Author:  Phizzy Chan
Title:  Sterile

Disclaimer: Slayers belongs to Hajime Kanzaka, and I make no profit from this story

Written for a request at the slayers adult community at livejournal

Slayers, Amelia/Zelgadis: sterility - He couldn't give her an heir, yet another reason to hate Rezo.

~~~~~~

Amelia’s clean fingernails left marks on the nice, old fashionably cut white furniture. Zelgadiss winced a little. If a librarian saw that, it wouldn’t be Amelia who would get the lecture and the dark looks when asking for a book tucked away from easy access. She wouldn’t have to suffer through the disapproval.

But he wasn’t in a position to lecture the princess about that. Not right now.

“Zelgadiss.”

One of her heels slipped off her foot and clattered to the ground. He tried not to flinch, already nervous about being here. What if someone saw? Already their luck had nearly run out several times. Snapshots of places passed through his mind: In the big darkly lit game parlor, on the pool table, the hard balls besides them clacking in a horrible manner that reminded him of teeth while Amelia threatened him with a pool cue; in the various gardens, pushed up against the growing, creeping ivy, nearly feeling the ridiculous flower she’d tucked behind his hair tickle his ear; rolling over a pitiful sapling since they couldn’t even fit into the sad little tent Lina had bought for them on their even sadder honeymoon.

And those were just the incidents the chimera wanted to focus on. There was that other time, at the hot spring…when Lina, then Gourry walked in. And that time, his office when one of the guards had nearly walked in. That time at the inn where the owner had yelled at him for getting his hair stuck in the wall, and how had he managed that when it wasn’t even his room?

But never the library. It was a sacred place, although Zelgadiss would never admit that aloud. He was not religious and refused to attend the temple as Amelia did, but in this book lined room, he would fall to his knees and pray. Usually, in a metaphorical way, however.

Amelia had a way of twisting his earlier ideas and getting her way though. She’d been trying to cozy up to him in this secluded part of the library for a long time, and as gradually his suspicious glares stopped working, and she summoned up enough courage to do more than simply rest a foot comfortable in his lap, he understood in a dim way what would eventually happen. And after a month of pushing her increasingly familiar body off his legs, noticing the dark playful look, the way she slowly and subtly shifted a book shelf to further cut the small room off even further…eventually he gave in.

It was the thinking ahead and planning of her gesture that did it. Her scheming and calculated idea always had that effect on him.
Once she’d denounced a corrupted baron, single-handed revealing his plans for taking over some duke that was a distant relative of the Saillune family. Nothing could set her off quite like her family under attack, even if they were a third cousin. They spent the night and most of the following morning in bed, limbs wrapped around each other, in celebration of her victory. She had the baron exiled not soon after she’d had to apply healing spells in order to hide the bruises.

She stared down at him, eyes narrowed just a little. The smile that he was aware was close to his own pulled the corners of her mouth upward.

“I knew I could convince you.”

So for revenge he pushed her down onto the cold couch. She only smirked and Zelgadiss tried not to focus on anything. It was just them, just the two of them, although Amelia was currently trying to remedy that, as she slid her fingers against his thighs and then unbuttoned his pants.

Just them, forever

and

ever

The leather they were resting on made way too much noise. It creaked every time they moved, and someone surely had to hear. She squirmed against him, and he closed his eyes. Her thighs felt cold in comparison to his penis between them.

It was just Amelia, warm and sweet, hips working against his, him groaning, hands resting on her sides almost painfully, angling. There, and there, and her tightening while his fingers left bruises on her pale skin. The contrast of their skin, even after all this time, still mesmerized him.

He shuddered, over and over, watching her hand slide between her legs to touch herself, the muscles tightening, and listening to Amelia gasp. Zelgadiss smiled when she twisted and held off a yell in her throat.

She pushed a lock of hair away from her reddened face.

Then she reached for a dog-eared notebook.

“So that’s twice this week already. We’re getting better at this.”

“So this was just a ploy?”

She raised an eyebrow much too smugly. But Zelgadiss was losing any mood he’d had to play. “A ploy?”

“To get you…pregnant.”

They no longer circled around the old argument. Now they just openly would discuss the possibility of the heir Amelia wanted and needed to one day bear.

“We don’t know that. You have never met a chimera that was exactly like you, right?”

Always patient; she had to be to have married him. Especially since he’d sat her down and explained that he could almost certainly never get her pregnant, and therefore he had to refuse her almost-offer of becoming Prince Consort. Which resulted in a fight that became a screaming match that eventually tapered off when Amelia dropped to one knee and formally proposed. “I want to marry you,” tears on her scared pink face. All she had left were simple facts. “I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

“You can’t get your hopes up like this.” He stared at her, at the book.

Zelgadiss remembered Amelia’s face Lina when she’d gotten pregnant. It was still a shock to see her waddling around because she had a child growing inside her rather than another full course at meal time. Gourry was bearing a smug smile that remained undiminished even as Lina would smack him around, screaming that her morning sickness was his fault, his filthy fault.

And the dark-haired woman had gazed up at him, her hands clasped girlishly while her eyes were distant and far away. In a daydream that no doubt involved pale, dark haired, dark eyed children. He would not have been surprised to discover she had picked out names for them, along with the exact number of offspring she wanted. Probably two, a boy and girl.

It truly made you wonder what gods would give that woman a baby, a squalling, crying baby while the closest thing Amelia had was holding Gourry up to heal his broken face, and promised babysitting duties. Amelia wasn’t bitter however.

She’d been so happy to see Lina’s distended stomach. It wasn’t unusual to look for the princess, only to find out she skipped out of some meeting or paper to sign. Then you would find her in a sitting room, gazing at Lina’s stomach raptly, and even consenting to run out to fetch her food. Amelia would be the one discussing names and whether it was a boy or not, what it would look like, would Lina and Gourry continue traveling with the baby? Lina mostly just shrugged, clearly unsure of what to do, and her strongest reaction came when Amelia asked if her family knew that they had a new addition

The sorceress hid in the closet, while the younger woman asked through the door if it was too soon to start buying baby clothes. All that, the swelling ankles and kicking and huge stomach and mood swings and weird cravings, were what she wanted. Or rather, she wanted the end result and in order to get there, she would gladly put up with the unpleasant effects of getting there.

Already, the chimera could imagine his wife’s reaction when Lina finally gave birth. Joy, and that fierce hope that maybe, one day, she might hold a child of her own flesh and blood. She wanted to have a child; his child. Amelia would make a wonderful mother, but what did he know about being a father? Would any child want to call him ‘dad’, as easily as Amelia did to hers?

He looked at his fingers, and tried not to think of what his own blood had done to him. Even in the darkened room, the pebbles dotting his skin were still as apparent as any scar.

“We’ll try, Zelgadiss said, trying to keep his voice from becoming too heavy. It was all he could do. This was his fault, the man who had raised him and protected him and betrayed him. “We can try.”


Go Back To Archive