Author:  Zephilia_Wine
Title:  New Revelations : Chapter 51 - 55

This fan fiction is purely fan made (thus the name FAN fiction) and is in no way actually affiliated with the creators of the actual Slayers franchise. I do not own Slayers and no copyright infringement is intended, nor is any profit being made off of this work of fiction.

 

On another note, this story contains an original character... [To see a picture of her click here]  (ducks the tomato's and balks at the boos and hisses) yes, yes i know. The character is based loosely on the concept of some of the works of the author R A Salvatore. Once again no copyright infringement is intended here. I merely borrowed the Do'Urden name for a while and a little fictional DNA here and there. (can sperm and eggs be copyrighted...?)

 

Another warning, this fanfic contains scenes of graphic, descriptive violence, as well as sex. This is a Yuri Fanfic as well so it will contain girl on girl sexual situations.

 

If you are offended by any of the things mentioned above or are NOT 18 years of age or older, TURN BACK NOW. You have been warned... now let the good times commence!

 

New Revelations

Chapter Selection

Chapter 51

(group banter on the road to Seyruun)

(L) “Zel’s sister…?” Lina asked around the skin of water she’d been drinking from as the four of them sat around a fire pit waiting for Katibree to finish cooking a midnight snack, or in their case dinner as the sun would be rising in only a short few hours. “That’s what you pulled Kat aside to ask her all serious like the other night, Gourry?” She added in disbelief.

(G) “Well yeah…” The blonde warrior said sheepishly, I just figured it was some big secret or something…”

(K) “Ridiculous…” The half drow scoffed while flipping a steak on the makeshift grill.

(S) “Doesn’t Mr. Zelgadis say things like that all the time though?” Sylphiel asked with a giggle.

The redhead looked over at the ex-assassin at this last statement with a smirk. “Yeah, he does doesn’t he…?” “Now that I’m really thinking about it, they really do kinda act the same at times…”

The mostly platinum haired warrior merely stress-marked and placed another steak on the grill silently at this.

(L) “They’re both big softies at heart, but try and cover it up by acting all tough and mysterious, and on top of that… they both hate being noticed by allot of people so whenever they go into public they do that cute widdle ‘hood flip’ thingy to cover their faces…” The sorceress continued to muse while struggling to keep a straight face while the half drow seethed across from her. “Maybe they really are related!”

(G) “Big softies at heart huh, Lina?” Gourry asked with a chuckle.

“Oh yeah, Gourry… we already know that Zel’s quite the talented musician and artist, but Kat here could definitely give him a run for his money.” The sorcery genius replied wryly.

(S) “Oh I never knew that Miss Katibree and Mr. Zelgadis had such a sensitive side to them… if the two of them ever meet up, we should definitely have them sing a duet for us all!” The shrine maiden exclaimed while clasping her hands together happily.

Katibree gained another stress-mark and began to blush noticeably at this but still remained silent and tended to the steaks.

(G) “Yeah, a brother sister duet!” The swordsman savant agreed enthusiastically.

(L) “Come to think of it… don’t the two of them even wear the same brand of cloak - -?”

(K) “Inverse…!” Katibree finally began through gritted teeth in a tone that the redhead knew all to well.

Lina tried to retain her composure, but that was just the last straw and she couldn’t help herself any longer. Gods, she hasn’t called me that in forever… she’s gotta be so mad - -“Pff…ffft - -Hawh, hah, hah, ha, ha, haaa…!” She exploded unable to even complete her thought mentally before descending into an unchecked fit of laughter.

(K) “Keep it up and you’ll find that your share of the steaks will be so badly burnt that even Gabriev wouldn’t find them edible.” The half elf said, barely stifling a chuckle of her own.

(G) “That’s pretty burnt!” Gourry laughed.

(S) “Maybe you should stop antagonizing Miss Katibree now Miss Lina, didn’t you tell me that Gourry dear even tried to eat a bomb once?” The raven haired girl added playfully.

Whew, she’s right about that one! The redhead thought to herself as she stopped laughing abruptly with a sweat-drop.“Aw come on Kat, you know I didn’t mean anything by it!” She said hurriedly with a nervous little giggle.

“I don’t know Lina… I think Nels Rada might have something there.” The mostly platinum haired warrior replied while in mock seriousness. “A little gun powder for seasoning just might give your steaks the kick they need…”

“Alright, aright, jeez…!” Lina finally said with a giggle. “Look guys, while it’s fun enough to laugh about…the truth is, any similarities in their appearance are complete coincidences.”

“Zelgadis originally started out as a regular human, he didn’t even take on the appearance that he has now until Rezo changed him into a chimera.” The redhead continued to explain somberly. “Katibree on the other hand, was born the way that she looks.”

(G) “Sooo… Katibree was… born a chime-whatever then…?” The blonde warrior asked while holding his chin in deep thought.

(K) Got to be fucking kidding meThe ex-assassin deadpanned to herself while nearly face-faulting into the fire pit.

(L) “…Hown - - NO you idiot, I’ve told you over and over again that she’s a half elf.” The sorcery genius reiterated haggardly while slapping a hand to her forehead.

(S) “Chimera’s can’t be born Gourry dear, only made…” Sylphiel managed quietly through the hand she was covering her face with.

(G) “Ok, well if she’s not a chime-whatever like Zelgadis is… then what’s up with her hair?” The swordsman savant inquired. “It looks just as metallic as Zel’s does.”

“Oh that… her hair may look like it’s fresh off the blacksmith’s forge but it’s actually…” Was all Lina managed before trailing off as Sylphiel made her way over to Katibree.

(S) “…As soft as silk!” The shrine maiden finished for the bemused redhead with a delighted little squeal while running her fingers through the mostly platinum mane with a girly giggle.

(L) “Uhm… what Sylphiel just said…yeah.” The redhead said while watching the spectacle with a grin.

“Nels Rada…?” Katibree began stiffly.

“Yes Miss Katibree?” The raven haired girl asked cheerfully.

“Just what do you think you are doing…?” The ex-assassin asked while placing another batch of steaks on the grill with a fresh stress-mark on her forehead.

“Oh but your hair is so pretty and soft Miss Katibree, just let me brush it a little please?”

“Absolutely not, Nels Rada… now kindly stop that.”

“Come now, don’t be that way Miss Katibree, we’re all friends here now right…?”

The sorcery genius giggled quietly at the two girl’s antics a moment more before the sound of Gourry’s voice drew her attention.

(G) “Hey Lina…?”

“Yeah Gourry?” Lina asked while glancing over at the swordsman savant inquisitively.

“Well, I recognize your short sword, it’s the same one you’ve always used off and on over the years, but what’s up with the scimitar strapped to the back of your belt?” The blonde warrior asked. “That’s definitely a new addition.”

“Oh that, well… it was kind of a gift actually.” The redhead replied.

“Someone just gave a weapon of that quality away?” Gourry asked in disbelief.

“That ‘someone’ was Kat, and yeah… she gave it to me a while back when I first bought the mercenary outfit you and Sylphiel saw for the first time the other night.” The sorceress explained. “She thought the addition of a second sword would make the getup look more authentic.”

“Well yeah, that’s why I didn’t ask about it earlier really; I just figured it was part of your disguise, but then I got a better look at the weapon today once you’d taken your cape off.” The blond warrior said. “So what purpose does it have when you’re wearing your regular gear?”

“What do you mean?” The sorceress asked while trying her best at slight of hand for a steak that was already done while the ex-assassin was still preoccupied with a certain shrine maiden.

“It’s a beautiful enough weapon, but it’s not going to do you much good for looks strapped to the back of your belt, well at least not wearing something that has a cape anyway.” The swordsman savant said with a shrug.

“What are you talking about Gourry, the position it’s strapped at it the position I draw it from…” Lina replied distractedly, having almost reached her goal of snagging a delicious steak unnoticed and out of turn.

“So you use the scimitar instead now; then what’s the short sword still there for Lina…?” Gourry asked perplexedly.

“No, Gourry I used them both at the - - OW!” The redhead began to explain before her hand was slapped painfully by a not as distracted as she’d hoped half drow.

(K) “They’re almost done, hold your horses - -No Nels Rada, just put the brush away and stop looking at me like that already.” The mostly platinum haired griped at first one sorceress and then the other on either side of her.

(G) “So you’re trying to tell me that you’ve gotten good enough to dual wield now?” The blonde warrior laughed.

“Yeah I have, what’s so hard to believe about that?” The sorcery genius asked defensively while still nursing her hand with a pout.

“No way…” The swordsman savant said with a dismissive gesture.

Way.” Lina shot back. “You wanna see if you’re so smug after you’re walking around with one of these blades turned sideways up your ass…?” She added sweetly.

“Let me see your weapon, that’ll be proof enough.” Gourry said with a smirk. “I’ve already got one challenge pending as it is!”

“…Yeah, whatever.” The redhead replied after a short pause before reaching back and drawing the scimitar and giving it a quick flip to present it to the swordsman savant hilt first.

“Whoa, that’s master worked for sure…” The blonde warrior marveled while holding the blade up to get a better look at the intricate designs forged into the blade of the weapon. “So Katibree has never used her before then…?”

“Well, no but she always kept it up even before she gave it to me.” The sorceress replied while giving the blonde warrior a strange look. Her…?

“Yeah, I can tell… And you’ve been taking great care of her as well I can see.” He replied before squinting as he spotted a tiny little symbol that represented a clan he didn’t recognize inscribed into the guard of the weapon. I wonder why Katibree rejected her own heirloom and just gave it away after taking care of it for so long…? The swordsman savant wondered while twisting the blade back and forth to let the fading light of the stars and moon play along the length of it. Well from the way Lina drew it just now, she at least normally uses it with her off hand... The master swordsman continued to muse as his mind began to conjure a vision of the sorceress in action, basing how she defended and attacked with the weapon by studying the length, angle, and depth of the faint but telling and various scratches and scores on the surface of the newly tested weapon with a smile. Lina must really be something else to watch in a swordfight now, especially with that new mercenary getup that she wears now…He mused with a decidedly dreamy looking expression on his face.

“Uhm… Gourry…?” Lina began to ask unsurely. What’s that dopey look all about..?

(K) “Hey, Gabriev.” Katibree called a bit more forcefully than she’d intended to. “If you’re done necking with the ‘sword’ over there, foods up.” She added more quietly while averting her lavender colored gaze before it could be confronted with a questioning ruby colored one.

“Heh, heh… yeah, right…!” The swordsman savant laughed embarrassedly while handing the scimitar back to the redhead with a slight blush and reaching for a makeshift stone plate.

(L) Was Gourry blushing just now, or was that just me…?And what exactly did Kat mean by ‘necking’ with the sword…?” The redhead wondered to herself. I definitely missed something here… “So what was that all about just now?” She finally asked as she reached for a plate of her own while looking first at one master swordsman and then the other.

(K) “…Let’s just say you can tell allot about the owner of a weapon, as well as it’s past owners just by looking at it if you’re experienced enough.” The ex-assassin replied before taking a bite of steak.

(L) “Ohhh… I get it, prying were we Gourry…?” Lina asked coyly.

“Well, maybe a little… but I stopped as soon as I realized what I was doing didn’t I…?” The blond warrior said sheepishly.

(K) “Yeah, more like after you were caught in the act…” The half drow said under her breath while looking dead at the swordsman savant and moving a loose fist back and forth with a knowing smirk in a gesture that mirrored a certain act while neither sorceress was looking.

(L) “Did you just say something Kat…?” The sorcery genius asked as she and Sylphiel began to turn their attention back to the still crudely gesturing half elf.

(G) “Uh, she said: Well at least I had some tact!” The blonde warrior fabricated while blushing all the more profusely.

(L) Ok, now I’m officially lost. The sorceress thought to herself while turning from Gourry’s distraction back to Katibree with a ‘yeah right’ look on her face, just barely missing the crude gesture that had transform into an innocent scratch of the nose just before Lina turned around, but not before succeeding in nearly giving the blonde warrior a heart attack.

(S) “Gourry dear… are you feeling ok, you look very flushed…” Sylphiel began while setting down her plate worriedly.

“I’ll fine Sylphiel, I’m just excited to hear what name Lina’s going to give her weapon!” The swordsman savant laughed nervously.

(L) “What name I’m going to give it…?” The redhead asked somewhat absently while holding the scimitar up to the brightening sky herself and twisting it back and forth, mimicking what the blonde warrior had done earlier. All I see are a few tiny scratches, I don’t get it…

“That’s right, she’s a good strong sword and now she’s finally got a master to accept and wield her.” Gourry said more somberly. “It’s only right that she should finally get a name.”

The sorceress gave the ex-assassin a questioning glance at this statement.

“I’m sure she’s been itching to finally have one.” The mostly platinum haired warrior affirmed with a small smirk.

“Alright… but I’m definitely not going to go with anything stuffy sounding like Chiba, Gorunova, or Murakami…” Lina mused while running her ruby colored gaze over the symbols and designs on the scimitar as the light of dawn breaking shimmered along the surface of it.

(K) She actually remembered their names, I didn’t even think she was paying attention…The ex-assassin thought to herself while averting her eyes, the tips of her ears beginning to redden slightly.

“I think… I think I’ll name her ‘Twinkle’.” The sorcery genius finally decided with a smile. “Yeah, Twinkle will work!”

(S) “I think that’s very pretty Miss Lina.” The shrine maiden cheerfully.

(K) “Twinkle huh…?” Katibree mused before finally breaking into a smile of her own. “I think that suits her.”

(G) “Definitely!” Gourry agreed heartily. “And I’d say this is cause for a toast!” He added while rummaging around in a pack for toasting ‘utensils’.

(K) “I second that!” The half drow agreed with a laugh.

(L) “With you two, anything’s cause for a toast…” The redhead said with a roll of her eyes.

(S) “Uhm, Miss Katibree… don’t you have first watch today?” Sylphiel asked before taking a dainty bite of steak.

“Yeah I do…but I can always cheat right?” The ex-assassin asked while giving Lina a coy glance.

(L) “You’ve gotta be kidding me Kat.” The sorceress deadpanned.

“Come on, it’s just one cheap spell before I start my watch.” The half elf persisted while stifling a laugh.

“You want to get drunk and then have me De Cleary you right before watch.” The sorcery genius deadpanned once more while lowering her eyelids.

(S) “That’s very unhealthy Miss Katibree…” The shrine maiden chided from behind the redhead.

“Don’t be that way Red, come on pleeeeease…?” Katibree asked while clasping her hands together cutely.

(L) Jeez, cut it out with the cute act already…Lina thought to herself with a blush. “Honestly Kat, sometimes you’re like a big alcoholic kid.”

(K) “Oh, get the spiced rum too Gabriev!” The half elf added over her shoulder to the blonde warrior.

(L) “Uhm, why are you acting like I’ve already said yes…?” The redhead asked while folding her arms.

(G) “Spiced Rum, right!” Gourry’s muffled voiced affirmed from half way inside of one travel pack or another.

(K) “What, you want to bargain?” The ex-assassin laughed.

“Yeah, what’s in it for me?” The younger girl said, switching over to a business-like tone.

“I’ll be your best friend.” The half elf offered with a smirk.

“No dice.” Lina said with a giggle.

“I’ll do your laundry for a week.”

You do that most of the time anyway… “Not happenin’.”

“Ok, I’ll cook…. whatever you want for breakfast.”

“Hummmmm………………………………… nope, no deal.”

(S) “Oh dear, I think you’re in trouble Miss Katibree…” Sylphiel laughed.

“Yeah, I’m afraid I’m going to have to agree with you there, Nels Rada...” The half drow said with a smirk.

(S) “I guess that means ‘I win’ then…” The shrine maiden said quietly. “That’s Sylphiel 1, Miss Katibree 0 right…?” She added with a shy little smile.

“H-hey…!” The mostly platinum haired warrior balked.

(L) “Whoa, way to go Sylphiel!” Lina cheered.

(K) “Ok, now I really want to drink.” Katibree sighed.

(L) “I’m still listening…” The younger girl said wryly.

“Uhm… I’ll…. Give you a piggyback ride until we get to the next campsite tomorrow…?” The older girl tried unsurely.

“I’ll give you points for originality, but not interested.” The redhead replied while closing her eyes and turning her head to the side haughtily.

“Ok, ok…” Katibree said while folding her arms and looking up at the sky with a sigh. “…One freebie.” She finally conceded.

One ruby colored eye popped open at this last offer. “No strings?” The sorceress asked.

“No strings.” The mostly platinum haired warrior affirmed with a laugh.

“You’ve got yourself a deal.” Lina agreed somberly before breaking into a grin.

(S) “A freebie…?” Sylphiel mused. “Does that mean that Miss Katibree has to pay for your next lunch or something Miss Lina…?”

“Uhm… well heh…” The redhead faltered, caught of guard by the question.

(K) “Yup, all she can eat!” Katibree called having already made her way back over to the fire pit and brandishing a bottle of rum.

The sorcery genius blushed vividly at the shameless innuendo of this last statement but couldn’t help but play along herself. “Hey pull the wine out too will ya, that’s always cause for celebration…!”

Chapter 52

(S) I suppose that standing watch isn’t so bad. Sylphiel mused to herself while checking the kettle of water that she’d hung over the camp fire to boil. It’s actually really peaceful with everyone else asleep, well aside from Dear Gourry’s snoring…She added to herself with a little giggle as she prepared some tea leaves.

I don’t mind his snoring; it’s kind of comforting in a strange way… although I’m sure that Miss Katibree would beg to differ considering she needed earplugs to get to sleep this morning… The shrine maiden thought with a glance over to the area of the campsite that the half elf had chosen to bed down for the day at… which was a considerable distance from the other two slumbering party members.

Miss Lina did try to warn her that the more Gourry dear drinks, the louder he snores…But, I guess it’s really one of those things that you can’t fully comprehend until you’ve actually heard it…

Oh good, the water’s finally boiling. She thought to herself cheerfully while going about the task of making herself a fresh cup of tea.

The raven haired girl began to bring the cup up to her lips for a small sip, but faltered while looking down into it perplexedly.

That’s odd…did the tea just…?

Yes, there it is again…I’m almost certain of it… Sylphiel pondered while watching as the liquid in the cup rippled slightly. I don’t feel anything, but…She trailed off worriedly while standing up and scanning the area. But, Miss Lina did say to wake her if I noticed anything out of the ordinary… She finished before walking over to Lina and trying to shake her awake with her free hand while holding the cup of tea in the other.

“Miss Lina, wake up please… I think you should see this.” She called quietly.

The redhead woke up much easier than the shrine maiden had expected she would, to her surprise and relief.

“Sylphiel… what’s up?” The sorceress asked groggily.

“Take a look at this.” The raven haired girl said while holding out her cup of tea as the liquid within it settled once more.

“The… cup?” Lina asked in annoyance while propping herself up on her elbows.

“No Miss Lina, the tea inside…” Sylphiel explained while holding the cup closer.

“The tea inside - -?“ The sorcery genius began shortly before cutting off what she was saying and squinting into the cup as the surface of the liquid was disturbed once more. What the hell...? If anything was large enough nearby to cause that, we should definitely feel or at least hear something unless… She trailed off mentally while observing the tea a few more moments more in silence.

(S) “I’m not certain if whatever is causing it is getting closer or not because I can’t hear or feel anything but…” The shrine maiden began before trailing off as Lina tossed the covers off of herself and stood abruptly, padding off in Katibree’s direction.

Unless whatever’s causing this is something we just aren’t capable of sensing…The redhead deducted as she made the rest of her way to the sleeping half drow before plopping down next to and partially on top of her sleeping bag, causing the larger girl to start awake as she reached down and yanked out a earplug unceremoniously.

Ow damn it…” The older girl hissed while sitting up and removing the other earplug on her own much more carefully while nursing her abused pointed ear. “What was that for…?” She complained while giving the sorceress an indignant revenge shove before trailing off with a perplexed expression on her face as she gazed around the campsite suspiciously.

“What the hell is that noise…?” The half elf finally asked with some alarm while sliding her blades from underneath her pillow as the sorcery genius gauged her reaction before standing wordlessly to go and wake up Gourry.

(S) “You can hear something Miss Katibree?” Sylphiel asked while still holding her heroic cup of tea.

“Yeah, it’s like a… deep keening noise if… that makes any sense.” The mostly platinum haired warrior tried to explain while walking over to a tree of decent height to scale.

(L) “Gourry… wake up…” Lina called while shaking the still snoring swordsman savant.

(S) “Is it nearby…?” The shrine maiden called as the ex-assassin began to climb the tree to get a better view.

“I don’t know, it’s almost like the sound is coming from everywhere at once.” Katibree replied with a grunt as she pulled herself further up into the more sparse branches.

“Gourry, rise and shine!” The redhead continued, having resorted to slapping the side of the blonde warrior’s face before beginning to shake him down right violently. “Gou-rry…!”

(G) “Hum, what…?” The swordsman savant finally asked sleepily. “Is it time for breakfast or something?”

Having finally made it to the top of the tree, the half elf stayed there a long moment, just gazing at what the horizon revealed to her expressionlessly before finally making her way back down to the ground.

“So what’s the deal?” / “Did you see anything?” Lina and Sylphiel asked simultaneously while Gourry rubbed some sleep from his eyes with a yawn.

Katibree ran a hand through her mostly platinum colored mane before answering with a sigh. “The deal is, what I saw isn’t any of our concern.” “Our best bet is to just pack up and move camp.” She added matter of factly.

(L) I’ll take your word for it Kat… but Sylphiel on the other hand…The redhead thought with a sigh of her own.

(S) “Well, what was it…?” The shrine maiden persisted.

“To give you an idea, it’s actually past the tree canopies of this forest and still further down into that canyon area headed north...” The ex-assassin replied. “And even at that distance, I could still see it’s head and some of it’s shoulders.” She finished with a grin.

The sorceress raised a single crimson eyebrow at this while the raven haired girl gaped.

(L) “A titan all the way out here…?” Lina finally asked in bemusement.

“A Sea Titan to be exact.” Katibree confirmed.

(L) “Well, that explains what was going on with the tea at least…” The redhead said with a shrug. “That noise it’s making is probably specialized for use underwater…”

(S) “Isn’t there a town in that canyon area?” Sylphiel asked worriedly.

(K) “Yes, but it doesn’t seem to be so much attacking the town as it’s looking for something.” The half drow mused.

“Oh that horrible…we have to help them!” The shrine maiden said.

(L) And here we go… The redhead thought to herself with a rustle of her crimson colored mane.

(K) “You’ve got to be kidding me Nels Rada, don’t you have any sense of self-preservation at all?” Katibree deadpanned.

“Of course I do Miss Katibree, no one wants to die… But if people need our help - - “ Sylphiel began before being cut off by the mostly platinum haired warrior.

(K) “Ok, what part are you not understanding about the reason that we’re on this schedule to begin with?” The ex-assassin asked pointedly. “Engaging in a drawn out battle with that thing is about the least stealthy thing that we can do at this point.”

(G) “Whew, count me outta this one…” The blonde warrior said while clasping his hands behind his head with a quiet chuckle as Lina casted a Ray Wing spell to get a view of the titan out of morbid curiosity.

“Miss Katibree, how could you be so cold when the whole town may be destroyed?” Sylphiel asked crossly.

“That town isn’t any of my concern; us living to fight another day is my concern.” The half elf replied with a disinterested gesture while leaning against a nearby boulder and gazing up at the sky.

“What would make this battle any different from any of the other ones that we’ve fought in the past besides the fact that the opponent is larger?” The raven hair girl persisted. “I thought you liked a challenge Miss Katibree.”

“You’re missing the point here Nels Rada; I like a good fight as well as any other self-respecting warrior does, but it’s not the Sea Titan that’s the problem here.” The half drow said while locking eyes with her.

“Then what is the problem Katibree, what else could possibly matter when innocent lives are at stake?” The shrine maiden challenged.

“Well, as long as we’re dropping the formalities here…” Katibree began while shrugging off of the boulder she’d be leaning against and walking up to the raven haired girl with her arms folded. “The problem Sylphiel, is the attention that having a massive battle with that creature is going to draw to us; have you ever thought of the possibility that this titan may have been lured out here just to bait us into an ambush?”

Sylphiel faltered at this a moment, but steeled her resolve once more. “…No I hadn’t Miss Katibree, but… that’s something that I’m willing to risk when helpless people need aid.” “Are you really content to leave them to that fate when you have the power to change it?” She added while locking eyes with the ex-assassin once more.

Look, if you’re fishing for a humanitarian, bleeding heart, bullshit answer here, you’re in for a world of disappointed because I’m a realist, Sylphiel.” The mostly platinum haired warrior said bluntly. “I’ve already given you my opinion on what it logically makes sense for us to do in this situation, and that opinion still stands.” In the end, it’s not as if the final say goes to me anyway. She added silently while glancing over as Lina touched down from her impromptu titan stakeout and made her way back over to them.

“…Gourry dear…?” The raven haired girl finally implored in frustration.

“Oh no, I know better than to get in the middle of this; I decided to sit this one out awhile ago.” The blonde warrior said.

“And… do you feel this way as well Miss Lina?” Sylphiel asked while turning to the approaching sorcery genius.

“I’m going to have to agree with Kat’s previous statement here Sylphiel, it’s really none of our concern.” The redhead replied while closing her eyes and folding her arms. “Tragedies happen all the time; if we tried to save everyone, we’d never get anything done.”

“I…. I understand that, but this isn’t like some bandit attack, or even an attack from trolls…” The raven haired girl began. “It’s just not natural that a Sea Titan would wander out this far…”

“Yeah, I was actually kind of wondering what it was doing all the way out here myself…” The sorceress mused more to herself than anyone else.

(S) “It may be a trap, but at the same time it could be the byproduct of that huge tsunami that hit awhile back…” Sylphiel deducted. “Miss Katibree did say that it appears to be looking for something, so is it really so far of a stretch to think that maybe the tsunami uprooted and brought something to shore that belongs to it?”

Lina twitched visibly at this statement causing the ex-assassin to roll her lavender colored eyes. “Mine as well get geared up Gabriev…” She said quietly.

“Oh, are we gonna go fight it then…?” The swordsman savant asked lightly while picking up his chest plate.

“Yeah, I think it’s… pretty much everything but official.”

(S) “Either way, it’s not some common occurrence that the town’s people have even the remotest capabilities of combating.” The shrine maiden continued while fixing the redhead with her gentle but firm jade colored gaze. “It… it just isn’t right to turn a blind eye to their plight Lina.”

“Hooownn…!” The redhead groaned while beginning to rustle her crimson mane in frustration. So annoying...! Kat’s logic is solid as usual, but if I go that route… As strongly as Sylphiel feels about this, she’ll just go off on her own and try and get herself killed and end up dragging us along anyway… And then there’s the fact that there’s actually a decent chance that this whole mess is my fault in a round about way to begin with…! Damnit! Why can’t anything“go smoothly for a change…!?” She finally blurted while stamping her foot.

After taking a moment to get her temper back in check the redhead finally spoke once more. “Alright… gear up.” She said while smoothing out her crimson mane with a resigned sigh.

(G) “Looks like you were right!” Gourry said cheerfully while slinging his sword over his shoulder.

“Yup.” Katibree affirmed while securing her own blades to her belt. “Way ahead of you Red.” She added with a casual glance in the direction of the sorceress.

(L) Called that one, did ya Kat…? The redhead thought while shooting her an annoyed glare that the older girl pretended not to notice. “And that’s actually pretty good wording Kat, because you and Gourry are both about to be quite physically ‘way ahead’ of me.” She added with a sinister crack of her knuckles.

(G) “Hum…?” Gourry asked while the ex-assassin next to him sweat-dropped.

“Just… do me a favor and go stand by that ledge over there.” Lina explained with a smirk before making a picture frame in the direction that she’d indicated with her forefingers and thumbs.

(G) “You mean… this ledge right here…?” The blonde warrior asked as he walked over to the cliff overlooking the forest.

“That’s the one Gourry.” The redhead affirmed with a grin. “Go on Katibree, you too…” She added coyly.

(K) “…Weren’t you the one bitching a few months ago about support characters doing reckless things?” The ex-assassin asked as she made her way over to the ledge as well while still sweat dropping.

“Oh I’m sure you’ve got your feet pretty firmly in the plot by now Kat…” The sorcery genius assured her before licking a finger and holding it up to test the wind.

(S) “Plot…?” The shrine maiden asked in confusion.

(L) “I’m going to need your help on this one too Sylphiel, gimmie a wind barrier when I say to...” Lina said. “…Right around the two of them.” She added with an evil little smile sporting a fang.

(S) “A wind barrier - -?” “Oh, Miss Lina you wouldn’t?” The raven haired girl balked.

“Look Sylphiel, you’re the one that wanted to save the town, and it’s miles away; and if we don’t get there soon, there won’t be a town left to save, which pretty much defeats the purpose of going there to begin with…” Lina explained matter of factly.

“But we can just Ray - -“

“Yes we can Ray Wing there Sylphiel, and we are going to do just that…” “But Katibree and Gourry here can’t fly, and we’d be completely exhausted carrying the two of them all the way there and pretty much useless in the fight once we got there.” The redhead continued to explain. “And on top of that, doing it this way will get the two of them there now to start distracting the titan that’s currently terrorizing the helpless, innocent, needy, annoying towns folk while we Ray Wing there more slowly.” She said while turning to glare at the shrine maiden meaningfully.

(G) “Uhm… Katibree… what are Lina and Sylphiel talking about…?” The swordsman savant asked.

(K) “I wouldn’t worry about it too much Gabriev.” The mostly platinum haired warrior said while sitting down with a resigned sigh and propping up her head with an elbow. I guess ignorance really is bliss…

(L) “Now kindly give me a wind barrier just before I fire Sylphiel.” The sorcery genius reiterated with a sweet smile. “And you should probably make it a good one… I’m pretty mad.”

“Oh, dear - -” The raven haired girl began worriedly.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows…” The redhead interjected agitatedly.

(G) “K-Katibree… where is she aiming that thing…?” Gourry asked with growing nervousness.

Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows…”

(K) “Where does it look like she’s aiming it?” Katibree replied while opening a flask of wine and taking a pull from it.

“I pledge myself to conquer, all the foes who stand, before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand…”

(G) “Well… call me crazy, but it looks like she’s aiming it at us…” Gourry said with a nervous laugh.

“Bingo.” Katibree replied while closing the container and standing.

“Then……. why aren’t we running away??” The swordsman savant exclaimed while trying to bolt as the mostly platinum haired warrior held on to the end of his hair.

“Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess!”

(K) “Come on Gabriev don’t be such a baby, if we die at least we can haunt her together!”

(S) “M-Miss Lina this is - -“

Sylphiel, I’m going to cast this whether you put up that barrier or not so I suggestyouputitup!”

“OH Cepheid protect them… Wind Barrier!”

(G) “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!” The blonde warrior shouted while flailing his arms as both he and Katibree began to levitate and a large transparent barrier formed around them.

(K) Jeez, didn’t even get a blindfold and a cigarette…The half elf thought to herself wistfully while rapping a knuckle against the inside of the force field a few times before standing and placing her back against it and bracing herself. “Gabriev, move it.”

“What do you think I’ve been trying to do?!” The swordsman savant exclaimed while trying to claw his way out of the force field.

The redhead closed a ruby colored eye to better size up the protection spell while adjusting the angle and force of the blast that would be dispelled accordingly. And the barrier is at it’s strongest point………thereDragooooon…..!”

(S) Oh please hold, please hold, please hold, please…! Sylphiel prayed to any God that happened to be listening while squeezing her eyes shut and concentrating with everything that she had.

(K) “That’s not what I meant Gabriev, I meant move from in front of me - -“

Slaaave!” The sorcery genius exclaimed while letting loose a large beam of red and white magic from her extended palms that catapulted the wind barrier like a cannon ball.

(G) “I’m going to get you back so bad for this Linaaaaa - -OOF!” Gourry shouted as the velocity of the shot forced him from where he’d been standing in the middle of the barrier to the back wall of it, crushing a decidedly displeased ex-assassin underneath him.

Uhn damn it, Gabriev…!” “Don’t you know physics at all??” Came the mostly platinum haired warrior’s muffled complaint from underneath the swordsman savant’s chest plate as the barrier hurdled through the forest toward the canyon ahead.

(S) “Miss Lina, I don’t think I’m going to be able to hold the barrier… all the way there!” The shrine maiden said with noticeable strain in her voice.

“Oh come on Sylphiel, did you really think I expected you to keep the barrier up all on your own…?” Lina replied while walking over and placing a hand on the taller girl’s golden shoulder pad with a laugh. “I was just counting on you to protect them from the initial blast yourself, of course I’ll help you reinforce it through all the tree impacts and stuff afterwards.” She added more quietly while frowning in concentration herself as she strengthened and repaired the raven haired girl’s barrier with her own added magical energy.

Soon enough, the Dragon Slave Cannon Ball had cleared the forest and made it’s way into the canyon with a screaming Gourry and cursing Katibree tangled and struggling comedicly inside it.

The Sea Titan had just turned to look at the incoming object wailing toward it as the ball of collective master swordsman entered the town area and roared angrily as the transparent ball hit it soundly in the mid section, nearly causing it to lose it balance as the barrier cannon ball bounced off before hitting the ground and popping, spilling the tangle of half elf and swordsman savant out and onto the ground abruptly.

(L) “Whoa, did you feel that last fluctuation in the barrier Sylphiel??” Lina asked back at the camp site cheerfully. “Something that we had to work that hard to keep stabilized was a direct hit for sure!”

“Should you really have enjoyed doing that so much Miss Lina…?” The shrine maiden asked with a sweat-drop.

“Eh, heh… well no, probably not… but I sure did!” The sorcery genius said with a laugh.

“Well I think it’d be best to go and see if they’re alright now…” The raven hair girl said quietly while lifting off with a Ray Wing.

“Yeah, I’ll be right behind ya… just need to grab something first!” The redhead called back.

(K) “Such an idiot, Gabriev!” The ex-assassin growled while squirming to get from underneath the much larger warrior sprawled on top of her.

“What’d I do??” The swordsman savant asked while attempting to get up himself. “I already told you I don’t know any psychics so why are you so mad?”

“I said physics, not psychics; you nearly crushed me to death during the ride here you blockhead…!” The mostly platinum haired warrior said while standing and brushing herself off before both of them froze as a very large pair of yellow eyes towered over and began to scrutinize them, the creature’s indigo colored beard sweeping along the ground.

(G) “Uhm, I guess we got it’s attention…” Gourry laughed while rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

“Ya think?” Katibree asked while unsheathing a blade with a grin.

“Definitely, but how are we supposed to take on something like this?”

“Well, first things first…” The half drow said before chucking the blade at the creature’s face and gouging it’s cheek, causing it to rear back and clutch it while roaring loudly in anger. “We need to lead it away from town.” She explained with an involuntary wince as the sound of the roar rung her ears painfully.

“And just how are we supposed to do that - - WHOA!” The blonde warrior suddenly exclaimed as he and the mostly platinum haired warrior ran in opposite directions and dodged to either side at the last moment as a massive pale blue fist slammed down where they’d just been standing and shook the ground with it’s impact, blasting chunks of rock and dirt in every direction.

“I suggest you start running, Gabriev!” The ex-assassin called wryly as she made her way to one of the titan’s feet in a run while catching her returning weapon.

“You don’t have to tell me twice!” The swordsman savant called back in dismay while following suit in a sprint to the opposing foot.

As the two master swordsmen closed in on either foot, they both jumped up and slashed at an ankle as they passed underneath and between the behemoth’s legs, eliciting another indignant bellow from the creature as it stooped and swatted at them before shambling in a circle to look for them once more.

Having lost sight of the warrior duo as they passed under it’s blind spot, the Sea Titan emitted the same noise that it had been using earlier.

Being much closer to the source this time, Katibree gasped in pain and nearly lost her footing as her vision blurred while running over the rocky terrain along side the blonde warrior as the overwhelming noise assaulted her eardrums.

After having relocated it’s adversaries, the titan continued it’s pursuit and caught up to them in less than two strides.

(G) “You doing Ok over there, Katibree?” Gourry called upon noticing the uncharacteristic lack of balance that the half elf was displaying.

“I’m fine Gabriev.” The ex-assassin replied grimly, barely having heard the swordsman savant’s inquiry over the ringing of her own ears as the two of them ducked and dodged between the massive feet crashing down and around them as the titan caught up to them with every other stride before falling behind once again.

Much further out, Sylphiel who was speeding over the tree canopy in the direction of the canyon, glanced over her shoulder as Lina came up behind her before finally catching up and flying side by side with her.

(S) “The titan is really moving now, so I guess the two of them are Ok!” The shrine maiden called to the redhead.

“Yeah, it looks like they’re leading it away from town right now!” The sorceress called back.

“Did you find what you were looking for…?” The raven haired girl asked.

“Yep, let’s kick it up a notch Ok Sylphiel?” The sorcery genius replied before picking up speed and shooting ahead of the taller girl.

“R-right!” Sylphiel affirmed while pushing herself in an effort to keep up with the redhead.

Meanwhile back at the canyon, Gourry and Katibree were coming up on a stretch of cliff wall that effectively served as a dead-end for them with the titan still hot on their heels.

(G) “Looks like the end of the line coming up!” The swordsman savant called.

“Yeah, double back?” The half elf replied.

“Let’s do it!” The blonde warrior affirmed with a grin.

As the warrior duo made it to the cliff wall, they jumped and ran up it vertically before jettisoning off just as the behemoth caught up and smashed into it, before twisting in mid air while sailing in the opposite direction to slash at the titan’s hamstrings on either side as they passed.

At this the Sea Titan let out a combo roar that threw off the ex-assassin’s equilibrium and caused her to completely botch her landing and go tumbling with a grunt as the creature began to hone in on her and Gourry’s new locations.

(G) “Hey, aren’t you always complaining to me about laying around on the job, Katibree…?” The swordsman savant called uneasily after noticing that the mostly platinum haired warrior had landed face down in the dirt behind him.

Dazed and disoriented, the mostly platinum haired warrior shook her head before getting unsteadily to her feet while the titan settled it’s gaze on the closest target which would be her and rose a fist to strike. The world is spinning…! She thought to herself with a gasp before staggering a few steps.

“That’s no good…!” The blonde warrior said while sprinting toward the half elf and tackling her out of the way at the last second as the massive hand came down, before rolling with her out of harms way and shielding her from the debris raining down afterwards.

(G) “Hey, you know it’s really dumb to just zone out on the battlefield like that.” Gourry said while grinning down at the half drow afterwards.

“Yeah… thanks for the save Gourry.” The mostly platinum haired warrior said while sitting back up with a wince as the dust began to clear along with the ringing in her ears.

“Don’t mention it, and don’t worry, I can keep this thing busy on my own until whatever’s going on with you passes!” The swordsman savant said good-naturedly as he stood before charging the Sea Titan once more with a battle cry.

(K) How…embarrassingThe ex-assassin thought to herself morbidly while holding her head as another aggravated roar from the titan sent yet another flash of pain through her ears. That I can handle even as loud as it is, but that secondary roar that it uses… I’ve got to find a way to - -

Just then Lina touched down next to her, interrupting her brooding. “Decided to sit this fight out for awhile, Hun?” She asked wryly while handing the older girl a much needed set of earplugs as she sized up the titan that Gourry was currently distracting.

“Impeccable timing as always, Red.” The mostly platinum haired warrior chuckled while taking the earplugs gratefully.

“What would ya do without me?” The smaller girl asked with a wink.

“For one thing, live a less hazardous life…!” The older girl replied with a quick wink and a smile before adjusting the earplugs as she made a b-line for the Sea Titan in a run.

“You’d be bored to tears and you know it!” Lina called after her with a laugh as Sylphiel landed beside her.

“I’m sorry I fell behind, you can really move when you want to Miss Lina.” The shrine maiden said somewhat breathlessly.

“No worries Sylphiel, you’re right on time!” The redhead replied sunnily. “You know the spell Stone Spiker don’t you?”

“Yes, I’ve learned it….”

“Good - - wait… you don’t cast that spell like you casted your Flare Arrows back in the day… do you?”

“No Miss Lina, I’ve improved drastically since those days…” The raven haired girl said with a giggle.

“Alright then let’s get to work, follow me Sylphiel!” The sorcery genius exclaimed while running off.

“Ooo-kay!” The shrine maiden affirmed while following after her.

(G) “Hey, welcome back!” The swordsman savant called to Katibree after dodging a titan foot that came crashing down near him before hacking at the limb with a counter attack.

“How goes the battle?” The mostly platinum haired warrior called back with a smirk.

“Not good, it’s like nothing I do is affecting this guy!” The blonde warrior shouted while ducking and rolling underneath a swiping attack from the titan’s hand. “The attacks are sticking, but they’re only making him angry like they’re just kitten scratches or something!”

Kitten scratches huh…? The half drow mused while running and jumping onto the huge hand as it whizzed by while digging her blades into the back of it to keep hold causing the creature to bellow and bring the hand back up.

(G) “Kat, what the heck are you doing!?” The swordsman savant cupped his hands and shouted as he watched the titan shake it’s hand in a vigorous attempt to dislodge the ex-assassin from several stories in the air, causing her to flail about wildly.

“You said regular attacks were like kitten scratches!” She called back while flipping herself upright and dislodging her weapons once the hand had steadied enough for her to move without losing her balance.

Yeah, so what does trying to fall to your death have to do with that?” Gourry shouted back up as Katibree sprinted and jumped from the back of the hand toward the titan’s arm just before the adjacent hand came down with a thunderous clap in an attempt to squash her.

“Whoa!” Katibree exclaimed as the resulting blast of air sent her flying off course, nearly knocking her from the arm completely before she could dig a blade into the forearm of the behemoth to catch herself once more. “Well, a kitten scratch to your foot or arm isn’t really to bad… but how do you think that one getting a hold of your eyes would feel?” She shouted back while scrambling up the muscular bicep while dodging the creature’s attempts to brush her off.

The swordsman savant put a hand on his chin at this. “Well, I guess that would suck pretty bad… I mean kittens may not be very strong, but they sure do have sharp claws…” He mused as the half drow made her way up to the shoulder of the titan before dodging yet another slap and being blasted off of it by the resulting shock of air and toppling backwards to find herself clinging to the hair on the creature’s upper back with one hand, dangling precariously. “Oh, now I get it, the eyes are it’s weak spot!” He deducted while slapping a fist into an open hand in enlightenment.

(L) “Ok Sylphiel, now give me two Stone Spikers about 50 meters that way the same as these!” Lina ordered from over half a mile out from the battle, receiving a dutiful nod from the taller girl before turning her attention to the two pillars already towering in front of her, one angling out of the ground and pointing in the direction of the titan with another tilted over that spike directly behind it. “Ok, let’s do this… Bu Brymer special…!” She exclaimed while touching the base of the lower pillar, shaping it into what looked like a sort of deep stone chute with a simple but effective base that allowed it to rotate.

(L) That’ll do! She thought to herself approvingly while slapping a hand on the pillar leaning over and directly above it. “And again!” She said while recasting the spell and shaping the second pillar into a smooth, sharpened and hollowed out spike before dusting off her hands and Ray Winging over to Sylphiel’s newest location.

(S) “Stone… Spiker!” The raven haired girl casted as the redhead landed next to her.

“Hey, you’ve actually gotten pretty good at this Sylphiel!” The sorceress said while shielding her eyes with a hand as she looked up and did some quick geometry in her head with the angles of the spikes.

“Oh… t-thank you…” The shrine maiden stammered while flushing with pleasure at the unexpected compliment from the sorcery genius. “I’ve been working really hard to try and become strong like you Miss Lina.” She added shyly.

“You’re definitely on the right track.” Lina replied with a smirk before slapping her hand down on the bottom pillar of this set of spikes as well. “Bu Brymer Special!”

“Uhm, but may I ask a question…?”

“I’m all ears, Sylphiel.”

“Well, how come we’re going through all of this trouble to fight this Sea Titan?” Sylphiel asked. “Wouldn’t it be easier for you to just blast it with a Dragon Slave, Miss Lina?”

“Well for one thing, that titan’s not just big, it’s got some serious constitution too.” “I’m guessing it’d probably take 2 to 3 Dragon Slaves to kill it considering it’s element’s water, and that’s amplified Dragon Slaves.” The redhead began to explain while testing the mobility of the newest chute base.

“Now I’ve read that titans in general aren’t very smart, but it’s only instinctive to focus on whatever hurts the most.” “After the first shot, that thing would be on me in a few strides and I’d be playing ring around the titan like Kat and Gourry are right now.” She continued while taking to the air and gesturing for the taller girl to follow her to the next location.

“And even if I could take it out in one shot, there’s be no way for Kat and Gourry to get out of the way of the blast radius.” “Katibree’s the only one of us with a prayer of out running the thing, and even if the titan didn’t decide to give up on chasing Kat and go after Gourry because he’s slower, there’s no way I’d be able to get a decent shot with them moving at those speeds no matter how good I am at math…” The sorcery genius said as they flew.

“And even if I did manage to somehow land the shot, I seriously doubt that Kat could outrun the blast radius of a Dragon Slave powerful enough to kill a full grown titan in one shot.” She finally finished as they touch down at the last spot.

“I didn’t realize you’d put so much thought into this already…” The raven haired girl replied quietly before working on the last set of Stone Spikers.

“I try and do that with every fight that I’m going to be getting into or have even a chance of getting into if I can foresee it happening at all.” Lina replied while squinting at what looked like an approaching ‘object’ incoming on the horizon. “Thinking like that is one of the things that’s kept me alive over the years.” She added while stepping to the side casually as a certain swordsman savant when whizzing by.

“I-I see - -” Sylphiel began crestfallenly before noticing the blonde warrior sail by herself. “OH Gourry dear…?!”

(G) “WhhhooaaAaAaaAAAAAaaaaaggghhhhhhhhhhHHHH!! - - OoF!!” Gourry shouted while skidding and tumbling not so gracefully along the rocky terrain before finally being stopped by a large boulder. “Uuuuuh….” He moaned miserablely afterwards.

(L) “Try to climb the Sea Titan Gourry…?” Lina asked wryly while shaping the spikes that Sylphiel had just made.

“But… Kat… made it look really easy…” The blonde swordsman said while yanking his face out of the dirt with a cough.

“Yeah, she has a tendency to do that.” The redhead replied while rubbing the back of her neck. “Anyway, we could actually use a little brute force over here Gourry, why don’t cha come give us a hand?”

“Uh sure…” The swordsman savant agreed as he headed over to them.

“Alright, do me a favor and cut the base of this spike so it falls into that chute deal underneath it…”

“Oh, that’s easy!” Gourry said before cutting the hollowed spike at a clean angle with a fluid swing of his 2 handed sword. “See, no sweat!” He added as it fell into the chute neatly.

“Oh, that’s great Gourry!” The redhead exclaimed cheerfully while clasping her hands together. “Now you only need to do the others the same way!”

“The others…?” The blonde swordsman asked while looking around. “B-but look how far away from each other they are - -“

“Time is of the essence Gourry, I could always help you get to them faster if you’d like...” Lina began evilly.

Alright, I’m going, I’m going, I’m going!” The swordsman savant shouted hurriedly, already running in the direction of the next stone contraption.

(L) “Meet us back at this one after your done Ok?” The redhead shouted after him.

“Don’t you think that maybe you’re being too hard on Dear Gourry, Miss Lina?” The shrine maiden asked worriedly.

“Relax Sylphiel, I know what I’m doing…” “Both Gourry and Kat are conditioned for this kind of stuff… they can do it all day.” “Mages like us need to conserve and recharge our magic reserves whenever we can in a situation where we aren’t sure how much of our powers we’re going to have to use for how long.” The sorcery genius said while shielding her ruby colored eyes in an attempt to monitor Katibree’s progress with the titan.

Back at the ongoing battle, the half drow had made her way back onto a shoulder of the behemoth after a series of thwarted attempts and unsheathed a blade before bounding from it's shoulder to the creature’s beard, catching a hold of a fist full of course indigo colored hair strands and swinging up wards while charging a blade and flinging it at a huge yellow eye.

The blade penetrated with a loud hissing noise as the creature roared in anguish so loudly that the ground in the surrounding area actually shook as it staggered backwards into the cliff wall behind it, causing parts of it to crumble while clutching at it’s face while the ex-assassin shimmied over to the other shoulder precariously to get a good shot at the other one and completely blind it.

(L) “I think she just got one of the eyes!” Lina said while climbing on top of the contraption for a better look as Gourry came jogging up.

“All set Captain!” The blonde warrior said with a salute.

“Great work Gourry!” The redhead replied somewhat distractedly. “Now I just need Kat to finish up her end of the deal.”

As she said that, the Sea Titan bellowed twice as miserably. (L) “And that would be our cue.” The sorceress said with a smirk before sending up a Rune Flare off to her right to let the half drow know which direction she’d be firing in.

(S) “Have you two… done this type of thing before Miss Lina?” Sylphiel asked while watching the mostly platinum haired warrior scramble to the titan’s right shoulder as Lina jumped down and directed Gourry to aim the device at the left side of the behemoth’s chest.

“No, not really…” The sorcery genius replied while positioning herself behind the hollowed out spike with her palms extended. “Bom Di… WIND!” She exclaimed, sending a massive blast of air into the hollowed spike, propelling it through the air toward the behemoth. The projectile struck, but was off course, embedding itself in the Sea Titan’s shoulder instead of Lina’s intended target… the heart.

Damn, the wind switched up on me…” The redhead swore as the creature began to sweep it’s head back and forth while using it’s secondary roar before reaching back and grabbing a titan sized handful of cliff with it’s good arm as the half drow scrambled to the left shoulder once more.

(S) “Uhm… Miss Lina…?” Sylphiel began worriedly as the behemoth set it’s sightless stare in the group’s direction while Katibree gestured at it’s throat franticly. “I think Miss Katibree is trying to tell us something…”

(L) “I guess we could try another shot from this position…” Lina mused completely lost in thought while licking a finger and holding it up to the wind once more.

The Sea Titan used it’s secondary roar one last time in their direction before lobbing the huge chunk of rock at them and reaching for another.

(S) “Aaaaaaaaaaaaagggghhhh!”

(G) “Lina, incoming, INCOMING…!!” The swordsman savant exclaimed while pointing.

“What - - Hawh!” “Move, move, move, move, move…!” The sorceress exclaimed while grabbing Sylphiel by the arm and taking off in a sprint along side Gourry as the chunk of cliff crashed down where they just were, obliterating the device.

(G) “I thought Katibree blinded it!” The blonde swordsman shouted as the 3 or them ran.

(L) “She did, I watched her do it!” The sorcery genius shouted back.

(S) “Here comes another one!” The raven haired girl gasped.

(G) “Then how the heck is it seeing us to do this??” The swordsman savant exclaimed.

(L) “Make a right, a right, a right!” Lina exclaimed as the trio made a hard right to avoid the next projectile that came crashing down. “I don’t know, I guess it has another sense it can see us with!”

(S) “I think… Miss Katibree… was pointing at it’s neck…” Sylphiel said in between gasps.

(L) “It’s neck…?” The redhead asked as the group narrowly avoided yet another projectile, shielding their eyes from the flying debris as they ran. “Maybe she means that noise it’s making that only she can hear!” She finally exclaimed. “Alright Gourry, take Sylphiel… we need to split up!”

“Right!” The blonde warrior exclaimed.

“Head for another spike cannon if it stops throwing miniature mountains at you!” The sorceress added before the group broke off in different directions.

“Gotcha Miss Lina!” Sylphile affirmed.

Back at the titan, Katibree held on for dear life as the Sea Titan hurled one piece of cliff after another at the group, alternating between Gourry, Sylphiel and Lina. We’re never going to take this thing down at this rate! Even if I had the chance to concentrate enough to call my weapons back to me…I seriously doubt I could make my way through that beard to get at it’s throat, each hair is nearly as think as my arm…

And even if I could, I seriously doubt I could cut all the way through the muscle and gristle and then all the way through it’s trachea. Need to find a way to get it’s attention back on me somehow though…She thought while making her way around to the side of it’s neck carefully. Alright, well…I know I can charge weapons up but I’ve never tried to charge anything else…Let’s see what this does… The half elf thought to herself while pouring her power directly into the behemoth’s neck over where she figured the jugular would be.

The area that her hands were touching began to glow crimson and slowly spread along the creature’s neck, but it didn’t seem to notice. It’s not fading at least… is there a way to ignite it?” She wondered after observing it a long moment. If what I’m understanding is correct, I get my abilities from the magic I’m around… which makes them innately magical themselves.

And Lina says that almost all magic is linked to emotion in one form or another, and attack spells are based on malice or the intent to kill so…

The mostly platinum haired warrior trailed off mentally while backing up and balancing on the bum shoulder of the titan while holding out a hand and focusing on the large glowing spot on the creature’s neck. …IGNIGHT! She thought at the area forcefully before dropping her arm dejectedly after nothing happened. Well that was a waste of - -

“Oh.”

She deadpanned as the glowing skin began to blister and boil and the titan bellowed and reached for it’s neck while she dived from the shoulder and caught hold of the hair on it’s upper back.

Seconds later the side of the behemoth’s neck virtually exploded, showering purple gore onto it’s shoulder and raining it down it’s back, showering a certain half elf with it.

(L) I’m not sure what Kat did over there, but she sure got it’s attention again! Lina thought while changing directions and booking it for the nearest spike cannon. Gotta end this quick!

Once the redhead made it to the stone device, she hurriedly rotated the base of it with a grunt until it was lined up with her target properly and ran around to the back of it, lining her palms up with the opening of the hollowed out spike. “Sorry big guy… Bom Di Wind!”

This time the spike sped through the air and struck true, causing the Sea Titan to gurgle piteously and grasp at it’s throat before dropping to it’s knees, shaking the ground around it and nearly dislodging the ex-assassin making her careful way down from it.

Seeing that the last shot had the desired affect, Lina scanned the area for Gourry and Sylphiel and Ray Winged over after spotting them by another loaded spike cannon.

(G) “Mission accomplished I guess.” Gourry said somewhat gloomily as the redhead touched down by them.

“Not quite.” The sorcery genius said while rotating the last cannon and aiming it at the behemoth’s heart once more. “At this rate it’ll slowly suffocate, and who knows how long it’ll take something with that amount of constitution to do.” “This is technically your fight Sylphiel, I’ll leave the final shot to you… I’m gonna go check on Katibree.”

“Up… to me?” The raven haired girl asked while giving the dying titan a pained glance as the redhead lifted off once more.

The swordsman savant gave her a sad little nod at this.

After making her way down from the ailing Sea Titan and putting some distance between herself and it, Katibree stopped and took the time to call her blades back to her, flicking and scraping the sticky and varied fluids off of them with a small grimace until Lina landed in front of her a few moments later.

(L) “Hey.” The redhead said with a small wave as she approached.

“Hey yourself.” The ex-assassin replied nonchalantly while sheathing her weapons, although her discomfort was glaringly apparent to the younger girl.

“Cut the macho act and comemere…” The sorceress said with a roll of her ruby colored eyes while reaching up and removing the larger girl’s earplugs carefully and watching in dismay as a thin trickle of blood dribbled out of one of them. “Can you hear at all?” She asked quietly.

“It fades in and out.”

“I should be able to alleviate the pain and bring back some of your hearing then, but you’ll have to have Sylphiel completely restore it.” Lina said while cupping a hand over each ear gently. “Don’t move… Healing power flowing white…” She began to chant.

“What about you, Red?” The half elf asked while closing her eyes as the healing spell took affect. “How are you feeling…?”

“Honestly, I’m down right exhausted.” Lina replied while finishing the spell with a sigh. “Sculpting that amount of stone in so much detail is pretty taxing.”

“I’ll bet…” The mostly platinum haired warrior said as both of them began to walk in Sylphiel and Gourry’s direction.

After walking in silence a while, the half drow spoke once more. “So what’s going on with the titan?” She couldn’t help but ask. “If we leave it the way it is, it could suffer for days before it finally dies.”

The redhead glanced over at her with a knowing but affectionate smile at this.

“What…?” The larger girl asked while averting her eyes and blushing slightly. “It’s…unprofessional to leave a job unfinished.”

“I left it up to Sylphiel to do.” The sorceress finally answered quietly.

“Nels Rada…?” The half elf balked. “Do you think she even - -“

Just then the last spike when whizzing past and struck home, the behemoth’s body going ridged before pitching forward and causing the ground to tremble once more upon impact.

“Apparently she does…” / “I guess so.” Both Lina and Katibree said simultaneously while looking back at the Sea Titan before beginning to walk once more.

Suddenly The ex-assassin’s eyes widened in alarm and she shot an arm out to stop and push back the startled redhead while snapping her own head to the side as a familiar looking metallic shard hurtled past them, severing a few strands of platinum hair and grazing the half elf’s cheek before embedding itself in the ground a little in front of and off to the right of the smaller girl.

(?) “I was really hoping to get both of you in one shot and be done with it after the titan failed to kill you off, but I guess it just can’t be helped.” A obviously Mazoku voice said before sliding the rest of the way out of the astral plane.

(K) “Gabriev killed Zifolis, who are you… a disgruntled cousin or brother?” The half elf asked sarcastically.

(Zi) “I suppose you could…”

(Zi2) “…Look at it that way.” Another Zifolis finished for the first as it appeared beside him.

(L) Has Soshurn found out how to clone Monsters?? The sorceress thought to herself in growing horror.

(?) “And don’t forget about me, Lina Inverse... I’m sure you remember your cheap shot on me from a week or so ago.” A third monster said as she made her way out of the astral plane as well.

“It’s the Monster I hit with that aerial Dragon Slave the other night…” Lina said while she pressing her back to Katibree’s to avoid being flanked as the trio of Mazoku began to circle them while laughing mockingly.

Meanwhile several meters away, Sylphiel had finally managed to get her crying under control and began the task of treating Gourry’s wounds when he snatched her up without warning and dodged out of the way of green energy blast.

(G) “Who’s there!?” The blonde warrior demanded.

(R) “Well if it isn’t the priestess bitch and the idiot swordsman!” Rahtarimu said gleefully while appearing before them. “We really have to stop meeting like this or people might get the wrong impression, white mage!”

“It can’t be, I watched Miss Katibree slay you…” The raven haired girl said as the swordsman savant put her down and drew his sword grimly.

(K) “I have a feeling that the shit has officially hit the fan, lover…” Katibree whispered to the sorcery genius while drawing and charging her weapons.

(L) “That may actually be the understatement of the century, babe…” Lina whispered back while taking a casting stance, a bead of sweat rolling down the side of her face. This is not good, not good at all

Chapter 53

(Fi) “What’s this, you’re standing back to back to try and avoid being flanked…?” Filzinia sneered while charging a globe of black energy. “How futile…!” She laughed as she hurled it at the girls, forcing them to separate in order to avoid the blast as the two Zifolis copies stood by waiting for an opening with their forearm blades extended.

(K) “It only makes sense to watch our backs around you Mazoku…” Katibree replied after landing with a flip several feet away from the explosion and counter attacking with a blade throw as Lina came out of her combat roll on the Monster’s adjacent side and fired off an Elmekia Lance simultaneously, which the demon phased to avoid with a hiss.

(L) “Yeah, it’s not like we call you ass-tral pirates for nothing!” Lina added before drawing her short sword and spinning around to block a slicing warp attack from a Zifolis. “You guys are all about ‘backdoor’ tactics after all…” She added while locking blades with him as Katibree deflected a metallic shard back at the other Zifolis and dodged a hail of energy bolts from Filzinia before rolling back towards Lina and her current opponent.

(Zi2) “A comedian until the end…” The demon that the redhead was blade locked with snarled as the ex-assassin skid behind him, lining herself up for an attack just as the Mazoku was warned by Filzinia and teleported away at the last second, reappearing above the two girls and shooting a volley of spikes down at them afterwards.

(L) “Bom Di Wind!” Lina shouted while extending a hand to direct a torrent of wind up at the shards, blasting them back at the second Zifolis, who crossed his arms to block the redirected barrage while the first metallic looking creature phased in next to the girl’s with a series of fierce melee arm blade attacks that Katibree parried and countered until she finally forced the creature back.

(L) “Wasn’t there a third individual Monster…?” The redhead whispered as the demons relinquished their attacks and began to circle them once more while regrouping.

I believe Sylphiel said that ‘Rahtarimu’ was his name.” The half drow replied while switching her weapons to opposing hands as the two pressed their backs against one another once again, this time more for the sake of the gesture than for actual battle tactics. “He’s most likely after Gourry and Sylphiel right now.”

You’re probably right on the money there.” The sorceress agreed grimly as she reached back at the older girl’s prompt and exchanged her uncharged short sword for a charged slicer of Katibree’s. I just hope they can hold their own until we can get to them…

On the other side of the canyon, the swordsman savant and shrine maiden were trying their best to do just that.

(Ra) “I thought we were really getting to know each other the other night, but you don’t seem very pleased to see me…” Rahtarimu said to Sylphiel while landing in front of the two of them and charging what looked like a claw full of green energy arrows.

(S) “…I could never be happy to see a being that thrives on the misery of others…!” The raven haired girl replied with borderline disgust while taking another casting stance behind the blonde swordsman. “Everlasting flame of blue…” She began to chant in a whisper.

“Is that so…?” “That almost hurts my feelings whore of Cepheid!” The wispy looking demon laughed while flinging the green bolts of energy at the duo with glee.

(G) “You should know better than to talk that way to a lady!” Gourry retorted while deflecting the arrows back at the creature with a flurry of parries.

(S) “…Be called forth here from the infinite…!” The Sylphiel continued. “Ra T- -!”

(?) “Not this time, white witch!” A second Rahtarimu said while suddenly warping in behind her as the swordsman savant spun around, thrusting his sword just over and behind the shrine maiden’s shoulder to block the creature’s cowardly attack with a grunt, unavoidably severing a lock of her raven colored hair in the process.

(S) “Oh…!” The startled shrine maiden gasped as the sword whizzed by her head before looking over her other shoulder in alarm. “How… could there possibly be 2 of them??”

(G) I don’t understand how there are two of the same guy now, but I do know that fighting both of them at once is basically suicideThe blonde warrior thought to himself grimly while struggling to hold his blade steady against the second demon’s strength or risk cutting Sylphiel because of it’s closeness to her. “Sylphiel, we need to get away from these guys and at least try and get one of them alone…” He whispered while glaring at the Mazoku grinning back at him over the shrine maiden’s shoulder while using his warrior instincts to try and gage the intent of the creature behind him if it should decide to attack. “Do you have anything we can use…?” He added before finally managing to shove the creature back a growl.

Miss Amelia did teach me a few spells…Sylphiel thought to herself before taking a deep breath and beginning to cast. “Dark… Mist…!” She exclaimed, triggering a magical thick black fog to roll in and surround then before she felt the swordsman savant’s hand on her arm, beginning to lead her in the direction of cover as he ran, prompting her to duck as well while trying to avoid attention, doing his best to decipher the terrain below the mist.

(Ra 1) “What’s this…?” The first Rahtarimu asked while watching the dense fog come in with a bemused expression on his face.

(Ra2) “That’s just fine actually… I’ve always loved a good game of cat and mouse!” The second demon finally laughed.

(G) At this rate, we’re probably going to have to try and hold out until Lina and Katibree get here to help us… The blonde warrior deducted dismally while leading the raven haired girl in the general direction that he thought he’d seen some suitable looking cover in earlier. But something tells me that they’ve got their own problems to worry about right now…

True to Gourry’s hunch, several miles away from the original location of the battle, the two girls were pinned down and surrounded by the monsters once more.

(F) “What’s the matter you two, all out of witty commentary?” The red demoness jeered while circling with the Zifolis’ once more in malevolence. “Or have you just finally resigned yourselves to your fate?” She added as the Zifolis copies both extended their arms and sent another barrage of metallic shards flying at the girls.

The duo dodged the hail of spikes, but were forced to continue to run as the twin trails of projectiles followed them, giving off miniature explosions as each shard hit the ground behind them.

(K) “Now the spikes explode, huh?”The ex-assassin said while finally charging the short sword as she ran along side the sorceress. “I guess it’s time to try out some new tricks of my own then.”

(L) Lina glanced at the half elf and gave her an affirmative nod before finally replying to Filzinia’s snide comment with one of her own. “Oh I’m sorry, were we boring you?” She taunted before bolting off to the left and rolling as the rain of metallic spikes continued past her and then slid to a stop while firing off an Elmekia Flame that caught the Zifolis’ attacking her off guard, hitting him squarely in the chest not killing, but stunning him. “Kat!” She indicated.

“Here goes…!” Katibree said while leaping off to the left to elude her own shard barrage and crossing Murakami and Lina’s short sword in front of her as she sailed through the air. “Hah!” The half elf exclaimed while swinging the weapons and shooting an X shaped crimson blast of energy from them at the still stunned Zifolis, incinerating him instantly.

The remaining Zifolis as well as Filzinia stopped and balked at this. “Impossible…!” They exclaimed simultaneously.

(L) “What was that?” The redhead asked as the older girl landed nearby.

“I’m not sure really, I just kind of… did it…” The mostly platinum haired warrior replied somewhat sheepishly.

The sorcery genius couldn’t help but sweat-drop at this. She channeled and released that amount of energy without knowing what kind of effect it would have...? “Well, at least it worked, and that makes this fight two on two!”

(Z) “Wouldn’t you love that to be the case…?” Zifolis sneered as a replacement Zifolis phased in behind the girls and spat a massive sphere of unholy magic at them that he’d been charging in concealment within the astral plane.

Incoming!” Katibree exclaimed, shoving Lina off to the side before diving out of the way herself just before the attack impacted with the ground and exploded between them, partially catching them in the blast and sending them both violently hurtling in opposite directions.

The sorceress hit the ground in an uncontrolled tumble, accumulating a multitude of scratches and scrapes before racking her ribs on a jagged rock protruding from the ground and finally rolling to a stop. “Argh… I can’t believe how powerful these copies are, that blast nearly sent me clear across the canyon…!” She said to herself while scanning the area to regain her bearings. And now I’m separated from Kat too… How many more clones could there possibly beShe continued to herself mentally while picking herself up off of the ground, holding her now bleeding side with a wince. I can’t get off a Dragon Slave in this type of combat safely, and the reserves I have left would be completely drained after just one Ragna Blade…

(F) “Peek-a-boo.” Filzinia cooed venomously while phasing up out of the ground. “It appears your offense is lacking today, Lina Inverse.”

“All you had to do was ask if you really wanted to take another Dragon Slave up the chute so badly Filzinia…” Lina pushed her pain and growing fatigue to the back of her mind to reply with a smirk while squaring of with the Mazoku, hefting the still charged slicer in her grasp. “I mean, it’s kind of creepy considering it’s your Dad’s spell and all but - -“

“T-that’s not what I meant!” The demoness blurted angrily. “Enough talk, it’s the end of the line Lina Inverse!” She added while transforming a clawed hand into an energy whip with tentacles in place of fingers.

Elsewhere, having taken the worst of the blast, Katibree stood shakily from her own crash landing before snatching off her ruined cloak that was still partially on fire and tossing it to the side with a growl before scanning the area for opponents. This is no good… they’ve got us completely on the ropes… It was bad enough getting ambushed while already being separated from Gabriev and Nels Rada, but now the monsters have managed to isolate Lina and I from one another as well…She thought while glancing down at the redhead’s short sword that she was still holding before the sound of a series of explosions from the other side of the canyon caught her attention. Well from the sound of that, I’d say that Sylphiel and Gourry are still alive and kicking at least...

Just then, a Zifolis warped in front of her for an attack which the ex-assassin easily parried and riposted, nicking his shoulder with her counter and causing him to teleport away with a snarl.

(K) “Do you really think you’re dealing with an amateur here?” She asked while automatically spinning to block the attack from the second Zifolis that she knew would be coming with a grin. “That’s one of the oldest tricks in the book.” I may not be able to hear you coming out of the astral plane anymore, but my reflexes and instincts are still as sharp as ever

(Zi) “Very impressive mortal, but how long do you actually think you can keep this pace up!?” A Zifolis said while phasing in for a bladed sweep attack that the half drow jumped to avoid before barely deflecting a downward slice from the second copy that appeared above her.

“Thanks for the concern, but I can dance all day if it means getting a chance to shut you up.” The half drow replied as the Zifolis copies began to phase in and out around her while feinting attacks in an attempt to disorient her. Smoke and mirrors, cloak and daggers…The mostly platinum haired warrior added to herself mentally, using the familiar words to steady and focus herself on the task of countering the attacks that the Mazoku clones had begun to mix in with their feints.

Meanwhile over half a mile away, Lina dodged one energy whip attack after another before one of the writhing tentacles finally caught her, wrapping itself around and searing into her wrist. “Uhn!” She gasped while straining against the whip as Filzinia began to reel her in with an evil sounding little giggle. This monster’s toying with me right now, but if she hears me trying to cast the Dragon Slave at all, she’ll get serious in a hurry…I can try a silent launch but…those are only supposed to be reserved for lower level spells like Flare Arrows or Fireballs…

“Welcome to my pallor said the spider to the fly!” The red demoness taunted.

“Can’t you come up with something more original than quoting children’s literature…?” The redhead spouted back while digging her feet into the ground as she was gradually dragged forward. A silent launch is harder to control because of the fact that the only chaos words verbally spoken to properly stabilize the composition of the spell at all is the trigger word…

(Fi) “Let’s see if you’re such a comedian once you’re missing a tongue!” Filzinia snarled in response before succeeding in yanking the sorceress a bit further forward before she managed to regain her footing.

(L) “That one had more originality at least, you’d think that with centuries to sit and think of this stuff, you monsters would have better material!” The redhead shot back. Even if I didn’t misfire a silent launched Dragon Slave all together and kill myself instantly…as fatigued as I am, there’s no way to guarantee that I’d have enough control to run the beam through her instead of it detonating on impact and the resulting blast incinerating me anyway… She continued to herself, her mind working at a frenzied pace.

Just then Rahtarimu appeared next to Filzinia. “Now isn’t this desperation tasty…?” He said while licking his chops.

(L) Gods, things just keep going from bad to worse…! The sorceress thought to herself bleakly. At any rate, as risky as trying a silent launch Dragon Slave is, I definitely have more faith in my spell casting ability than I do in a monster’s capacity for mercy…

At least with the distance between us, even if something goes wrong…Kat should be able to get out of way of the blast, and Gourry and Sylphiel won’t be anywhere near it.

(Fi) “Rahtarimu, what are you doing here?” Filipina looked over to ask in annoyance. “Didn’t you ask to deal with the other sorceress personally..?”

(L) If anything goes wrong…I apologize in advance guys, but if I’m going out, I’m going out with a bangThe redhead said mentally while gazing at Chiba a moment more before closing her eyes with a deep sigh, having made her decision to tempt fate just one more time.

(Ra) “Relax, I’ve got one of me on the job… her and the idiot swordsman will get pinned down eventually.” Rahtarimu replied disinterestedly. “All they’re doing is running and hiding and it’s boring, so I figured at least one of me should have some fun with the big game.”

Gotta get this just right! Lina thought to herself while taking advantage of the distraction and cutting the whip around her wrist with Chiba before tumbling backwards with a grunt as the tension on the whip gave. Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows…

(Fi) “Argh…Rahtarimu you idiot!” The red demoness exclaimed in pain before lashing out with another whip, dislodging the blade from the sorceress’s hand before flinging it from her reach with another tentacle.

“Quit yer bitchin’ I’ve got her!” The wispy looking Mazoku said while flying toward the still grounded Lina Inverse while brandishing his claws.

(L) The sorceress reached back and drew Twinkle as the demon closed in, chucking the weapon at the monster in an attempt to buy at least a few more seconds while keeping a death grip on her concentration. Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows…

The scimitar punctured the wispy creature’s stomach and he stopped in mid attack, looking down at the blade with an amused expression on his face. “…And just what were you expecting that to do…?” He finally asked with a laugh while patting the hilt of the weapon still embedded in him. “This one isn’t even glowing red…”

(L) I pledge myself to conquer, all the foes who stand, before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy handLina continued to chant silently while slowly standing and locking eyes with the demon.

(Fi) “If you’re going to kill her, then kill her Rahtarimu.” Filzinia said shortly. “Zifolis and your bumbling clone should be finishing up soon.”

“Yeah whatever, just let me have a little more fun.” Rahtarimu replied while closing in on the sorceress, but before he was in arm’s reach… his confidence began to waver as he caught a flash of something unsettling in the redhead’s unwavering ruby colored gaze. What was that look just now…? “No last words, oh she of the legendarily small breasts…?” He attempted to goad while fighting off a creeping nervousness.

(L) Let the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I possess…!

The sorcery genius finished mentally while jutting both palms out mere inches from the demon’s face, her pupils dilating as a rush of adrenaline coursed through her before constricting as she went to fire, but before she had a chance to utter the trigger words, Rahtarimu doubled over in pain clutching his stomach, the hilt of Twinkle protruding there beginning to glow a brilliant electric blue.

(Ra) “Wha - - what the hell did you just do to me?!” The wispy monster wheezed before beginning to scream in agony as the inky color of his skin began to fade around the entry point of the blade and radiate outwards toward the rest of his body.

(L) Twinkle is reacting with his body somehow…? If that’s the case it looks like there’s been a change of plans! Lina thought to herself, watching the spectacle in awe a second before taking a deep shaky breath while holding a hand out slightly in front of her palm up. There something I’ve meaning to try anyway. “Chiba, return to me.” She called quietly underneath the cover of Rahtarimu, who was still writhing in pain and howling above her.

Sure enough, the blade that had been disarmed from the redhead earlier, returned to her hand following a soft golden glow. I thought that might work considering the blades are bound to my essence, but it looks like Kat’s charge is finally starting to fade on it, better make this quick…!

(Fi) “What in the name of Ruby Eye is wrong, Rahtarimu - -“ The red demoness began before faltering as her Mazoku companion was cut in two by a flash of crimson revealing the sorcery genius beneath, the still glowing scimitar that had been buried in his stomach beginning to fall before it was caught by Lina as his body dispersed into black smoke with one last echoing scream.

“What did… how did you get that back??” Filzinia balked.

“That’s for me to know, and you not to find out!” The sorcery genius said while taking a combat stance with a smirk.

“W-why won’t you just… DIE!?” The red demoness exclaimed before throwing back her head with a roar as a vortex of unholy purplish black energy swirled around her and she began to grow in size, sprouting four new arms and charging a rapidly growing energy ball in each. “Let’s see you survive me blowing this entire place to hell!”

“…You have got to be fricking….. Kidding me!” Lina exclaimed while throwing up an arm as she was forced back by the sudden whirlwind of energy. How can she build up that much energy that quickly?? I don’t even have time to try a counter spell…!

Suddenly, there was a flash of brilliant light as a massive vertical pillar of searing white energy shot down and engulfed the Mazoku from above, leaving nothing but a circular scorch mark where she’d been.

“Who the hell was that…?” The redhead asked while looking up for the owner of the attack.

(?) “It seems you’re neck deep in trouble as usual, Lina Inverse.” A tall, not quite human looking figure with white and magenta armor said while floating down to eye level.

Sirius, great timing!!” Lina exclaimed before the sound of a sizeable explosion several yards away drew her attention. That’s gotta mean that Kat’s still taking those two on…! “Listen, I’ll talk with ya later Sirius, but do me a favor and help out Gourry and Sylphiel Ok?” She asked while indicating the direction they were in.

“I recall Gourry Gabriev, but I do not know of this Syl - -“

“Just get Gourry The Sword of Light and give em a hand will ya!?” The sorcery genius reiterated before taking off in the direction of the last explosion in a dead sprint.

(Sir) She’s just as uncanny as ever. The Overworlder thought while calling the bladeless hilt forth from a small dimensional pocket. “Gorunova, seek the one known as Gourry Gabriev, your rightful Master.” With this the sword hilt faded from view and Sirius teleported in the direction that Lina had indicated in search of the blonde swordsman himself.

(G) “Just try and hold out a little longer Sylphiel!” Gourry encouraged while propping himself up with his sword and breathing heavily with blood streaming down the side of his face as the two of them crouched behind a wavering Ballus Wall with Rahtarimu on the other side assaulting it with a energy beam and laughing as gleefully as ever.

The shrine maiden winced as she forced herself to fight through the fatigue and stay focused, the color beginning to drain from her hair as she neared the end of her magic reserves. “I’ll do my best, Gourry dear…!” She managed through gritted teeth.

(Ra) “Isn’t this fun shrine maiden??” The Mazoku called. “I can do this all day, how about you?!”

(G) I know she can’t and he knows it too! The swordsman savant thought to himself angrily. But, what can I do…? At the beginning I could distract him and get him to attack me, but now he’s only paying attention to Sylphiel, and all of our cover has been destroyed so we can’t even hide anymore to try and catch our breath…How am I supposed to fight him if my sword has no affect on him?! He continued to himself while punching the ground in frustration.

Sylphiel looked over at the blonde warrior with a weak but genuine smile on her face at this uncharacteristic display. “Don’t worry Gourry dear, I’m sure everything will turn out just fine!” She said before furrowing her brow in renewed determination and drawing on reserves she didn’t know she had to reinforce the barrier spell once more.

“Sylphiel…” The blonde warrior said before trailing off as he suddenly noticed the color of her hair fading from black to white before his very eyes. That’s the same thing that happened to Lina when she used up all her magic during the first big battle that she, me, and Zel had together…

I remember, she pushed herself so hard that she didn’t even have the strength to stand afterwards…

And here I am wasting energy on being negative while Sylphiel’s giving it all she’s got just to try and keep us alive “You’re right Sylphiel!” He finally agreed with her, and even before those words had completely formed on his lips, a small dimentional pocket opened in front of him revealing Gorunova.

“M-my sword…!” Gourry gasped while reaching out and gripping the hilt in wonder. “But where did you come from…?” He asked in reverence as the legendary sword glimmered in his grasp.

In the middle of his musing, a strained but quiet gasp from the raven haired girl as she continued to hold the barrier with all she had snapped him back to reality. I really don’t understand any of this, but I know what I have to do. The swordsman savant thought to himself before standing up and stepping in front of an exhausted Sylphiel. “You can go ahead and rest now Sylphiel, I’m sorry you had to push yourself so hard.” He said while aiming the bladeless hilt at the point that the beam was impacting with the barrier spell with a smirk. Thank you for coming back to me.

Light come forth!” He said triumphantly, the blade of light surging forth as brightly as he’d ever remembered it as if in greeting of it’s rightful Master.

(S) “The Sword of Light…?” The shrine maiden asked as her vision began to blur and the barrier began to collapse. Thank the Gods, but… how…? She wondered as she lost consciousness, falling to the ground in a faint.

(Ra) What does that moron think he’s doing…this is just too rich! The demon thought as he watched the blonde warrior step up to the failing barrier directly in front of the energy beam’s point of impact with it. “Say goodbye idiot swordsman!” The demon taunted as the Ballus Wall collapsed and the surge of unholy energy went rushing forth unhindered.

“If you insist.” The swordsman savant replied as the beam clashed with Gorunova and was absorbed into the sword as the mazoku’s eyes widened.

“Where the hell did he get that??” The wispy creature exclaimed in dismay.

Good…..bye!” The blonde warrior shouted while expelling the beam back at the demon with a mighty swing, slaying the demon with his own attack spell.

Is it over…? He thought to himself while glancing around warily for a long moment as the dust cleared before looking back at the still unconscious not so raven haired anymore girl and deenergizing his sword of light as he plopped down next to her with a weary sigh. I wonder if Lina and Katibree are Ok…? I think I heard some explosions before, but I’m not sure…

(Sir) “I see Gorunova has made it’s way to it’s proper owner after all, Gourry Gabriev.” Sirius said while touching down in front of the two of them a few minutes later.

Hey, you’re the guy in charge of taking care of the weapons of light right?” Gourry asked while looking up from his seat on the ground.

Sirius nodded affirmatively at this. “Lina Inverse sent for my assistance quite some time ago, however I was only just recently able to free myself of my duties in my world to travel to this world and deliver the Sword of Light as requested.”

“Lina sent you?” The swordsman savant asked while standing with some effort before clasping both swords to his belt. “Can you take me to where she is?” He asked while kneeling and picking the still unconscious shrine maiden up in his arms.

“I recall the general direction that she headed in after she asked me to aide you; it should not be to hard to find her.” The Overworlder replied while gazing off across the canyon.

Several miles from where either skirmish had started, yet another blast of magic shook the surrounding area; the aftershock sending Katibree hurtling through the air once more.

“Oof…!” The ex-assassin grunted while attempting to twist her body in mid air to right herself in order to rebound off of something.

(Zi 1) “We’ve got your number now half breed!” A Zifolis said while teleporting behind her as she sailed through the air, slashing her diagonally across the back with a forearm blade and following the attack up with an elbow smash that sent her crashing to the ground.

Uargh!” The half drow exclaimed while crashing into the ground. Still reeling from the impact, the half drow lifted herself up from the ground slightly while coughing up blood, her fatigued arms straining with the effort. Come on, suck it up… you’ve trained harder than this! She exclaimed mentally while willing her body to respond as she saw a growing shadow on the ground beneath her; finally, her aching muscles heeded her and she was just barely able to roll out of the way in time as a Zifolis came down in a double armed stab where she’d just been.

As the mostly platinum haired warrior rolled, the second Zifolis warped above her and attacked, forcing her to bring up both the short sword and slicer to block the assault which brought her rolling momentum to a dead stop as the two sets of blades locked and ground together, the crimson charge in her weapons beginning to falter along with the last of her strength.

The first Zifolis warped next to the second with a sharply toothed grin before kneeling and putting his own blade to the throat of the grounded half elf as she continued to blade struggle with the other. “Checkmate.” He said.

(Zi 2) “Do you have anything to say before we rip that pretty little head of yours from your body half elf…?” The Zifolis pinning her sneered.

“I’ve just got one question actually…” Katibree managed as her own blades where slowly being forced back toward her neck.

(Zi 1) “This should be good!” One copy said to the other with a smirk.

The ex-assassin couldn’t help but just smile as she caught a glimpse of a familiar figure sprinting up behind the Mazoku copies with the biggest fucking energy sword she’d ever seen in her life forming in her hands.

(L) Oh Gods please let me make it in time…! The sorcery genius though desperately while forcing herself to run all the harder as she completed the attack spell.

(Zi 2) “Alright, well let’s hear it then half breed… it’s not like you have all day.” The second Zifolis jeered while pushing down against the ex-assassin’s own blades hard enough to draw blood.

“Well I was just wondering…” The half elf began with a wince as the blades bit into her throat.

“When I tell you two to go fuck yourselves, does that count as gay sex…… or masturbation?” She finally asked, her smile breaking into an all out grin.

Ragnaaa BLADE!!” Lina cried from behind them, slashing through first one monster and then the other, slaying them in a single stroke before they’d even had a chance to completely turn their heads at the sound of her voice.

Katibree watched the monsters disintegrate in a plume of black wisps with a quiet laugh. “Lina Inverse to the rescue…my hero…” She teased weakly while looking up at the younger girl with a tired smile, removing the weapons from her abused throat and letting her arms drop to either side of her, the charge on either of the blades flickering on last time before fading altogether.

“That was allot closer than I’d ever care to cut it.” The redhead replied as she dispelled the huge black blade of crackling energy before dropping to her knees next to the larger girl while catching her breath. “Those two really put you through the wringer…” She added noticing the half elf’s unusual lack of bravado with growing concern. “Are you badly hurt?”

“I’ve had better days… but I’ll live, Red.” The mostly platinum haired warrior said while sitting up with some serious effort. “What about you?”

“Let’s just say, if anymore copies show up… we’re probably going to have to hand them a rain check.” The sorceress answered with a weary little sigh.

Katibree raised a mostly platinum colored eyebrow at this. “A rain check huh, I can see it now…” She began before pretending to write something down and doing her best secretary imitation in a silky voice.

“I apologize for the inconvenience Mazoku scum, ‘Inverse Ass Whoopings’ is no longer taking customers at this time; would you care to reschedule the appointment…?”

Lina giggled at this before drawing the half elf into her arms for what was supposed to be a quick hug, but after the older girl returned the embrace with one of her own, the sorcery genius couldn’t bring herself to pull away and instead found herself holding on all the tighter while squeezing her ruby colored eyes shut as an unexpected lump began to form in her throat.

“Kat, I… The sorceress attempted before trailing off with a difficult swallow. “I’m… I’m just glad you’re Ok... I’m sorry it took me so long to get here.” She finally finished while pulling away slightly to look at the half elf, trailing a hand down the side of her face with a slight blush.

The larger girl closed her lavender colored eyes and turned her face into the palm of the younger girl’s hand, allowing herself a moment to savor the touch that she’d just come so close to never feeling again before looking at the redhead once more with an uncharacteristically serious but gentle expression on her face.

“Red, I’d endure walking through the flames of hell itself without a complaint if that’s what it took to get to you on the other side… and you know it.” She finally replied quietly.

Tears welded up in Lina’s ruby colored eyes at this. “You wouldn’t have to…” She said while leaning in for a kiss. “…Because I’d meet you halfway.”

Just then, a large whirling globe of light appeared nearby with a blast of air, causing the two girls to jerk away from each other before looking up at it. The globe floated stationary a moment in mid air before finally touching down and dispersing to reveal Sirius, Gourry, and a groggy but now conscious Sylphiel as the two girls stood hurriedly.

(K) Great timing…Katibree thought to herself while rubbing her neck with an embarrassed little laugh.

(L) We know they’re Ok now at least... but now the question is… how much of that did Gourry and Sylphiel see just now…? The sorcery genius thought while wiping her eyes absently before giving the group a little wave. Well if Gourry noticed anything, he either doesn’t care, didn’t comprehend what he saw, or is an amazing actor.

(G) “Hey, it looks like you two pulled through alright!” Swordsman Savant called cheerfully as the group made their way toward the sorceress and ex-assassin duo.

(L) “Yeah, piece of cake…!” The redhead joked uneasily while holding up a victory sign while Sirius and Katibree merely observed each other wordlessly.

(S) If I didn’t know any better…Sylphiel mused to herself before trailing off. Well it’s not like I could see very well at all from inside the teleportation globe, and I am very tired… She continued to herself unsurely. I suppose Miss Lina could have been leaning forward to heal Miss Katibree…Wait what am I thinking, Miss Lina is in love with Gourry dear…She deducted a little sadly. I must have just been seeing things…but I almost wish I hadn’t - -

(L) “World calling Sylphiel…!” Lina said while waving her hand in front of the not so raven haired girl’s face with a grin, snapping her out of her thoughts.

(S) “Oh, I’m sorry Miss Lina, I was just… lost in thought.” The shrine maiden said before blushing vividly at what she’d just been ‘thinking’ about.

“No kidding!” The sorcery genius replied while studying the taller girl’s body language. Yup, she definitely saw something“Anyway, welcome to the threshold club Sylphiel!” She added while patting her on a gold-trimmed shoulder guard.

(S) “The threshold club..?” Sylphiel asked unsurely.

(L) “That’s right, once your magic reserves are at their limit, you’ve reached your threshold and if you push yourself pass that point… without passing out that is, you start to draw on your own essence to keep casting.” Lina explained while taking a lock of the shrine maiden’s silverish colored hair in her hand and showing to her. “And when you do that… this happens.” She finished while giving the color drained lock of hair a little wriggle to stress her point.

(Sir) “So you are the newest addition to Lina Inverse’s comrades?” The Overworlder asked Katibree.

“I’d say it’s pretty safe to put it that way, yes” The ex-assassin replied. So this is what an Overworlder looks like… “The name’s Katibree.”

“Katibree…” Sirius mused for a moment. “Are you a sibling of the one known as Zelgadis Greywords?” He finally asked.

The half drow closed her eyes with a stress mark at this. “No…. I am not related to Greywords in any way, and I’d really appreciate it if people would stop asking me that…” She finally replied quietly.

(G) “See, I’m not the only one who thought that after seeing her for the first time!” Gourry laughed while twirling the hilt of Gorunova around.

(K) “Don’t start, Gabriev.” Katibree shot at him with an added stress-mark, causing the blonde warrior to laugh all the harder as Lina walked up unable to keep from giggling at the little exchange herself.

(L) “Rumors of Kat actually being Zel’s long lost sister aside…” The sorcery genius began before stifling a laugh. “I was wondering if you could do us another little favor before you head back to your world again, Sirius.”

“What is it that you require, Lina Inverse?” The Overworlder turned to the sorceress to ask.

“Do you know where Seyruun is…?”

“I know the location of the Holy Kingdom, yes.” Sirius affirmed with a nod.

“Well, as you can see… we’re all in pretty bad shape here.” The redhead laughed with a sweat-drop. “Could ya give us a lift back to our campsite to get our stuff and then teleport us to Seyruun…?” She asked while placing both palms together in a gesture of pleading with a huge grin on her face.

The Overworlder considered this a moment while giving the weathered looking crew another once over. This should be within my capacity to do… “Which direction is this… ‘campsite’ in?” He finally asked.

(L) “Alriiiiight!” Lina cheered.

(G) “Yeah, no more walking!” Gourry agreed happily.

(S) “Oh, thank you very much Mr. Sirius…!” Sylphiel said.

(K) “Much obliged, Overworlder.” Katibree added quietly. “The campsite is just past that forest over there and overlooking a cliff.”

“I understand Katibree of no relation to Zelgadis Greywords.” Sirius replied with another affirmative nod.

The ex-assassin folded her arms and stress-marked at this statement as the rest of the group snickered quietly. “If you wanted my real full title… all you had to do was ask.” She said almost sullenly.

And with this, the gang was surrounded in another globe of white light and whisked away in the eventual direction of Seyruun.

Just as the group was whisked away, a familiar mysterious priest teleported in. “That was quite the battle…” Xellos mused to himself while looking in the direction of the campsite on the other side of the forest. It got so close at times that I was beginning to wonder if I’d be forced to blow my cover and step in… That would have been… most unfortunate and difficult to explain convincingly…I’m sure that Lina at least suspects that I’m following her, and as shrewd as she is, chances are she’s at least partially figured out what Beast Master’s interest in her girlfriend is…

This battle does answer a few things, but leaves me with even more questions… The Mazoku thought to himself while kneeling down and examining a scorch mark left by one of Katibree’s energy blasts. That sword that Lina was using was quite unusual… it looked to have a normal blade, yet was able to harm a Mazoku… could this be the item that Lord Beast Master was speaking of…? And if that’s the case, was Lina so hesitant to use it because she suspected I was watching the skirmish? The mysterious priest wondered to himself.

It’s also obvious at this point that Lina is still trying to keep the fact that she and Katibree are dating a secret…But I’ll have my fun with that one eventually. He continued to himself with an amused little cackle.

On another note completely, it seems as if Soshurn has turned to using forbidden practices in an attempt to gain more power…I wonder if Beast Master will deal with this matter personally or simply let him ruin himself fighting Lina which always inevitably happens…

“Huuuum…” The trickster priest finally said out loud. “I suppose I’d best go report my findings then.” He added before phasing out once more.

Chapter 54

(Sir) “Is this the place you required, Lina Inverse?” Sirius inquired after the group of adventurers ported in and settled down in the middle of a large, fairly populated road, much to the surprise of the town’s folk passing by.

“Uh… I think this is a couple of towns over from where we actually need to be, but this’ll do; thanks Sirius.” The redhead replied distractedly.

“Very well, then I shall take my leave.” The Overworlder said before teleporting away as a small crowd of curious bystanders began to gather around the disheveled group while murmuring amongst themselves.

(S) “Take care Mr. Sirius - - Oh, he didn’t even bother to say good bye…” Sylphiel said somewhat dejectedly.

(G) “Uuuuurgh…” Gourry suddenly groaned while pinching his nose shut. “Did this place smell like this the last time we were here Lina…?”

“I’m pretty sure it didn’t, Gourry.” Lina replied quietly as she took in the renovations still being made to this particular town nearly two weeks after the ‘mysterious’ mother of all tsunamis had made it’s way to the former inner barrier shores without warning. I can’t believe how extensive the damage is even this far away from the shore…And Zephilia’s even closer to the shore than Seyruun is…She thought to herself while watching a pair of well muscled men busting up a rotting wooden deck across the way.

(G) “Well, if it didn’t smell this way before… what’s making it smell this way now?” The swordsman savant asked.

(S) “It’s all the sea water from that tidal wave that hit a while ago, Gourry dear.” Sylphiel answered while surveying the damage herself. “It takes quite some time to recover from a natural disaster of that magnitude, and the smell is just one of the side effects of it.”

(K) “Wouldn’t it be better for us to discuss this while not standing in the middle of the road to be stared at like some sideshow attraction…?” Katibree finally said with some irritation after a child who had been staring at her, tugged on his mother’s dress and began to blatantly point. Perfect timing to go and get my cloak set on fire…

(L) “Yeah, let’s move.” The sorceress agreed in a tone so downtrodden that she drew glances of varying levels of concern from all three of her traveling companions. I know I would have gotten a communication if anything serious had happened at home, so I know Mom and Dad are Ok at least… but it’s just been eating at me lately no matter how hard I try to ignore it. There’s no way around it, I really screwed up this time…She continued to brood to herself as they made their way ever closer to the capital.

“Miss Lina, is… everything alright?” The shrine maiden couldn’t help but ask after several minutes of uncharacteristic silence from the sorcery genius.

The question being directed at her snapped Lina out of her thoughts. Oh right… no good letting group morale slip… She thought before turning to the taller girl and giving her a serious look. “Not really Sylphiel…” She finally answered.

“Oh, then what is bothering you Miss Lina…?” The not so raven haired anymore girl asked worriedly.

“Well it’s just that…” The redhead began before trailing off with a sigh.

“Yes…?” Sylphiel coxed gently.

“It’s just that…………………. I’m so hungry that I was worried I might not be able to hold out until we can get to Amelia’s place for free royal cuisine!” Lina finally said while rubbing the back of her neck with a laugh to face-faults all around.

(S) “Miss Lina… you never change…” The shrine maiden giggled while picking herself up off the ground with a sweat-drop.

(G) “And here she actually had me worried…” The blonde swordsman deadpanned while following suit.

(K) “Nice curveball there, Lina.” The half elf chuckled while dusting herself off.

“Thank you, thank you, I’ll be here all week!” The redhead said while showboating with a deep bow.

(G) “Yeah, yeah…” Gourry laughed. “But all joking aside, food really sounds like a great idea right now…!”

(L) “Can’t bring yourself to wait until we get to the castle eh Gourry?” Lina joked before sobering somewhat after catching a glimpse of a town guard scrutinizing Katibree and beginning to approach until he spotted the sorcery genius with her and deciding against it. That’s right; I nearly forgot…Someone of Kat’s ‘talents’ isn’t exactly going to be welcome here.

(G) “Well, I was doing alright until you mentioned food…” The swordsman savant answered somewhat sheepishly.

(S) “I’m actually really hungry as well...” Sylphiel piped up shyly.

(L) That’s only to be expected… I’m actually really impressed that she’s even on her feet right now… “I guess it can’t be helped then…” The redhead replied with a smile. “You two go ahead and grab something for the road real quick, but I’m saving all my space for royal cuisine!” She added while rubbing her tummy.

(G) “Alight, suit yourself Lina!” Gourry said cheerfully before jogging off in the direction of the market place with Sylphiel close behind him.

(S) “Oh, Miss Katibree… were you coming too…?” The shrine maiden stopped jogging after the swordsman savant to look back and call.

“No, I’m fine for now… but thanks for asking Sylphiel.” Katibree replied with a little wave.

(L) “Just meet us back here, Ok Sylphiel…?” Lina added with a grin.

“You betcha Miss Lina!” The taller girl affirmed before running off once more.

Just as the shrine maiden disappeared into the market place’s crowd of towns folk, a familiar grumbling sound caught the ex-assassin’s attention and she glanced over at the sorcery genius just in time to see the younger girl bend over while clutching her stomach and groaning miserably.

Katibree lifted a mostly platinum colored eyebrow in amusement at this. “Any particular reason you didn’t just go with them, Red…?” She asked wryly.

“Because I needed to talk to you in private of course.” The sorceress answered sharply as she stood upright once more before shooting the larger girl a don’t-play-dumb look.

The half elf sobered at this warning sign of the redhead’s growing moodiness and merely nodded wordlessly.

Ah……damn it…The sorcery genius swore to herself while smoothing her crimson colored mane after realizing she’d just snapped. “…Sorry about that Kat, I’ve just… had allot on my mind lately.” She added quietly.

“I don’t mind, you have to put up with my quirks too remember?” The ex-assassin replied with a wink.

“Yeah, that is true…” Lina said while scratching the back of her head with a little smile.

“So what’s up…?”

“Well… this is actually about one of your ‘quirks’ ironically enough.” The redhead began tentatively. “I mean, I understand that you were practically born and raised as an Ethereal Dagger, and that after the events that transpired with your Guild… you proudly wear your assassin’s gear in honor of their sacrifices...”

The half elf sighed in resignation at this unavoidable discussion before finally speaking. “I already know where you’re going with this Red; and I’m sorry, but I’m not going to take the coward’s way out here.” She began to explain while gazing up at the sky. “I may be a different person now, but I refuse to just blatantly deny who I was in the past or belittle the memories of the only family I’ve ever known.”

Your pride and the past you is exactly what’s likely to get you executed here…Lina thought to herself while tussling her hair in frustration. “Look Kat, I understand where you’re coming from, and it wasn’t so bad before when you had your cloak… but now it’s just glaringly obvious and I’ve already told you something about the history of this kingdom…” “Even if we went and bought you a new one, the guards here are trained to spot- -“

“Look, I’m not budging on this one Lina…” Katibree replied quietly but firmly, locking eyes with the sorceress once more. “It… it means too much to me…” She added more softly, the quiet sadness and chaotic swirl of other countless emotions she was struggling with showing deep within her lavender orbs.

I can’t stand it when she looks at me like that…The redhead complained to herself while averting her ruby colored eyes as she felt her argument begin to crumble before her very eyes. “I know it does… but…” She tried once more before trailing off and just giving the older girl a conflicted look that told the half elf more than words ever could.

Don’t do this to me Red… this is already hard enough as it is…The mostly platinum haired warrior thought to herself while averting her own eyes as she fought the urge to simply turn into a puddle of half elf right then and there. “Look if you’re really so worried about it, I can just do like I did in Zephilia and camp out- -“

Absolutely not.” The redhead interjected more forcefully than she had intended to. “I…I don’t want… it’s just too dangerous alright?” She finally managed.

After fighting off a stubborn surge of pride, Katibree agreed much to the younger girl’s relief. “…You’re right, that was definitely a bad idea… and staying at an Inn in town wouldn’t be much better I’d think…” She continued to muse.

The sorcery genius watched the larger girl troubleshoot their predicament in silence a short while before finally just giving in. “Kat… can we drop the aloof, platonic act a second here?”

The ex-assassin raised a mostly platinum colored eyebrow once more at this statement. “Didn’t we already nearly get caught doing that earlier back in that canyon?” She asked in amusement.

The redhead couldn’t help but giggle at this. “That’s not what I meant, so shut up already and just let me talk Ok?”.

“I’m listening…” The half elf replied while stifling a laugh.

“Alright….look…” The redhead began while rubbing the back of her neck flusteredly as she struggled to put how she was feeling into words. “With the holy barrier radiating from the center of this kingdom, chances are you’d be just fine at an Inn here… but, I…I want you… nearby… not at some place way across town...” She began while looking down at the ground as she felt her cheeks begin to heat up.

(L) “I mean, I know this is gonna sound stupid… because…well, because it’s not like we don’t still see each other everyday or anything but…” She tried to continue before trailing off and forcing herself to meet the older girl’s gaze with an even more pronounced blush. “But, it’s just not the same and… I...I miss you Kat…” “Just come with me to the castle and… I’ll figure out something alright?”

“I don’t think that sounded stupid at all, but that might just be because I feel the same way…” Katibree replied with a chuckle as her own cheeks began to redden at the sorceress’s unexpected display of vulnerability. “Seyruun Castle it is.”

“It looks like it’s settled then.” Lina said with a tired little smile. “And you still want to walk to the gates of Seyruun Castle just as you are…?” She reiterated one last time.

“Without a doubt.” The half drow affirmed with a nod.

You do know that putting yourself through this isn’t going to make things right or bring them back, don’t you babe?” The sorceress asked with a sad expression on her face.

I know, but I feel… this is the least I can do.” Katibree answered with a melancholy little smile.

Lina looked up at the sky, scratching the back of her head with a resigned sigh at this. “Alright, well you know you’ve got my full support then… but I still say this is crazy.”

“If that’s the case, with half the plans you normally come up with…you should feel right at home with the idea.” The ex-assassin teased and was immediately rewarded with a whack in the arm.

“…Anyway, all the town guards will probably recognize and not question me…” Lina continued after stifling a laugh. “So we most likely won’t have to worry at all until we’ve made it clear to the actual castle gates leading inside the palace.” “But once we’re inside…” The sorcery genius began while looking at the older girl, all humor gone from her face. “There’s a very good chance that I won’t be able to prevent you from being apprehended, and there’s no telling what could happen while I’m trying to find Phil or Amelia to order your release.”

“I understand.” The half drow replied with a small nod.

(G) “Understand what?” Gourry asked around a mouthful of hotdog as he came walking up along with Sylphiel, sporting a sizable cache of various other foods under the crook of one arm.

(L) “Oooooh…… just the fact that Kat here is likely to get arrested and possibly executed once we get to Seyruun’s capital is all.” The redhead turned to the swordsman savant and answered with a dismissive gesture.

“But why??” / “How terrible!” Both Gourry and Sylphiel blurted simultaneously.

(K) “Relax guys, it’s not that big of a deal.” The ex-assassin said with a disinterested shrug.

(S) “Since when did being arrested and possibly executed become ‘not that big of a deal?’” The shrine maiden balked.

(G) “Yeah, and why would they want to do that anyway?” The blonde warrior added in dismay.

(L) “Well, although Kat had nothing to do with it, it’s all because of an incident that happened involving Amelia’s mother several years ago.” The sorceress began to explain as she started to walk in the direction of the kingdom’s capital once more, prompting the group to follow suit.

(G) “Amelia has a mother?” Gourry asked in surprise before popping a whole pork bun into his mouth.

(L) “Amelia had a mother, but she was killed by an assassin that they later found out went by the name of Booley.” Lina replied as Sylphiel covered her mouth with a gasp.

The ex-assassin’s lavender colored eyes narrowed at this, but she remained silent and merely continued to listen.

(G) “Amft, sfo becomse ovf fthaft…” The swordsman began before swallowing his food and continuing once more. “…Seyruun is always on super high alert for assassins now, right Lina?” He finally asked.

“That’s right Gourry.” The redhead affirmed.

(S) “But, Miss Katibree… I thought you said that you had quit that business.” Sylphiel said in an inquiring tone.

“I have, but there’s no way for the guards protecting this city to know that.” The half elf answered back quietly.

(S) “Well if that’s the case, wouldn’t it be better to just change out of your - -“

(L) “Don’t even waste your breath Sylphiel.” The sorcery genius interjected with a sigh. “I already suggested that and she refused, so if she wants to walk to the palace gates just as she is… then…. I guess it can’t be helped.”

(S) “But I don’t understand… if any conflict could be avoided by Miss Katibree just…” The shrine maiden began before trailing off as Gourry placed his free hand on her shoulder-guard with a warm smile.

“The way I see it, when Katibree and I first met and she told me her full title… she introduced her Guild in place of her hometown.” The blonde warrior began before turning his head to look over at the mostly platinum haired warrior meaningfully. “And you did add the word ‘former’ to that title didn’t you Katibree?” He asked.

“That’s right Gabriev.” The ex-assassin replied.

“If that’s the case and she’s still wearing her gear, she didn’t quit… which basically still makes her a member…” The swordsman savant continued. “And that probably means that something bad happened to where she can’t go back.”

(S) “But I still don’t understand what any of that has to do with doing something as reckless as this when a simple change of clothes would probably solve the problem all together…” Sylphiel began to protest once more.

(L) “To put an end to this Sylphiel…” Lina began before trailing off to make sure she had the shrine maiden’s full attention. “Katibree taking the easy way out and switching clothes is basically the equivalent of you agreeing to dishonor the memory of your Father and pretend he never raised you, as well as deny you have any ties to Sairaag just because you may be persecuted for it.”

“I-I see…” The shrine maiden stammered. “Miss Katibree, I’m sorry… I didn’t realize…”

“It’s alright Nels Rada, it’s not like you knew.” The half drow reassured her with a little smirk.

(L) “Alright guys, it’s show time.” The sorcery genius said just before the disheveled party of four made their way to the gates of Seyruun palace. “Just let me do the talking and follow my lead.”

(K) “Wouldn’t have it any other way.” The ex-assassin said wryly.

(G) “You said it!” The swordsman savant agreed before promptly polishing off the last of his food.

As the group got to the massive gates being guarded by two sentries on either side who were dressed in Seyruun’s traditional cerulean and white armor, the guard on the left shifted uncomfortably but made no move to stop them, however the guard on the right of the entrance was more seasoned and barred the entrance of the gates with his spear while glaring directly at Katibree.

“State your occupation and business here.” The burly man ordered suspiciously.

(L) “Look buddy, everyone you see behind me, is with me.” The redhead began shortly. “Now as you can probably already tell, I’ve had a very… bad day and considering that I’m an honored guest here, that gives you two choices.” She continued while holding up her white gloved hand and extending her pointer finger to stress option number one.

“Choice number one is, you open up the gates and get the hell outta my way…” Lina continued while burning a hole into the guard with her ruby colored eyes and extending a second finger to stress option number two. “And the other choice you have… is me opening the gates myself by putting you through them… So which is it gonna be…?”

With this, the guard began to look somewhat blue in the face before hurriedly turning to the other guard and ordering him to help with the gates while sweat-dropping. “M-my apologies for the inconvenience Miss Lina Inverse…”

Lina merely strolled through the opening gates wordlessly with a careless flip of her hair and flair of her cape as the rest of the group followed close behind.

(G) “Man…if I didn’t know any better, I’d be convinced this castle was actually hers the way she just laid into that guy…” Gourry whispered to Katibree and Sylphiel.

(S) “Miss Lina has always been like that…” The shrine maiden agreed.

(K) “Power, an air of authority, and intimidation are some of the best qualities to have when it comes to getting what you want.” The ex-assassin said before falling silent once more as they all made their way up to the towering doors of Seyruun Castle.

As soon as the sorcery genius got to the doors, she immediately folded her arms and glared at first one sentry and then the other with an I-don’t-have-all-damn-day expression on her face before beginning to tap a foot impatiently, causing the guards to apologize while scrambling to open the doors after a short, extremely uncomfortable silence.

(K) “And those qualities are something that Lina’s got for miles…” Katibree continued after they were out of earshot of the guards at the entrance of the castle.

(S) “Miss Lina can be really scary when she wants to be…” Sylphiel agreed. “Sometimes I almost expect her to start breathing fire…”

(G) “Yeah, I’d have to say that she’s definitely puts any dragon I’ve ever met to shame as far as tempers go - -“

(L) “I can hear you guys back there ya know…” Lina finally interjected with a stress-mark as she briskly led them down the conventional but still elaborately decorated hallways in the Seyruun colors of blue and white, before heading outside once more and into a royal courtyard area, cutting across it to take a shortcut to the honorary guest area.

Just then, a female elite guard who’d been monitoring their progress across the courtyard until this point, motioned for them to halt before walking up to the group. “Miss Lina Inverse - -“ She began before being rudely interrupted by a certain fed up sorcery genius.

Look, I’m hungry, cranky, sore, tired, and I need totakeabath.” The redhead said irritably while placing her hands on her hips. “Now if I remember correctly, Princess Amelia passed down the order that ‘Lina Inverse’… who would be me… as well as any guests that I may have with me at the time be accommodated in anyway possible at all times.”

The elite guard’s eyes shifted over to the ex-assassin uneasily at this. “Yes… her highness did pass down that order, however - -“

Let me guess, you must have interpreted that order as meaning that Princess Amelia actually wanted you to harass, and inconvenience her honored guests instead.” Lina deadpanned while crossing her arms and glaring.

“……..I-I apologize for troubling you Miss Inverse.” The elite sentry finally stammered before beginning to step out of their path to allow access.

(?) “Disregard that and continue to detain them Lieutenant.” A tall, brash man in full ceremonial Seyruun plate called from behind the group.

“Y-yes sir.” The lieutenant acknowledged with a salute.

(L) Great, now what…? The sorceress thought as everyone turned to face the approaching man who walked right up to the ex-assassin and stared down at her with obvious contempt.

(L) “…Ok, and just who the hell are you?” The sorcery genius demanded.

“I am Captain Tavarius Shemlee…. the appointed security advisor for the detection, apprehension, and execution of would be assassins specifically, and this must be my lucky day.” The man replied, never taking his eyes off of Katibree. “And I must admit, for a woman… your ‘guest’ here certainly has quite the set of balls.”

The half elf merely returned his gaze expressionlessly. If you think I’ve got a big pair, just wait until you see the set my girlfriend’s packing Captain Douche…She thought to herself wryly.

(CT) “Nothing to say, assassin?” The Captain practically spat as he began to circle her slowly while studying her gear.

(L) “She doesn’t have to say anything, because she hasn’t done anything wrong.” Lina replied in a deceptively calm voice. “What part of Princess Amelia’s order did you not understand?”

“The part that allows scum like this to roam freely within the Seyruun Castle walls just because she’s in the company of an ‘honored’ guest.” Tavarius replied cynically as his gaze fell upon the tiny Ethereal Daggers emblems engraved on the hilts of the half drow’s slicers. “Restrain her and have her disarmed.” He added as he continued to scrutinize her gear.

“What makes you think that you have the authority to override a direct order from the princess herself - -“ The redhead began heatedly.

“The fact that the security regiment states that in the event of his Highness and Princess Amelia’s absence, the final say in immediate security issues default to me.” The Captain interrupted with a sneer as the Lieutenant moved forward to restrain Katibree as ordered. “I know, because I wrote it myself…” He continued while stopping to squint at the diagonally slashed area and then through the cut material on the half drow’s back. “Of course…. you and the rest of your party are cleared to go, Miss Lina Inverse.” He added disinterestedly while cocking his head to one side to get a better look at what had caught his attention.

(L) “I can handle this guys, go find Amelia and or Phil.” Lina said quietly while straining to keep her temper in check as the Lieutenant shackled the ex-assassin’s hands behind her back and removed her weapons.

(G) “But, Lina - -“

Now, Gourry.” The sorcery genius commanded before the shrine maiden could begin to protest as well.

“….Ok… but be careful, alright?” The swordsman savant said worriedly. “Come on Sylphiel.” He added before running off with the shrine maiden hot on his heels.

(CT) “Well, well, well… it looks like we have her rank right here.” Tavarius finally said before roughly grabbing hold of the torn material and ripping it open in a downward snatching motion to reveal the entire tattoo underneath, tearing skin and dried blood that had adhered to the leather from the half elf’s wound as well.

(K) Keep your cool, Red…Katibree thought with a wince as she saw pure murder flash in the redhead’s eyes. This is what he wants… the Princess would have his head if he goes through with this without having probable cause and he knows it.

(CT) “…A Master Assassin!” The Captain exclaimed in genuine amusement.

(L) “Ex-Master Assassin.” Lina corrected him with a very dangerous tone creeping into her voice. “You can’t just prosecute her for something she doesn’t do anymore.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, this line of business isn’t something that you just get tired of doing and quit.” Tavarius said dismissively before kicking the half drow in the back of her knees, forcing her to lose her balance and drop to them. “If she’s achieved this rank and is still alive… you can believe she’s still in the killing for hire business because murder is in her blood.” He added while reaching for the hilt of his bastard sword, but before he could even begin to draw it, the blade of Twinkle was gleaming at his throat.

(L) “If I so much as think I see a glimmer of your sword guard separating from your sheath, you’ll see who’s really got murder in her blood.” He redhead growled as the Lieutenant who had been looking on uneasily until this point unsheathed her 2 handed sword in alarm while several more guards of varying ranks came running from a distance.

(CT) “Are you trying to commit treason Lina Inverse…?” Tavarius asked with a snake-like smirk as the rest of the guards finally got to and surrounded the scene that was playing out. “You do realize that is a crime punishable by death do you not…?”

(L) Damn it, this was just what this bastard was going for and he goaded me right into it! The redhead finally realized. “The reason that I’m an honorary guest here to begin with is because I’ve done more for this Kingdom than you could ever possibly understand, and Phil and Amelia trust me unconditionally…” “I’d say that treason seems like more of your style ‘Captain’.” She shot back with a smirk.

“Your past credentials mean nothing to me, from where I’m standing you’ve brought an armed, paid murderer of the highest ranking into these royal walls and you were on your way to see her highness.” The Captain replied smoothly. “And on top of that, you’ve brought it upon yourself to threaten a Captain of the Royal Seyruun Sentry in defense of this assassin, so to me… it’s apparent where your ‘loyalties’ lie now.”

“If you think I’d betray Amelia and Phil, or just stand by and watch you execute any friend of mine, you’re more delusional and psychotic than I originally thought you were.” Lina retorted angrily, the check on her temper having reached it’s limits.

(?) “What is the meaning of this?!” An approaching, indignant, but familiar sounding female voice that was music to Lina’s ears suddenly demanded from outside the circle of guards.

Immediately the circle of sentries began to part before one guard after another took a knee and a certain crowned Seyruun princess passed through with Gourry and Sylphiel close behind as Tavarius began to sweat and Lina broke into a grin with her scimitar still to the man’s neck.

(L) “Looks like you blindly gambled on your hatred and lost, Tavarius.”

(CT) “Y-your highness, allow me to explain - -“ The Captain attempted.

Silence!!” Amelia fumed. “Mr. Gourry and Miss Sylphiel have explained more than enough and this is absolutely unacceptable and extremely unjust!” “Remove Miss Katibree Do’Urden’s restraints and return her things to her possession immediately!” She commanded, sending the surrounding guards into a flurry of motion before taking in the scene before her a moment more and noticing Lina still holding the scimitar to Tavarius’ throat with a small frown.

(A) “Lieutenant, have Captain Shemlee disarmed and restrained.” The Seyruun princess decreed while meeting and locking eyes with the sorcery genius as an understanding was communicated between the two of them wordlessly just like old times.

(LT) “Yes Your Highness.” The woman replied with a bow before turning and bellowing the order to the other soldiers. “You heard our Princess men, does she need to say it twice?!”

(A) “Captain Shemlee, it is obvious from your actions today that you doubt my trust in Miss Lina’s integrity and judgment…” Amelia began while turning to look at him as he was disarmed, restrained, and forced to his own knees with a grunt. “So perhaps… it would be better to let actions speak louder than words.” She continued while piercing him with her brilliant cerulean gaze.

“Therefore Miss Lina, the fate of Mr. Tavarius Shemlee, current Captain of the Royal Seyruun Security Breech Preventions Sentry is now in your hands.” The Seyruun princess finished.

The redhead couldn’t help but smile at this. “Well Amelia, in my opinion it would only be just to have the person actually wronged by him decide his punishment…” She pondered while reaching back and underneath her cape to re-sheath her scimitar. “So… I guess the real question here would be… what would an ‘assassin’ do?” She finished while glancing over at Katibree who was clipping her weapons back on her belt.

“Well as an assassin, I’d definitely have him executed.” The half elf replied while rubbing her wrists where the shackles had dug in as one sentry shoved the Captain’s head down to further expose the back of his neck while the Lieutenant brought up her 2 handed sword for the killing blow.

But…. I’m not that person anymore.” She interjected to stop the execution. “I’m sure he’s done something to benefit the Holy Kingdom of Seyruun at some time or other to obtain the rank of Captain, so even in light of his actions here today… it’s only right that he receive a fair trial.”

(A) “Now that was spoken like a true warrior of justice Mr. Shemlee!” The Seyruun Princess exclaimed while striking an inevitable justice pose with stars in her eyes to cheers and applause from the surrounding palace guards.

(K) “…T-true warrior of justice…?” The ex-assassin began to deadpan with a sweat-drop.

(L) That’s the Amelia we all know and love! Lina though to herself with a grin while placing a hand on the half elf’s shoulder. “Yeah, you didn’t think I was just kidding about Amelia did ya…?” “You’ll get used to it eventually.”

(A) ”This just goes to prove that although Miss Katibree’s heart may have once been misguided and lost in the shadows of evil, the unfailing light of good still prevailed and guided her onto the path of justice and truth!” Amelia continued passionately. “And… although my friend Miss Lina may have her faults, the potential good in people is something that she’s always been able to see and bring out.” She added more somberly.

“So you see Mr. Shemlee, that decree was in no way to be taken lightly, because I do trust her unconditionally.” “And although I allowed Miss Lina and ultimately Miss Katibree Do’Urden to decide your fate while you were still an appointed Captain to stress my point… you will not stand the trial that you were so graciously granted by them as such.”

“Strip ex-captain Shemlee of his rank markings and armor, then have him confined to be processed later!” The Seyruun princess finished.

As Tavarius was pulled to his feet and escorted away while the remaining security dispersed, Amelia turned her attention to Lina once again with a warm smile.

“I guess it’s not like I should have expected a quiet return when you finally did decide to visit Seyruun again…welcome back Miss Lina!” She finished before hugging the sorceress tightly.

Oof, thanks Amelia… It’s good to be back!” The redhead wheezed while returning the hug with a wince as her abused ribs received yet more punishment that she was now only more than happy to bear.

(A) “And welcome back as well Mr. Gourry and Miss Sylphiel, I’m just sorry our reunion couldn’t have started out more pleasantly!” The Seyruun princess continued while giving first Sylphiel and then Gourry an enthusiastic hug as well.

(G) “Great seeing you again Amelia!” The blonde warrior said cheerfully.

(S) “It’s good to see you too Miss Amelia!” Sylphiel replied with a grin.

With this, Amelia turned from the others to address Katibree with a dazzling smile of her own. “And welcome to the great Holy Kingdom of Seyruun as well, Miss Katibree Do’Urden!” She exclaimed. “And based on the devotion I see that my old comrades feel for you, welcome to the team as well!”

“Thank you, and it’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Princess Amelia Wil Tesla Seyruun, it’s truely an honor.” Katibree replied with a deep, cordial bow.

“There’s no need to be so formal Miss Katibree…!” The Seyruun princess blurted with a slight blush. “As far as I’m concerned, you’re practically family now, so calling me Amelia is just fine!” She added with an embarrassed laugh. “Anyway, you all look like you’ve been thrown right underneath a speeding carriage, what happened?”

(L) “It’s a really long story, Amelia.” Lina replied tiredly.

(A) ”I understand Miss Lina, let’s get you all to the healing section before we get into that then.” The princess said before heading in the direction of the healing ward. “A feast is already in the process of being prepared as well.” She added with a sly expression on her face that broke into an all out grin upon hearing the jubilant clamor of her friends.

Just like old times! Amelia thought to herself happily.

Chapter 55

Girl Talk

(A) “And dinner is served!” Amelia said cheerfully as servant after servant filed in and began placing dish after dish of steaming platters of food on the huge banquet table.

(L) “Oooooooh, I think I just died and went to heaven!” Lina squealed while reaching for the first thing placed in front of her ravenously.

(G) “Oh yeah, food!” Gourry exclaimed while assaulting the closest platter of delicacies to him as well.

(S) “It all looks very delicious Miss Amelia!” Sylphiel agreed before selecting a crab cake from a platter near the food frenzied swordsman savant and taking a dainty bite from it.

(K) “You’ve definitely got more courage than I do Nels Rada, I’d be afraid I’d lose an arm over there.” Katibree teased with a grin.

(S) “I’ve learned that the strategy to have when Miss Lina and Mr. Gourry are this hungry, is to get in and back out of the feeding frenzy as quickly and quietly as you can, or your likely to get nothing at all!” The shrine maiden replied with a laugh.

(A) ”That sounds like sound logic to me…!” Amelia giggled while she watched the timeless charade unfold.

(L) “Gourry, I said that was mine…!” Lina said through gritted teeth as she bit down one end of a baked chicken.

“I don’t see your name on it!” Gourry retorted while biting down on the other end of it comedicly.

“I already claimed it, so my name doesn’t have to be on it for it to be mine!” The redhead shot back before putting a boot against the blonde warrior’s chest for leverage and grabbing hold of the chicken and yanking in an attempt to pry it from his teeth. “It’s rude to keep a growing girl from food that’s rightfully hers, so let go!”

Who’s growing, you’ve been the same size since the day we met!” Gourry retorted while attempting to yank the disputed bird back over to his side. “It’s pretty amazing too, because as much as you eat, you’d think you’d be the size of a house by now!” He added.

“Heh, huh…huh…” The sorcery genius stopped struggling over the bird to laugh quietly while the swordsman took that opening to begin his devouring of his hard won chicken.

(S) “Oh dear…” Sylphiel said quietly.

(A) “Here it comes…” The Seyruun princess said with a sweat-drop.

(K) “You’d really think that Gabriev would learn by now - -“

Digger….. BOLT!!” Lina exclaimed as the other side of the table lit up with bluish white light.

“AAAaaAAarrrRRGGGHHHHHH!”

(A) “And there it went.” Amelia finished while placing a hand on her forehead and shaking her head. “Those two just haven’t changed at all…”

(K) “I don’t think she held back at all on that one.” The ex-assassin said wryly before taking a sip of wine.

(S) “I don’t think she did either…” The shrine maiden agreed while watching the continuing spectacle with a hand covering her mouth.

(A) “Anyway, why don’t you tell me something about yourself Miss Katibree?” The Seyruun princess said pleasantly as the redhead worked on a fresh rant from across the table while placing a certain charred swordsman savant in various punishing wrestling holds.

(K) “Well, there really isn’t much to tell.” The half elf replied. “And of what there is to tell, you probably wouldn’t care to hear most of anyway.”

(A)”Oh I get it…” Amelia began coyly. “You’re the silent, mysterious type too, huh?” She does kind of remind me of Mr. Zelgadis, just like Mr. Gourry and Miss Sylphiel said…

“Too…?” Katibree asked unsurely. If I’m being compared to Greywords again, I swear I’m going to go over there and strangle Gabriev myself

(L) “The ‘mysterious’ part I can agree with, but there’s nothing ‘silent’ about Kat.” The redhead said while sitting on the table with a huge drumstick as the well abused blonde warrior lay beneath her groaning miserably.

(A) ”Welcome back, Miss Lina.” The princess giggled.

(K) “And just what’s that supposed to mean, Red?” The mostly platinum haired warrior asked wryly.

“It means… that I couldn’t get ya to shut up even if I wired your jaw shut.” The sorceress said matter of factly around a mouthful of turkey.

“And the pot has just officially called the kettle black, ladies.” The half drow said with a grin as the shrine maidens on either side of her began to giggle.

“Hey, I admit that I talk allot…” Lina said while stifling a laugh. “I’m just not gonna sit there and watch you feed Amelia a line of bull about you supposedly being some mysterious warrior of ‘few words’.” She said before polishing off the last of the drumstick. “Trust me Amelia, once she gets used to you… you won’t be able to get her to shut up.” She added before taking a drink of wine.

“I’ll try and keep that in mind!” The Seyruun princess laughed. “So when did you start going by the nickname of ‘Red’ anyway Miss Lina?” She added as the sorcery genius promptly spat out her wine and begin to cough as Katibree did her best to keep a straight face. “Uhm…. Are you alright…?”

“…I’m fine Amelia…” The redhead managed. “Just got some… wine down the… wrong pipe…” I’m gonna kill her. She thought to herself with a blush.

(S) “I meant to ask you about that too Miss Lina.” Sylphiel chimed in after she saw the sorceress was ok. “I definitely think it suits you, but I’ve never known you to go by it before.

“Yeah well, it’s kind of a… recent thing ya know…” The sorcery genius said with a nervous little laugh and dismissive gesture. Going to frick-ing kill her!

(A) “I like it too!” Amelia said cheerfully. “Did Miss Katibree give you the nickname…?”

“Actually, she did.” Lina answered uncomfortably before throwing back the rest of the contents of her wine glass with one large gulp before promptly reaching for more. …Absolutely die of embarrassment if those two start calling me that… She continued to herself haggardly before slapping at a now recovered Gourry’s hand reaching for her plate. Maybe I should have given him two Digger Bolts instead…

(S) “So what made you come up with that particular nickname Miss Katibree?” The shrine maiden couldn’t help but ask as she observed the change in the redhead’s behavior.

“Well, isn’t it obvious?” The ex-assassin asked wryly. “She is a redhead after all.” 100 all natu-ral. She added to herself as it took all she had to not burst into unchecked laughter right then and there as Lina shot her a dirty look as if she’d heard the thought herself.

(A) “Yeah I guess so…” The Seyruun princess said while studying the wrong hair. “But, Miss Lina’s hair is so bright, it’s allot closer to orange….”

(K) “That’s true, but the nickname ‘Orange’ isn’t nearly as catchy as ‘Red’ in my opinion.” The half elf replied with a smirk.

(A) ”No, it’s not!” Amelia agreed with a laugh. “Anyway, is everyone done here…?” “Well, besides Mr. Gourry…?” She added with a sweat-drop as she watched the swordsman savant continue to devour all food in sight as the servers brought more.

(S) “I’m absolutely stuffed.” Sylphiel answered contently.

(K) “I’ve had more than enough, thank you for the excellent dinner Princess Seyruun.” The mostly platinum haired warrior replied.

“He, he… don’t mention it Miss Katibree…” The princess said while rubbing the back of her neck with a small laugh. So formal…it may sound silly, but I’m just not used to that, not coming from someone who adventures with Miss Lina anyway…”How about you, Miss Lina…?” She added to the sorceress who currently had her nose in yet another wine glass.

“Hum… oh yeah, I’m pretty full actually.” Lina finally replied.

“Now that’s a first!” Both shrine maidens, Katibree, and Gourry said simultaneously much to a certain redhead’s annoyance.

“Am I really gonna have to start blowing people up after having been back in Seyruun less than 3 hours after nearly a 2 year absence…?” The redhead asked menacingly.

(A) ”Please don’t total the dinning area Miss Lina, we didn’t mean anything by it… really!” The Seyruun princess pleaded while stifling a giggle. “I was just thinking that if all the girl’s are done we could all take a proper bath together.

(S) “That sounds like a wonderful idea Miss Amelia!” The shrine maiden said while clasping her hands together. “We had a chance to take quick ones before we went to the healing ward because our gear was taken to be cleaned and repaired and we were being provided with new clothes… but, it would be nice to take a long luxurious one together!”

(L) “Yeah, it feels like it’s been ages since I’ve really taken a nice, long, hot bath… and your hot springs can’t be beat Amelia!” The sorcery genius agreed cheerfully.

(K) T-t……together? Katibree stammered to herself in disbelief. Bathing with Lina is one thing but…

(L) “So what do ya say, Kat?” Lina turned to the ex-assassin to ask coyly. “Up for a bath with the girls?” She’s totally freaking out, I knew it! She exclaimed to herself gleefully while struggling to keep her face straight.

“Well, I uhm…” The half elf began flusteredly. “I-I I’m going to go ahead and pass on… that one - -“

“Oh come on Kat, don’t be that way…” The sorceress said while giving the older girl her best cute face. “She’s just shy because she not used to the custom yet.” She explained over her shoulder to the other girls.

(S) “That’s right, Miss Katibree is from the outer barrier… there must be places there that don’t have public bathing…” Sylphiel mused.

(A) “Don’t be shy Miss Katibree; it’ll be allot of fun!” Amelia reassured her. “We always have a great time together at the hot springs!”

(K) “I really don’t think - -“ Katibree tried again before Lina cut her off by grabbing her arm and leading her away with a sweet smile.

“I’ll just give her a quick pep talk and we’ll meet ya right there, ok girls?” The redhead called with a wave.

“Gotcha Miss Lina / Ok, but hurry!” Sylphiel and Amelia called back.

(A) ”Oh, and Mr. Gourry…?” The princess said as an afterthought.

“Yeah, Amelia…?” Gourry asked while looking up from his new growing pile of plates.

“Try not to eat Seyruun into a famine please…?” Amelia said with a smile before turning and heading in the direction of the hot springs while chatting animatedly with Sylphiel as the blonde warrior blinked after them before finally shrugging and beginning to eat once more.

(L) “Come on Kat, don’t be such a baby.” The redhead said as soon as the two of them were out of the dining area with the door shut.

“I-I am not being a baby…!” The mostly platinum haired warrior said with her voice cracking to a slightly higher pitch. “I just have no desire to sit and stare at your two friends nude for what sounds like it going to be hours on end…”

“That’s really a shame, because Sylphiel’s just smokin’ let me tell ya.” The younger girl teased.

“You are not helping at all, Red.” The half drow deadpanned.

“Loosen up, I don’t see what the big deal is!” The sorcery genius said with a laugh.

The big deal is that I’ll be ‘tightening up’ instead of ‘loosening up’, I have no interest in doing my best not to notice a shrine maiden peepshow for an hour.” The ex-assassin hissed while beginning to gesture steadily more irritably. “I like my bone crushing, Fireballing, Dragon Slaving, ‘Enemy of all who live that leaves wreckage and chaos in her wake’ just fine thankyouverymuch She continued to rant quietly.

“You’ve known those two for years, so it’s expected of you… I met Nels Rada a week ago and Princess Seyruun less than four hours ago.” The half drow continued to rant as the younger girl descended into a helpless fit of the giggles. “I want to look at nice perky breasts, not avoid looking a big fluffy ones… and on top of that if I look at your nice perky ones for more than a second or so at a time, you can bet that the owners of the big fluffy ones are gonna start ta wonder, Red…!”

“I don’t want to have to have a conversation with Nels Rada that I can hardly follow because in the back of my mind I’m thinking: ‘Well what do ya know, reaching your ‘Threshold’ drains the color of your pubic hair too!’ ‘And my, isn’t that an adorable little mole on Miss Crowned Princess Amelia Wil Tesla Seyruun’s ass who’s conveniently bending over right in front of me!?” She continued with sarcastic glee as Lina doubled over in unchecked laughter.

(L) Breathe… Baby, breathe The redhead finally managed in between partially stifled bursts of laughing. “Just calm down ok…?” “Look, if you still don’t come with me after I’ve talked to you about it for this long, they’re going to know something’s up and just start asking more questions...”

“Gods-damn it Lina…” Katibree swore while smoothing out her mostly platinum colored mane agitatedly. “I don’t need this shit.”

“Come on, if you don’t go this time we’re both going to get about a billion questions more from them and they’ll just try even harder to get you to go with us the next time.” The sorceress tried to explained apologetically, but couldn’t quite pull off the sympathy believably as she was still grinning from ear to ear…

“Ah… fuck me…” The ex-assassin complained after finally giving in as the sorcery genius lead her in the direction of the hot springs where Amelia and Sylphiel were waiting for them.

Lina bit her tongue to spare the older girl the comment of ‘Maybe if you sneak into my room later on tonight.’ Which would have undoubtedly earned her a lump on the head at this particular moment and went with the second choice of: “Just relax Hun, everything will be fine and it’ll be over before you know it.” And people claim I have no self restraint…! She thought to herself wryly.

(K) “I still can’t believe you’re making me do this Lina…” Katibree continued to complain as the two of them went into the changing area and began to undress side by side. “This is going to be an absolute catastrophe.”

“You’ve really gotta work on your positive thinking Kat…” The sorceress said with a smirk as she tossed the last of her clothes off to the side and reached for a towel. “And you should probably try and get most of the staring out of your system before we go in too…” She whispered with a little wink as the older girl’s eyes began to reflexively wander her lithe frame.

The half elf smacked herself in the forehead while squeezing her lavender colored eyes shut at this. “Absolute…. Nightmare She groaned as the redhead wrapped her towel around herself with a giggle.

“Just come in when you’re ready, but you can’t say you were never ready and just not come in.” The redhead teased as she opened up the door to the hot springs area and froze in her tracks as both shrine maidens called to her while waving animatedly, sending their breasts into a fascinating variety of motions as Lina held back a nosebleed.

Whoa The sorceress said before simply shutting the door back with an unreadable expression on her face.

Everything ok, Lover…?” The half drow asked wryly as she wrapped her own towel around herself.

W-what….what the hell did ya do to me Kat?!” Lina hissed while pressing her back to the door as images of creamy bits slowly faded from her mind. “I’m… I’m a fricking… raging pervert now or something!” “I walked in there and it was like I’d never seen them naked my entire life, and someone had just shoved a miniature fireball up my - -”

“This isn’t going to be as easy as you thought it was going to be, is it?” The ex-assassin asked with a laugh.

“Oh, shut up and come on…” The redhead replied while placing one hand on the doorknob and the other on Katibree’s wrist. “We’re going in at the same time.”

“But… I’m not ready yet - -“

“Thesamedamntime!” The sorcery genius reiterated flusteredly while throwing the door to the hot springs area back open and practically dragging the mostly platinum haired warrior in with her. “Sorry about that, Kat here was trying to get cold feet on me!” She said while breaking into the most forced smile she thought she’d ever faked as she headed toward the two shrine maidens wading in the shallow side of the springs.

(A) ”We were beginning to think that you’d changed your mind about showing up Miss Lina!” The Seyruun princess teased with a giggle.

“Nope, wouldn’t miss this for the world!” Lina replied with a huge sweat-drop as she whipped off her towel and practically cannonballed into the springs causing the shrine maidens to squeal gleefully as they were splashed.

(S) “Aren’t you coming in Miss Katibree…?” Sylphiel asked happily. “The water feels really amazing!”

“Uhm, sure…” Katibree replied while averting her eyes with a blush as she loosened her towel before finally reluctantly letting it drop.

(A)”Oh Miss Katibree, you have an amazing figure!” Amelia complimented, causing the half elf to blush all the more vividly as she made her way into the steaming water. “Don’t you think so, Miss Lina?”

“Eh heh, oh really…?” The redhead asked nervously while rubbing the back of her neck. “I guess I…hadn’t really noticed…” She added while superstitiously scanning the expansive arched ceiling for any arcs of lightening that may be headed her way…

(A)”Don’t be silly Miss Lina!” The princess said with a laugh. “You’ve always noticed other girl’s bodies since I’ve ever known you!”

(K) Wow, I’m not even sure what to think of that comment… The mostly platinum haired warrior thought to herself. “I think I’ll go for a swim now.” She said before diving beneath the surface of the water and swimming in the direction of the deeper end of the springs.

(L) “Jeez Amelia, you didn’t have to go and make me sound like some kind of pervert…” Lina said while blushing profusely.

“Oh, I didn’t mean it that way!” Amelia with a embarrassed little smile. “What I meant was... you’ve just always been so self-conscious about your body that you’ve always felt like you needed to compare yourself to other girls…”

Thanks for that little clarification after the girlfriend swims away…The redhead thought to herself while leaning against the side of the tiled area with a sigh and roll of her ruby colored eyes. ‘Yeah… well maybe, but I’m pretty sure I’m done with that little phase that I went through now.”

(S) “Well, I really must admit that you certainly do seem more confident in that department now Miss Lina.” The shrine maiden who’d been relaxing quietly while floating on her back with her eyes closed up until this point piped up. “I wouldn’t have expected to see you sporting that mercenary outfit you were wearing the other night in a hundred years!” She added with a giggle.

(A)”A mercenary outfit…?” The princess inquired while leaning forward with interest. “So what did it look like, was it super scan-da-lous…?” She practically cooed.

“Oh yes, it was made of form fitting leather and everything…” Sylphiel replied conspiratorially. “It even showed off enough cleavage to get Dear Gourry to stand up and take notice….”

(A) “Oooooh, does that mean that you’ve finally broken down and are trying to hook Mr. Gourry in for keeps now Miss Lina?”

“Come on guys, would ya give a girl a break…?” The sorceress asked haggardly. “The merc outfit was just a disguise I was using at one time and nothing more.” She added while beginning to massage her temples. “The only reason I put it on that night at all was because my sorceress’s outfit was ruined during the sneak attack on my room...”

(A) “I’m sorry Miss Lina; I wasn’t trying to give you a hard time…!” The Seyruun Princess laughed. “It’s just that everyone’s always been under the impression that you’ve got the hots for Mr. Gourry.”

(L) “The hots for Gourry…?” The redhead replied doubtfully.

“Well yeah, why else would you have decided to stick with him so long otherwise?” Amelia asked.

“He’s one of my best friends Amelia.” Lina replied with a little laugh. “Just because I enjoy adventuring with him doesn’t mean I have the ‘hots’ for him.” She added while using two fingers on either hand to put quotations on the word ‘hots’ before leaning back against the edge of the hot springs and clasping her hands behind her head leisurely.

(A) “Well if that’s the case… what’s changed between back then and now?” The Princess inquired while wading out to slightly deeper water.

“….What do ya mean by that?” The sorceress asked after a bit of hesitation.

“Well whenever I used to ask you about stuff like this when we were on the road back then, you always got all flustered and embarrassed about it…”

“Yeah, I guess I did…” Lina admitted while scratching her head in thought. “I mean, I was allot younger back then, and I really wasn’t sure about how I felt about him at the time…” “I guess it just took me awhile to realize that I view Gourry as… more of a brother than anything else.”

(A) “Oh, I see…” Amelia said somewhat crestfallenly.

(S) In the past I never believed Miss Lina when she denied her feelings for Gourry Dear, but now she sounds so sure about it…Could it be that - -

(A) “Well what about you Miss Sylphiel?” The Seyruun Princess suddenly asked jolting the fellow shrine maiden out of her thoughts.

“….What about me?” Sylphiel finally asked lamely.

“You know what I mean…” Amelia persisted while moving over and proceeding to elbow the taller girl in the ribs with a knowing grin. “If Miss Lina finally decided that she doesn’t want a relationship with Mr. Gourry, that makes him fair game for you right…?”

The shrine maiden began to stammer flusteredly at this.

“There’s no way you can tell me that you aren’t crushing on him anymore…” The Princess continued wryly. “I caught you staring at him when he had his shirt off in the healing ward earlier…”

(S) “Oh…!” The shrine maiden gasped before covering her mouth with both hands as she began to turn a vivid shade of red.

(L) “Sooo busted Sylphiel!” Lina laughed as Katibree returned from her swim.

(K) “Caught in the act, eh Nels Rada…?” The mostly platinum haired warrior teased while settling down against a ledge herself.

“I didn’t…. I mean, I wasn’t….I-I didn’t mean too!” The shrine maiden stammered.

(L) “Heh, relax Syl, it’s not like it wasn’t already common knowledge that you’re totally into him anyway…” The sorcery genius chuckled.

“I guess it kinda is…. Huh…?” Sylphiel finally agreed shyly.

(K) “Blatantly obvious.” The ex-assassin agreed. “And besides, you were only checking him out with his shirt off… it’s not like you were ‘meat gazing’ or anything.”

(S) “…Meat what….?” The shrine maiden began to ask before finally catching the half elf’s meaning and promptly returning to her previous shade of red as Amelia followed suit before descending into a fresh fit of the giggles.

(K) “Katibree…!” Lina tried to scold while doing her best not to join in the laughter.

(A)”….Can’t believe you just…. said that Miss Katibree!” The princess managed in between short stretches of non-giggledum.

(K) “I mean, it’s not like anyone would hold it against her if she had been taking a package survey but - -“ The half drow continued until she was swatted by a certain redhead.

“What…?” Katibree asked the younger girl in feigned incomprehension while stifling a laugh of her own.

“Would ya stop corrupting the shrine maiden’s already, Kat…?” The sorceress asked through a hand on her face.

“How am I corrupting them??” The half elf asked with an innocent expression on her own face.

Lina merely blinked at her a moment before finally speaking once more. “Fine… keep it up… but I’m tellin’ ya right now; the first time Amelia uses a term like ‘meat gazing’ or ‘package surveys’ around Phil… I’m not even going to wait to see the look of horror on his face before I point right at you and say: “She did it.”

“Wow…. You’re not even going to do me the favor of just shoving me out in front of the carriage so maybe I’ll have a chance to dodge it…?”

“Nope, throwin’ you right under it.” The sorcery genius affirmed with a grin.

“Alright, alright…. I’ll try and keep it clean then…!” Katibree finally agreed.

(L) “Yeah… we’ll see how long that lasts…” Lina muttered with a roll of her ruby colored eyes as The Seyruun princess finally got her laugher enough under control to observe the two interact more closely.

(A)”Ok, so I’ve got another question for you Miss Lina…” Amelia began slowly after watching the duo banter back and forth a moment more.

“What’s that Amelia…?” The redhead inquired lightly.

“Well…. You basically just said that you’ve only just recently made up your mind about your feelings for Mr. Gourry right…?”

“Yeah….?” The sorceress answered somewhat cautiously.

“So… was it because…. Maybe someone ‘else’ caught your eye that helped you with your final decision about how you felt about him…?” The Seyruun princess asked while studying Lina’s body language.

(K) “Yeah Lina…” Katibree added while lean forward conspiratorially. “Have any new crushes you’ve neglected to let the girl’s in on?”

(S) “You wouldn’t keep something like that from your best friends would you Miss Lina…?” Sylphiel chimed in while leaning forward herself.

Gonna fricking kill her! Lina thought to herself for what seemed the 50th or so time that day as she already began to feel her cheeks reddening as all three friends leaned in to hear what she had to say expectantly. She sure is one hell of an actress… “C-come on guys, come off it already and give a girl some breathing room.” She finally managed flusteredly. “It’s not like I actually have the time in my line of work to just go cruising the town for viable prospects for that…”

(A)”No, I guess you really don’t have the time to do that…” Amelia finally admitted with a little smile. “Well, as long as we’re still on the subject of girl talk… how about you Miss Katibree, have you had a crush on anyone lately?”

“A crush as in… admiring an unrequited or oblivious love interest from afar?” The ex-assassin asked while placing a hand on her chin in thought. “No… not recently.” She finally answered wryly. Well at least not that recently… She added to herself silently.

(L) That was pretty slick… Kat actually managed to answer the question without out right lying to Amelia by being so specific… The redhead thought in bemusement.

(A)“That was a pretty technical answer Miss Katibree!” The Seyruun Princess replied, her cerulean colored eyes glimmering with amusement.

“Yeah well, I’ve found that it’s normally better to be a specific as possible when answering a question.” The mostly platinum haired warrior joked as they all sat around in steaming water roughly up to their chests.

(L) “How about you Amelia…?” Lina asked. “Still chasing the old chimera flame?” She added with a knowing little smirk.

“Well… more like waiting for him I guess…” Amelia answered quietly while looking down at the water bashfully. “He actually stopped by about a month ago actually, said he’s landed a mercenary job from an anonymous source…” She began to explain.

(L) “Zel took a job from a completely anonymous source…?” The sorcery genius asked in surprise. “As paranoid and distrusting as he is, that’s about the last thing I expected to hear.”

“I know, I thought so too… but he said the pay can’t be beat and he can really use the money.” The princess mused. “He also said that whoever did hire him wants to find the mark pretty badly.” “The employer paid Mr. Zelgadis ¼ of it in advance just to look for the mark, but if he manages to find and capture the mark, he’ll receive the rest of the payment then.

(L) “That really is a sweet deal…” Lina said with a little whistle. “The employer had to be hard up to make an agreement like that, but I definitely see why Zelgadis couldn’t bring himself to pass the job up now.”

(A)”Yeah, my only worry is, if the job is paying as much as Mr. Zelgadis is making it sound like it’s paying…” Amelia continued before trailing off worriedly.

(S) “It’s going to be a very dangerous job…” Sylphiel finished for her quietly.

(L) “Awww come on you two, don’t get all down in the dumps worrying about Zel…” The redhead said cheerfully. “He didn’t get the nickname ‘Heartless Mystical Swordsman’ for nothing; if there’s anyone that can take care of themselves… it’s Zelgadis.”

(A)”Yeah… you’re right Miss Lina!” Amelia finally agreed more cheerfully.

(S) “Yeah, if we should be worried about anything… it’d probably be smarter to worry about accidentally turning into prunes in here…” The shrine maiden added with a giggle.

(L) “We really have been in here for quite a while…” Lina replied in surprise after glancing over at the clock. “I totally lost track of the time.” She added while rubbing the back of her neck with a little laugh.

(A)”I guess it’s time to actually wash up then!” The princess replied while standing to make her way up into the titled area too.

(K) “You guys… wash each other during this custom too…?” Katibree asked uncomfortably while averting her eyes as the princess stood only to be blindsided by a blatant crotch shot from Sylphiel as she stood as well to join Amelia. I-I guess my little comment about what affect reaching her threshold would have on Nels Rada’s pubic hair turned out to be more of a prediction…She thought to herself as the tips of her ears began to redden in embarrassment.

(A)”Oh, no Miss Katibree… we just scrub each other’s backs because it’s more convenient that way.” Amelia explained while bending over to set up her stool and inadvertently giving a certain sorcery genius making her way out of the springs an unexpected glimpse into the younger girl’s ‘future’, causing her to nosebleed and fall backwards with an unceremonious sounding... “H-Hawh…!!” SPLOOSH! Followed by a barely audible snicker from Katibree as she headed for the tiled area herself.

(S) “Oh, Miss Lina… are you alright??” Sylphiel asked while rushing back to the side of the hot springs in alarm with Amelia close behind.

(A)“Miss Lina, you’re bleeding; did you bump your nose against something?” The Seyruun Princess chimed in worriedly as a certain ex-assassin doubled over in silent laughter behind them.

Nope, but I almost did…The sorceress thought to herself while holding her nose with a slight blush. “Yeah, something like that…” She finally answered while averting her ruby colored eyes in slight annoyance of the hovering shrine maiden duo. “Just go ahead and get started without me, I’ll be out in a bit.

(A)“O-ok then…” Amelia replied unsurely before turning back toward the titled area with Sylphiel where Katibree was already working on rather hurriedly scrubbing herself clean-er.

(S) “…Did you need one of us to wash your back, Miss Katibree?” The taller girl finally asked after a moments hesitation.

“I’m pretty sure I can live without adding that custom to my list too, but thanks anyway Sylphiel.” The mostly platinum haired warrior replied while making the conscious effort to avert her eyes as she spoke to the girl as Lina finally got her leaky nose under control and finally made her way out of the water without further incident.

(A)”So Miss Lina, I was thinking…” The princess said while beginning to scrub Sylphiel’s back after she sat down on her respective bathing stool. “Did you want to have a sleepover in my room just like old times tonight?”

“…I think…I’m actually going to want my own room tonight Amelia.” Lina replied apologetically as she began to wash herself. “I know it’s been like forever since we’ve seen each other last, and I really did have allot of fun tonight….” “But, I’m really exhausted and… I’ve got allot of things on my mind that I need to just have some peace and quiet to try and figure out, ya know?” She tried to explain. Plus I’ve got a girlfriend now and sleeping in the same bed again with Amelia would be pretty weird… wouldn’t want to reach over in my sleep in the middle of the night thinking she was Kat and do something… that would really suck to have to try and explain away. She added to herself somewhat uneasily.

(A)”It’s ok, I understand…” The Seyruun princess said, but her disappointment was apparent as she began to wash her own hair as Sylphiel began to scrub her back.

(L) “And besides…” The sorcery genius added at the younger girl’s crestfallen look. “We’ve got allot of serious stuff to discuss tomorrow, as well as some really big decisions to make, just with those reasons alone it would be better to get a good night’s sleep tonight instead of staying up and chatting until well past dawn like we’d inevitably do.” She added before picking up a bucket of fresh water and dumping it over her head to rinse her own hair.

(A)”Yeah, that is true…” Amelia agreed with a little smile before rinsing her own hair as well.

Just then, Katibree stood and wrapped a towel around herself having already finished bathing.

(S) “Already leaving us Miss Katibree…?” The shrine maiden asked pleasantly as she worked on finishing up her own bath.

“Yeah, it’s been a pretty taxing day…” The half elf replied with a little sigh.

(A)“Oh, I almost forgot, you’ll have to ask one of the castle’s personnel to have a room prepared for you.” Amelia piped up while drying her hair. “The rest of the gang already has rooms reserved especially for them, but you’re a new addition to the team.”

“No problem at all.” The ex-assassin called over her shoulder while making her way back to the changing room as the others girls finished up.

Soon enough the remaining trio of girls had completed their baths as well and made their way to the dressing room.

(S) “I don’t think I’ve ever been this ready for bed…” Sylphiel said with a little sigh as the three got dressed in their fresh replacement clothes.

(L) “You said it Sylphiel!” Lina agreed as she finished putting on the last of her clothing.

(A)”I’m sorry you all had such a horrible day, but at least justice triumphed in the end and you’re all still whole and here now!” Amelia said as they headed for the exit to the dressing room.

(L) “Yeah, luck was really on our side earlier today.” The redhead agreed tiredly. “Anyway, I’m about to drop where I stand; So I’ll see you two in the morning Ok?” She added with a little wave before turning and walking in the direction of her quarters.

“Goodnight Miss Lina!” The shrine maiden duo chimed simultaneously before saying their proper goodnights to each other and then heading in the direction of their respective rooms for the night as well.

A little later on...

As soon as the sorcery genius got to her room, she flung off her shoes and flopped backwards onto the giant bed behind her. “What a day…” She said with an exhausted sigh.

I’m dog assed tired, but for some reason I don’t think that sleep is going to come as easily as it usually does… She continued to herself. Even though we’re in about as safe of a place as you can find right now, that close call earlier today still kind of has me feeling edgy.

We’re temporarily out of the woods as far as immediate treats go at least, but lately I’ve just been feeling like more and more problems are constantly piling on faster than I can even find a decent resolution for the first damn one! The sorceress thought while clutching the sides of her head in growing frustration.

And on top of that, I really need to go over some stuff with Katibree… We’ve both kind of been avoiding the subject because for one, Kat’s a very private person and we really didn’t have any privacy to discuss it out on the road with Gourry and Sylphiel around, and for two… it’s just really uncomfortable for her to talk about in general…But there’s just no way we can ignore the issue of her heritage anymore.

There’s the deal that happened with Twinkle earlier, and then there’s the reason why I think that Xellos is trailing us, and then there’s the deal with Kat’s still developing powers… I’m trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, but I need her to help me figure this out because I’ve got this sinking feeling that something really bad is coming and I want to be as prepared for it as I possibly can… The redhead continued while rolling over on her stomach with an irritable groan before covering her head with a pillow. “I don’t even know where her room is…” She muttered into the extravagant bed’s comforter.

And going around asking random castle staff until I happen upon someone who knows where her room is set up probably isn’t the most inconspicuous behavior...

“…Why the hell does everything have to be so damn complicated all the time…?” She whispered conflictedly after a short pause. Gods do I have a headache…

Come on L-sama, throw me a bone here…Is it really too much to ask to just see my girlfriend…?” The redhead added more quietly.

Just then there was a familiar quiet tapping at her window causing Lina to toss the pillow off her head and look over at it in bemusement.

“……I…guess I owe ya one.” The sorcery genius finally said while glancing toward the heavens with a smirk.

 

Previous (Chapters 46-50)          Next (Chapters 56-60)

Go Back To Archive