Author:  Zephilia_Wine
Title:  New Revelations : Chapter 56 - 60

This fan fiction is purely fan made (thus the name FAN fiction) and is in no way actually affiliated with the creators of the actual Slayers franchise. I do not own Slayers and no copyright infringement is intended, nor is any profit being made off of this work of fiction.

 

On another note, this story contains an original character... [To see a picture of her click here]  (ducks the tomato's and balks at the boos and hisses) yes, yes i know. The character is based loosely on the concept of some of the works of the author R A Salvatore. Once again no copyright infringement is intended here. I merely borrowed the Do'Urden name for a while and a little fictional DNA here and there. (can sperm and eggs be copyrighted...?)

 

Another warning, this fanfic contains scenes of graphic, descriptive violence, as well as sex. This is a Yuri Fanfic as well so it will contain girl on girl sexual situations.

 

If you are offended by any of the things mentioned above or are NOT 18 years of age or older, TURN BACK NOW. You have been warned... now let the good times commence!

 

New Revelations

Chapter Selection

Chapter 56

Meltdown

Why didn’t she just pick the lock…? Lina wondered while rolling off the bed and onto her feet.

The sorceress walked over to the window and pulled the curtain to one side before breaking into a smile at the sight of a certain half elf’s silhouette crouching on the ledge outside her window highlighted by the moon.

An alarm spell… that explains it. The sorceress deducted as she dispelled the spell with a wave of her hand and unlocked the window with a snap of her fingers. Unlock is like, one of the greatest spells ever created…She added to herself with a smirk while opening the window allowing the ex-assassin to hop in silently and closing it back behind her.

“What took ya so long?” The redhead asked wryly while pulling the older girl closer to her and wrapping her arms around her neck.

“This entire castle is completely anti-stealth…” Katibree replied with a chuckle while placing her arms around the smaller girl’s slender waist. “It didn’t help that Princess Seyruun beefed up security like you suggested either.” She added with her luminous lavender colored eyes twinkling playfully.

“Oh boohoo, you could use the exercise anyway.” Lina teased before leaning the rest of the way in and giving the half drow a lingering kiss before burying her face in the older girl’s neck and closing her eyes with a weary sigh afterwards.

“Looks like you’re practically dead on your feet, lover…” The mostly platinum haired warrior murmured while readjusting an arm to begin massaging the back of the sorceress’s neck.

“Mmmmph…” Was the younger girl’s only reply into the half elf’s neck as she basked in the much missed attention and smell of the older girl’s skin.

“Did you even try to go to sleep?” The ex-assassin asked as she began to back toward the bed, prompting the sorceress to follow her feet as they continued to embrace.

“Couldn’t.” Came the sorcery genius’ muffled reply as they neared the side of the bed.

“Mind going a million miles a minute…?” Katibree asked before simply falling backwards on the bed with a grunt with the smaller girl on top.

“…Yeah…” The redhead finally answered after a short pause, her face having never left the side of the half drow’s neck.

“So what do you want to do, talk or sleep?” The mostly platinum haired warrior asked wryly as she felt the tension in the sorceress’ muscles begin to melt away.

“Haven’t decided yet…” Lina answered while shifting her weight on the older girl slightly. “And even if I decide to talk… I have no clue where to even begin to start anymore…”

“Well, just talk about the most critical thing and work your way down then I guess.” The ex-assassin offered.

The redhead rolled off of the larger girl and on to her back next to her at this. “The most critical thing - - everything is the most critical thing at this point, that’s exactly what’s wrong.” She began while staring up at the ceiling with a wrist against her forehead.

“And the worst thing is, there’s no resolution in sight for any of the stuff we’re dealing with, and the problems just keep literally multiplying.” “I don’t know what I’m gonna… I have no idea how I’m going to deal with any of this.” The sorceress continued with a small frown as her temples began to throb painfully once more.

“There’s the thing with Gourry, and me worrying about him finding out about us and you two getting into a serious fight.” The sorcery genius tried to explain while massaging her temples. “And even if that isn’t the case and you two don’t end up fighting, there’s still the whole issue of breaking one of the best friends that I’ve ever had’s heart into a million pieces.”

“I mean, what am I gonna say to him…?” “Hey thanks for waiting patiently all these years until I finally made up my mind Gourry, but I went ahead and chose someone else instead; you know her actually.” She said in mock nonchalance. “How long have we been dating…?” “Oh, a few months now… right under your nose actually!” She finished while looking over at the older girl with a grimace. “No matter how you look at it, this just isn’t going to go over well.”

(K) “Especially if the news is broken to him that way…” Katibree replied with a slight grimace of her own.

“And that’s just an internal issue among the party that I haven’t figured out how to deal with in a way that’s the least traumatic.” Lina continued with a hand over her face. I was kind of hoping that after them spending so much time alone together, he’d end up falling for Sylphiel so that the blow would be softer but that just hasn’t happened…If Gourry’s anything, he loyal.

“On top of that, there’s the deal with Xellos following us, because that’s never good.” She continued while beginning to count with the fingers on the hand not covering her face. “Which leads to the question of whether Xellos and Beastmaster are affiliated with Soshurn somehow; because that would be just what we don’t need at this point.”

“There’s also the question of how many copies Soshurn’s capable of making and how long it takes to make them.” Lina continued while beginning to rustle her fiery mane in agitation as she stared at her fingers. “There’s also the question of where he’s making them and whether we can even get to that place and shut it down because monsters normally reside in the astral plane.” “There the question of whether we’re going to walk out of Seyruun and find an army of hundreds of Rahtarimu’s, Zifolis’, and Filzinia’s waiting for us or if there are even more copies with new abilities that we don’t know about yet, Soshurn may even be capable of cloning himself for all we know.” The redhead who’d run out of fingers on the first hand and had resorted to using the other as well began to list off more quickly.

“There’s also the question of whether your manifesting powers are a sign that Shabranigdo’s dormant essence has been activated or if this is just your innate abilities finally kicking in after all this exposure to powerful magic.” The sorceress continued to list while beginning to clench her jaw unconsciously as she spoke. “And if it is that Ruby Eyed Shabranigdo’s essence has been activated, is it Twinkle that’s keeping it in check or is it only a matter of time before the corruption takes over.” She continued while clutching the back of her head with both hands as her breathing began to come in shorter and quicker breaths.

“And that leads to the question of what I’m going to do if the corruption does take over… and… and I can’t…I can’t find a way to reverse it…” Lina continued before trailing off and suddenly rolling off the bed and to her feet.

She stood that way for a long moment, merely staring at the wall silently while clutching the back of her head and breathing sporadically with her back to the half elf.

After a minute of the only sound in the room being that of the sorceresses quiet ragged breathing the half drow finally spoke. “Red - -?” She tried tentatively before being cut off as the younger girl suddenly spun around.

“It’s all issues, problems, and questions and no fucking answers or solutions Kat!” The sorceress exploded with tears streaming down her face. “None!” She reiterated in frustration. “I-I’m always the one with all the answers when it hits the fan, I’m the one that everyone always depends on to save the day, I’m the one that saves the world when no one else can, I’m Lina Inverse and I can’t even kiss my own girlfriend in public because I’m afraid the guy who thought he was going to be my boyfriend might commit suicide!” She exclaimed while pointing at herself with both index fingers vigorously.

“I am sick of the pretending, I’m sick of the lies and deception when all I want to be is happy!” Lina shouted while kicking the side of the bed. “How can the only thing that’s truly made me happy, the only thing that’s ever filled that void for me, make someone else so miserable??” “I feel like everything is just going up in smoke, I mean… if I don’t figure out something quickly enough… I may end up losing you all together and… we just… I just…” She faltered before merely crumpling to the floor of the bedroom while sobbing defeatedly with her hands covering her face.

The mostly platinum haired warrior thought she could feel her own heart breaking at the sight as if the younger girl’s pain was transferring directly to her as she stood from the bed while fighting off tears of her own. “Come here Red, you’re hyperventilating…” She managed through a lump in her throat while bending down and picking the trembling sorceress up before depositing her gently on the bed.

“This would be called a panic attack, kind of a nastier version of what you went through on the ship to Gheyahsayl minus anything pleasant…” The older girl explained quietly while laying down next to and embracing the redhead who was laying on her side and still sobbing quietly in-between ragged breaths.

“I want you to take a deep breath, hold it, and listen to me, do you understand?” Katibree asked quietly as the younger girl buried her face in her chest.

Lina merely nodded and complied with a deep shaky breath and held it.

“…One… day… at a time.” The half elf finally said slowly and clearly. “Now let it out slowly to get your breathing back to normal.” She instructed calmly.

The redhead let out a decidedly less shaky breath and took another deep breath and held it for good measure as she continued to listen to the mostly platinum haired warrior.

“You are indeed Lina Inverse, an extraordinary human with demigod powers… but you’re still human, and even amazing human beings such as yourself can only process so many things at one time, so we can chart it out and discuss it issue by issue if you’d like, but no more overloading yourself ok?” Katibree inquired gently.

The sorcery genius nodded once more while exhaling as her shaking subsided.

“And as far as you and I go, listen… what do you hear right now…?” The ex-assassin asked.

“…….Your heart beating…” The sorceress finally replied in borderline bemusement as to what she’d ever bothered to get so worked up over.

“So even if we may not be together forever, that heartbeat you hear proves I’m here right now… so what good does it do to spend our time together now, worrying about an unknown future…?” Katibree asked while placing her chin on the top of Lina’s head with a little sigh. “All we can do is try our best to plan for it and enjoy the time we have together here and now.”

“Hey, Kat…?” Lina asked after a long moment of silence between the two of them.

“Hum…?”

“Thanks.”

“Um hum.” The ex-assassin replied while closing her lavender colored eyes wearily. “So is this what you were stressing out about on our way here when Nels Rada asked what was wrong…?

“No actually, I was thinking about home at that time…” The redhead replied quietly.

“Home?” The half elf inquired.

“Yeah, Zephilia’s even closer to the shore than Seyruun is; seeing all the renovations being made to recover from the tsunami got me thinking.” The younger girl began to explain while wiping her eyes with a sniff. “I mean, I know Mom and Dad are ok, because I would have been notified if anything had happened to them, but it’s just been eating at me that I screwed up so bad again.” “I basically just ruined the livelihood and economy of Zephilia with that stunt…”

“It was an honest mistake, people make them all the time.”

“It wasn’t a mistake, and even if it was that’s a really huge mistake.”

“So you’re telling me that while we were fighting that sea monster, you looked over and saw the shore in the distance and said: “Ooooooh, let’s see how big of a tidal wave I can make!” The half elf clarified with a smirk.

“Well no… I had no idea we were that close to shore…” Lina said while stifling a laugh. “But, I certainly didn’t fire of the Dragon Slave accidentally.

“So if it wasn’t your intention to saltify and make half the continent smell like a port, it was an accident, so stop beating yourself up over it.” Katibree chuckled.

“That just the thing though, I can’t brush it off for some reason…”

“Well you’re developing a conscious then…” The half drow said wryly. “Didn’t you used to total entire Kingdoms back in the day and walk away like oh well…?”

The redhead pulled away slightly and gave the ex-assassin a dirty look at this.

“Didn’t you…?” The older girl reiterated with a laugh.

“Well… yeah…” The smaller girl finally admitted with a roll of her ruby colored eyes.

“Then the only way to get rid of the guilt is to take responsibility for it.”

Lina merely blinked at the mostly platinum haired warrior a moment at this. “How is sending half the continent on a witch hunt for me going to help me feel less guilty?” She finally deadpanned.

“I’m not saying go haufaluting from city to city, Dragon Slaving them to get their attention and then scream: “It was me, the mother of all tidal waves was all courtesy of your local sorcery genius Lina Inverse!” “Or anything like that!” The half elf laughed.

“Then what exactly were you suggesting, Dear…?” The sorcery genius asked with a giggle.

“That after all of this is over and done with, you go home and help with renovations.” Katibree explained. “I’m sure there’s some spell you could come up with that would remove the salt from the soil and maybe speed up the rate that grapes grow at provided one hasn’t already been developed before you get there…” “Be the hero of the people and get the credit you deserve for once.”

The redhead was speechless. I-I just might do that…Besides I really haven’t seen Mom and Dad in a long time, it’s be nice to see what they’re up to…”Would… would you… come with me…?” She finally managed with a slight blush.

“If you think there’s anywhere that I wouldn’t follow you now… you really are crazy.” The mostly platinum haired warrior said with a grin. “It’d be an honor.” She added before giving the sorceress a kiss on the forehead.

“I never in a hundred years thought I’d be bringing a girl home to Mom and Dad, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.” Lina said with a giggle.

“That’s the spirit.” Katibree replied with a grin.

“But in order to even get to that bridge, I need to keep my girlfriend around to bring home.” The sorcery genius added while looking up at her once more and locking eyes with the older girl, all playfulness gone from her voice.

“There is that.” The half drow agreed with a small nod. “So what were you saying about Twinkle earlier during your panic attack rant…?” She asked while pushing some of the sorceress’ crimson locks away from her face and behind her ear.

“That was allot of information at one time huh…?” The redhead asked.

“A massive amount… I would have flipped out too if I’d tried to process it all at once, and most of the theories where unexplained or only partially explained so I had some trouble following.” The ex-assassin admitted.

“Alright, well earlier while I was fighting Filzinia, Rahtarimu showed up - -“ Lina began before being interrupted by Katibree.

“Hold it, hold it, why don’t we start with your original theory about Twinkle first?” The larger girl suggested.

“Ok, my original theory was based on the fact that there’s a weird aura emanating from her that I was never able to identify.” The sorcery genius began to explain. “I mean, just looking at the sword itself, it’s obvious that your parents abandoned you for a reason but they still cared about you.” “But at the same time, that’s a really weird thing to leave with a baby… so I figured that since she’s been around you since birth, you’re parents probably meant for Twinkle to be a ward of some kind. “And then I got to thinking, well what would the ward be for…?” “And then it hit me like a ton of bricks that if one of your parents is a corruption immune Drow elf, they knew that having a baby that was half and half didn’t guarantee that you’d be safe, so they had Twinkle specially made as a ward of some sort.”

“Ok, I follow that.”

“Alright so, I think that deal ties in with why Xellos is tailing us here…” The sorceress continued while detangling herself from the half elf and sitting up in bed while scratching the back of her head thoughtfully. “So did you want me to finish the Twinkle theory separately, or tie in the Xellos one…?”

“Go ahead and throw the Xellos theory into the mix if it’s going to loop back to Twinkle anyway.” The half drow said after a moment of thought while rolling onto her back and placing her hands behind her head.

“So, I was immediately suspicious when Xellos showed up the day after the astral incident just to ‘congratulate’ me.” The sorcery genius continued while shifting on the bed until she could lay back and put her head on the older girl’s stomach. “But I didn’t put 2 and 2 together right off the bat while Xellos was giving me all the information about your heritage because I was so damn embarrassed by the astral plane incident…”

“But after I really had a chance to think about it… Xellos really showed up that day to scout you, not give me a hard time…” “He was giving me the hard time to keep me distracted from figuring out the reason why he really showed up.”

(K) “Very sneaky.”

“That’s Xellos for ya…” Lina agreed. “So it finally dawned on me that Beastmaster probably sent him to scout you as a possible addition to their side.”

(K) “You think they want to recruit me…?” Katibree asked with her voice cracking to a slightly higher pitch.

“Yeah, hadn’t you figured that out yet…?”

“I honestly try not to think about things like this Red…”

“Yeah, I know you do…” The sorcery genius said with a sigh. “Anyway, it’s obvious that you’re becoming more powerful and gaining new abilities by the day, but you’re aren’t showing any signs of corruption.” “So I figure that Beastmaster came to the same conclusion that I did… something must be keeping Shabranigdo’s essence from affecting you if you are in fact tapping into it to use your powers.”

“And you think that thing is Twinkle, but Xellos doesn’t know about Twinkle even though he’s be following us trying to figure out what it is.” The mostly platinum haired warrior mused while playing with a lock of the sorceresses’ hair absently.

“Well, he might know now…” The redhead said quietly while turning to the side and sliding a hand underneath the half elf’s shirt, trailing her fingers over the lightly muscled stomach underneath in deep thought. “That actually brings us back to the battle from earlier today and the rest of my theory about Twinkle…”

“I follow everything so far, so go ahead and shoot.”

“Ok, but could you do that pressure point thing for me...?” The younger girl asked. “I tried to do it earlier and couldn’t figure how you did it and I’ve got a killer headache…”

“Sure thing.” Katibree replied while reaching over and applying pressure just above Lina’s eyebrows with her mid and forefingers.

“You’re a life saver babe…” Lina practically purred as the splitting headache began to fade almost instantly before getting back to business. “Alright, so back at the battle earlier today, like I said before… I was fighting Filzinia when Rahtarimu showed up and I was in a really tight spot.” “Up until that point I was trying to avoid using Twinkle just incase Xellos was watching the battle because he’d notice she was a new weapon and scrutinize her immediately…”

(K) “But things didn’t work out that way.” The mostly platinum haired warrior finished for her.

“That’s right, like I said before I was really in a jam and I was working on casting a silent launch Dragon Slave - -“

“Didn’t you tell me once that it was basically suicide to misfire a spell that powerful using that technique…?” The half drow interjected worriedly.

“Yeah, I did…” The redhead admitted quietly. “But, at the time I definitely had more confidence in my casting ability than I did in the belief that either Filzinia or Rahtarimu were going to just go easy on me because I was hard up…” She tried to explain apologetically.

“Yeah well, in the future… do me a favor and work as hard at keeping yourself around as you do at keeping me around or there’s really no point to it all.” The ex-assassin replied somewhat crossly.

“Point taken.” The younger girl said with a little smile. “You know, I honestly think you’re at your cutest when you’re mad…” She added with a giggle.

“Oh, cut it out already…” The mostly platinum haired warrior couldn’t help but laugh. “I’m serious though, no more tragic heroine bullshit.” She reiterated humorlessly.

“I know you are…” Lina replied more solemnly. “But back to the issue at hand… Rahtarimu charged me before I had a chance to complete the spell, so I drew Twinkle and chucked her at him to try and distract him for a few more seconds to give me the time I needed to fire off the spell…” She trailed off before continuing once more.

“And of course, the moron felt the need to stop and gloat about how regular weapons have no affect on pure Mazoku as if I didn’t already know that like I predicted he would and gave me the time I need to finish the silent launch…” Lina continued while twirling a finger disinterestedly.

(K) “Ever the tactician…” Katibree chuckled.

“You’d better believe it.” The redhead affirmed with a cocky smirk. “Who’s your sorcery genius…?!” She added with a swatting motion as the half elf broke into a fit of unchecked laughter.

“Oh… my… Gods!” The ex-assassin managed once she got her laughing under control. “Get a load of you…!”

“Hey, he was about to be my bitch one way or the other… both of them were.” The sorceress replied matter of factly. “Anyway, just as I went to fire off the spell… the hilt of Twinkle started to glow this bright whitish-blue color and Rahtarimu doubles over and just starts screaming bloody murder…”

(K) “What the hell…?” The half drow balked.

“That’s what I said, and when I looked closer you could see that where the blade came in contact with his stomach… the color of his ‘skin’ or whatever you want to call it was fading from an inky black color to like a transparent white color and spreading out from there…” Lina continued to explain while tracing a finger around the rim of the older girl’s bellybutton. “Either way, obviously there was a change of plans and I capitalized on the distraction and Sirius showed to help me out afterwards.”

(K) “So Twinkle was… absorbing Rahtarimu then…? The mostly platinum haired warrior asked slowly.

“Something like that… yeah…” The redhead said somewhat distractedly.

“What’s up?” Katibree asked.

“I think I just thought of a way to figure out just how worried we need to be…” The sorcery genius replied while sitting up and retrieving Twinkle from the dresser near the bed.

The ex-assassin merely observed the smaller girl wordlessly as she brought the sword over and unsheathed it.

“If our theory is correct, Twinkle is made to absorb unholy energy right…?”

“From what we’ve seen yes.”

“So we should be able to tell whether the powers that you’re using are innate abilities that you’re gaining just from being around magic or if you’re tapping into Shabranigdo’s essence to use them this way…”

“What way?” The larger girl asked unsurely.

“Charge her.” The sorceress said while holding out the sword to the ex-assassin. “If Twinkle holds the charge just fine, you’re in the clear… if she rejects it or starts glowing blue and absorbs it…” Lina explained before trailing off and leaving the last part gratefully unsaid.

“I’m… I’m not sure I want to know…” Katibree said while taking the weapon from the redhead and studying it.

“I’m not sure I want to know either Babe, but it’s a subject that we can’t ignore any longer and hope that it’ll just go away.” The sorcery genius said gently. “Either way, it’s better that we know now, than this possibly coming back and biting us in the ass later.”

“You’re right, as usual…” The older girl agreed with a sigh before holding the blade up somewhat unsteadily and talking a deep breath before closing her lavender colored eyes and finally charging it.

The blade lit up with a brilliant crimson that filled the entire dark room with a red glow.

(L) “Ok… she took the charge… but from what I can tell from the incident earlier today, she works gradually because there was a serious delay before she started to work on Rahtarimu; so we aren’t quite out of the woods yet…” The redhead mused while studying the various highlighted symbols on the blade as the half drow opened her eyes with a small sigh of relief. You know, now that I’m really thinking about it… those markings almost look…Dwarven…but that really doesn’t make any sense…

“Well at least she didn’t just flat out reject the energy.” The ex-assassin said while waiting apprehensively.

“…………..I’d say right about now is when she started glowing and absorbing Rahtarimu…” Lina said after what seemed like forever to both of them. “I’d still give it another good minute though just to sure…”

After another tense minute, the charge still held true and there was no blue glowing or absorbing to speak of as both girls let out a deep sigh and Katibree dispelled the charge on Twinkle is indescribable relief before re-sheathing the weapon.

(L) “Man is that a load of my mind!” The sorceress exclaimed while sprawling out on her stomach on the bed as the half elf returned Twinkle to her former position in the drawer next to the bed.

“Yours and mine both.” The mostly platinum haired warrior agreed while returning to the bed and straddling the smaller girl, beginning to kneed the tension out of her shoulders and being rewarded with a moan of approval from the sorceress.

“Oh Gods, Kat… I’ve missed all of this like we haven’t been alone together for a year instead of one week…” Lina said while virtually melting into the bed.

“It’s a good feeling.” Katibree agreed with a content but tired little smile on her face.

“…Are you gonna stay the night…?” The sorceress murmured sleepily. “I miss sleeping next to you.”

“It’ll take some finesse to get out of here unnoticed first thing in the morning, but I think I can definitely deal with that.” The half elf replied while leaning forward to work on the muscles between the redhead’s shoulder blades.

(K) “So now that we have that issue resolved for right now at least… is there anything else you wanted to go over…?” The ex-assassin asked after a long moment of no response from the younger girl. “Red…?” She called quietly.

The exhausted sorcery genius had fallen fast asleep.

Chapter 57

Getting Down To Business

Lina awoke early the next morning with a surprised gasp as her back began to arch reflexively. “What - - ah ooooooh….!” She began disorientedly before finally comprehending what was happening and hurriedly reaching for a pillow with a throaty moan and pressing it to her face as the unexpected but welcome sensation of her climaxing caused her to squeal loudly into it.

“…Oh Gods…..” The redhead finally breathed after taking a moment to gain her bearings before tossing the pillow aside as the feeling subsided while lifting her head slightly and glancing down at the reason for her unexpected wake up call. “…Well good morning to you too!” She finally laughed after getting over her shock.

“Right back at ya.” Katibree said with a grin before crawling up from her previous position to give the younger girl a quick kiss. “I’ve got to get going before the sun is fully up though.”

“You don’t want me to return the favor…?” The smaller girl asked with a lazy little smile.

“No time, I’m already pushing my luck of getting out of here undetected as it is.” The ex-assassin replied while getting up and heading to the window. “See you at breakfast in the royal conference room, Lover.” She added with a little wink before slipping out of the window and closing it behind her soundlessly as the younger girl dropped her head back down onto a pillow with a content sigh.

“Mmmmmm… coulda swore she just had that…” “The sorceress said while basking in the afterglow with a giggle and extravagant stretch while relishing the feel of the royal bed sheets and comforters that she was partially entwined in. I was actually planning to sleep in some this morning just because yesterday was such a disaster… but I’m wide awake now thanks to Kat…

And I’m hungry too…guess there’s nothing like jumpstarting your morning by waking up mid-orgasm to work up an appetite. The sorcery genius continued to herself wryly while finally managing to pry herself from the comfort of the luxurious bed to go about her morning routine. I don’t even remember falling asleep last night…I slept like the dead, and I feel great this morning, but I was really hoping to spend more time with her conscious…She thought while brushing out her hair.

“Guess it can’t be helped.” Lina said audibly around the toothbrush in her mouth while cracking the door to her room cautiously as she was currently devoid of pants although the nightshirt she was wearing was a decent length, and seeing that her sorceresses gear had been cleaned and repaired overnight and placed in a hamper nearby. I’d wonder if anyone overheard my little episode last night, but the fabric portions are still warm like it’s straight out of the dryer… and besides, these walls are even thicker than regular castle walls for security reasons…She continued to herself while wheeling the hamper in before retrieving her things from it.

After going about the task of brushing her teeth and taking a quick shower, the sorcery genius donned her gear before turning and giving herself a once over in the mirror with a flamboyant flip of her still slightly damp hair. “Lookin’ good Lina!” She complimented herself with a trademark Lina Inverse wink before turning to head for the door with flair of her cape. Time to get down to business.

The redhead briskly walked down the expansive corridors before faltering slightly as a pair of guards hesitated a moment before simultaneously saluting her as she passed. …What was that all about…? She wondered before quickening her pace once more, leaving the question for later contemplation… preferably on a full stomach.

A short time later, she made it to the doors of the conference room and was greeted by a cheerful as ever Amelia.

“Good morning Miss Lina, you sure are up bright and early!” The princess chirped.

“Yeah, I was actually planning on sleeping in some today… but I was wide awake this morning for some reason…” Lina explained while rubbing the back of her neck with a laugh and a slight blush. “I see you broke out the ol’ ‘warrior of justice’ outfit from old times for today.” She added while tapping one of the Seyruun Princess’s blue, star embedded tassels with a grin.

“Yeah, it’s pretty nostalgic huh?” Amelia agreed with a giggle. “I had to have some adjustments made to it because I’ve grown a little bit over the past two years though…”

“Yeah, I noticed…!” Lina laughed before trailing off as she suddenly remembered something. “Oh yeah, and what’s up with your guards going around saluting me all of a sudden Amelia?”

“…Well about that…” The princess began somewhat sheepishly. “After that whole fiasco with Mr. Shemlee yesterday, a group of guards came up to me about it as I was headed to bed…”

“Yeah…and….?” The redhead prodded suspiciously.

“…And they were basically confused about the policy as far as honored guests go, because normally even a person of that status wouldn’t have the authorization to override a captain’s authority like you did.” Amelia continued to explain. “So because of that, they were having trouble figuring out what to view you as, or how exactly you were supposed to be addressed and treated as apposed to other honored guests that we have visit here…”

“Go on Amelia, I’m still listening…” The sorcery genius prodded once more while folding her arms and lowering her eyelids.

“Uhm, well after thinking about it a second… I told them to just consider you as an honored guest who has the authority of a commander…” The princess finished with a nervous little laugh.

“The authority of a commander.” The sorceress deadpanned.

“I guess they sort of took it literally, huh?”

Sort of… I just had a lieutenant and captain of your elite guard salute me Amelia.”

“Is it really that big of a deal…?” Amelia asked with a sheepish look. “I mean, if anything major like a war were to happen, Daddy and I would probably end up sending a request for you to come and help anyway.” “And as good as you are with coming up with tactics and winning strategies, you’d probably end up commanding a unit or two as it is…”

“Regardless of that, isn’t it still pretty drastic to just go and appoint someone with that rank out of the blue like that?” Lina asked while rising a single crimson eyebrow. “I’m not even really affiliated with Seyruun in anyway technically.”

“Well, it’s not really an official rank or anything, but it’s not like Seyruun would be properly prepared to handle anything like a war on our own; we’ve always followed the practices of nonviolence whenever we can, so normally we just bring in people who specialize in what we need to be taken care of as it is.” The princess explained. That’s actually how we ended up with Mr. Shemlee as Captain of security now that I’m really thinking about it… He was brought in from Atlas City if I remember correctly…Neither Daddy or I ever particularly cared for the man, but he was good at what he did…

“……I guess it does make sense when you put it that way.” The sorcery genius mused while scratching the back of her head thoughtfully. “Have ya cleared this with Phil?”

“Oh, Daddy and I already had a discussion similar to this back when we were having issues with the Kingdom of Zoanna actually; even back then he was prepared to give you official ranking should a war break out to help with strategy and the like.” Granted Miss Lina took care of that issue all together by wiping out the entire kingdom with a Dragon Slave… (1.) The younger girl added to herself with a sweat-drop.

“Zoanna…” The redhead mused with a hand to her chin. “That’s right, that whole deal with the book of Zoanna!” “Hey, didn’t I - -?”

The Seyruun princess interrupted her with a nod and an even larger sweat-drop. “That’s the entire reason that Miss Martina was after your hide for so long, remember…?” She asked.

“Martina… that’s a name that I haven’t heard in quite awhile... wonder what her an Zangulas are up to these days - -?”

(?) “Why if it isn’t Miss Lina!” A booming, gruff sounding voice behind the sorcery genius exclaimed.

(L) And that’s a voice I haven’t heard in quite awhile…Lina thought to herself with a sweat-drop of her own. “…Heya, Phil!” She said after turning to greet the bear of a man as he approached.

“Hi, Daddy!” Amelia called while waving happily. “He just got back late last night…” She explained just before the startled sorceress was swooped up into an ‘overgrown dwarf’ hug.

(L) “It’s good to… see you too!” The redhead managed to squeak as she was crushed before being placed back on her feet.

(P) “I heard you caused quite the stir upon your arrival with your companions Miss Lina, but I suppose I shouldn’t have expected a quiet return whenever you’re concerned!” The burly prince (2.) laughed heartily.

“That’s the same thing Amelia said!” Lina replied while nursing her aching ribs with a chuckle as she spied a certain half elf heading their way as well. What’s that she has draped over her arm…? She wondered.

(P) “So who is this person that got the castle guards so riled up anyway Miss Lina?” Phil asked with interest.

“Actually here she comes right now…” The redhead replied while nodding in the ex-assassin’s direction, prompting the bear of a man to turn around. “Prince Philionel, meet Katibree, Katibree… Prince Philionel.” She introduced decidedly more cordially than usual once the two where face to face.

(K) “It’s an honor to finally meet you Prince Philionel El Di Seyruun, the Holy Kingdom of Seyruun is every bit as impressive as I’ve heard it is.” Katibree said with a deep bow.

(L) Jeez Kat, if ya lay it on any thicker we’ll all be slipping in it… The sorceress thought to herself while stifling a laugh.

(P) “Oh, hoo, hoo…such manners…!” Philionel exclaimed in genuine pleasure. “This truly is a great Kingdom, founded on the practices and beliefs of nonviolence and more importantly truth and justice!” He began as Amelia played cheerleader in the background and a certain sorcery genius covered her face in mortification.

“It greatly pleases me that you recognize the merits that this Kingdom has worked so hard to uphold!” The bear of a man added while giving the half drow a meaningful look that only she caught.

“Indeed your Highness, and it’s my every intention to honor and abide by the beliefs and practices of this great Kingdom as well.” The mostly platinum haired warrior replied with another cordial bow.

“…Excellent!” Phil bellowed approvingly after studying the ex-assassin a moment more before turning his attention back to the sorceresses once more. “Oh… and one more thing Miss Katibree…” He added while turning back to her.

“Your Highness?”

“You wouldn’t happen to be of relation to Mr. Zelgadis Greywords would you…?” Phil asked with a playful twinkle in his eye as the half elf face-faulted and the sorceress duo began to snicker.

(L) “You totally set that up with Phil last night didn’t you…?” The redhead asked the princess with a laugh.

“Guilty as charged!” Amelia admitted with a giggle as Katibree picked herself up off the ground with a resigned sigh.

(K) “Ha… ha…. ha.” The half elf said. “Laugh it up girls…” “And speaking of jokes Princess Seyruun, when I asked for a replacement cloak… this isn’t exactly what I had in mind…” She added while holding up a white cloak accented with intricate cerulean blue patterns along the seams with a sweat-drop.

“Oh that…” The Seyruun Princess said with a mischievous little smirk. “It’s my belief that any new and up and coming warrior of justice should get in the practice of wearing white…”

(P) “And if I remember correctly… you did just state that it was your full intention to honor and abide by the beliefs and practices of this Kingdom…” Philionel mused while placing a hand on his chin in mock thoughtfulness.

(L) “I think you’d look good in white, Kat…” Lina agreed while struggling to keep a straight face as Gourry and Sylphiel came strolling up while Katibree donned the gleaming white cloak with a quiet grumble.

(G) “Heya Phil!” Gourry said with a cheerful wave.

“It’s good to see you Mr. Gourry, and you too Miss Sylphiel!” The bear of a man exclaimed happily. “It joys me to see that you are both well!”

(S) “It’s good to you again too Prince Phil!” The once again raven haired girl said happily.

(G) “Nice cloak Katibree, I’d definitely say that white’s your color!” The swordsman savant teased while patting the half drow on the shoulder.

The mostly platinum haired warrior turned to the blonde warrior with a sweet smile at this “Dry up and die, Gabriev…” She replied pleasantly while returning the shoulder slap, triggering even more laughter from the others.

(A) ”Alright, now that we’re all here, shall we get down to business?” The Seyruun Princess asked with a giggle. “The cooks should be just about done setting the food out.”

(L) “Our favorite princess just said the magic word!” Lina agreed vigorously. “And what’s that magic word, Gourry…?” She added with a grin.

Food!” The blonde warrior exclaimed while pumping a fist in the air.

“Oh yeah!” The redhead affirmed while opening the door to the conference room before squealing happily as the aroma of royal breakfast cuisine wafted out to her. “Oh, dibs on the bacon wraps!” She added as she made a b-line for the table with the swordsman savant hot on her heels.

“Hey, you can’t just call dibs on all of them Lina!” Gourry complained as they began to eat before the others had even made it the entire way to the table.

“I can, and I just did!” Lina said around a mouthful of bacon wrap.

(P) “Those two haven’t changed a bit!” Prince Philionel said with a boisterous laugh as he seated himself at the table.

(A) “They really haven’t!” Amelia agreed as she took her own seat and began to pile various foods on her plate.

Katibree merely shook her head with a small smile before scooping some eggs onto her plate and handing the serving platter to Sylphiel afterwards.

Quite a while later, after the feeding frenzy had died down, Lina downed the rest of her juice and stood up with a serious expression on her face, placing both white gloved hands on the table. “Ok, time to get down to business.” She said before pausing to make sure that she had everyone’s attention… well….mostly everyone’s attention as she glanced over at Gourry who was still chowing down noisily with a small sweat-drop.

“Anyway, we’ve got ourselves in quite a pickle here gang…” The redhead continued as the swordsman savant looked up at the word ‘pickle’ before returning to eating. “And before we even get started here, Amelia and Phil…” She said while switching her ruby colored gaze to first one and then the other. “I want to stress the fact that we came here purely for the purpose of regrouping, and to warn you that the enemy may view either of you as viable targets to attack in an effort to lure me out.”

(L) “I understand fully that you two have a kingdom to run, and I in no way expect you to go actively jumping into my mess.” The sorcery genius clarified.

Philionel nodded affirmatively with a grunt at this, Amelia merely looked worried.

“Now that that’s out of the way, we’re on to pressing issues.” Lina continued while giving her hair a little flip over the shoulder before making eye contact with most of the gang, one after the other as she spoke. “The root of this issue began with… what I guess you could call an old grudge that a monster named Soshurn has with me.”

“Now normally this wouldn’t be an issue because Soshurn is only a mid level monster, but now he’s somehow found out a way to clone other Mazoku…” She continued as she removed her hands from the table and began to pace slowly back and forth along the length of it with her arms folded while looking up at the ceiling as four pairs of eyes varying in color followed her movements intently.

“And we’re not talking your typical lesser demon cannon fodder lackeys here either… we’re talking honest to goodness Mazoku mid-carders that are nearly as powerful as Soshurn himself.” The redhead explained before pausing for emphasis as the Seyruun Princess’s cerulean colored eyes began to widen in borderline horror.

“So far we’ve fought a total of 9 copies of the same three individual monsters… Zifolis, Filzinia, and Rahtarimu…” The sorcery genius continued while clasping her hands behind her head as she walked. “The last of the 3 being the designated moron of the bunch…” She added while shooting Sylphiel a grin and a little wink, causing the shrine maiden to begin to giggle.

“And out of those 9 copies that we’ve had to engage… 6 we were forced to take on yesterday…” Lina continued while stopping to gaze out a window as she spoke.

(A) “All at the same time??” Amelia couldn’t help but blurt.

“Well, the battle ultimately ended up splitting into 3 separate skirmishes… but they all basically started at the same time, yes.” Lina answered while turning to address the princess.

(S) “The monsters took advantage of us already being split up after our battle with a titan that was destroying a town and attacked us directly afterwards.” The raven haired girl added.

(A) “So you guys had two huge battles back to back then…” Amelia mused. “You all seem to like to fight even more now than you ever did before..” She teased.

(K) “Yeah, and right before you showed up, we were even spoiling for a rumble with your guards as well…” Katibree added wryly.

(A) “Looks like you guys just can’t get enough!” The princess giggled.

(L) “Yesterday was definitely a pretty rough day…” The redhead agreed while stifling a laugh. “But, back to the subject at hand… the first time we fought them in Stock Town there were only the 3 individual monsters…” “But yesterday Soshurn sent 6 after us instead….”

(K) “Well the way it’s starting to look to me simply because of the fact that we hadn’t heard anything from Soshurn at all up until a little over a week ago since the day he tucked tail and ran from us all those moths ago…” Katibree began while leaning back in her chair slightly. “…Is that he didn’t develop this technology or whatever it is that he is using to make the copies until just recently.”

(L) “Yeah, that would make sense…” The sorceress mused while leaning up against the wall next to the window that she’d just been looking out of. “He definitely would have used more monsters for the ambush on me if he’d had access to them just to try and guarantee a victory for himself.” Which also suggests that he’s working alone… which for the most part rules out the idea of Beast Master and Xellos working with him…Those two always cover their bases and would have sent in more of a force to try and finish the job if they were really trying to take me out because Zellas has finally decided that I’ve become too big of a threat…

(S) “So… if we were attacked by six more copies a week later, does that mean that’s how long it takes to make them…?” Sylphiel asked. “Basically a little over a day to create each one…?”

(L) “I think that’s a pretty solid theory to work with, Sylphiel.” Lina affirmed. “I mean, if Soshurn could have attacked us with 20 or even 30 copies yesterday, he would have done it.” “Especially considering he knows that I have back up now.” Gods… that’s like 24 Mazoku copies a month if he has the resources to make them consistently… She added to herself with a little frown.

(K) It looks like Red just did the math too… The ex-assassin thought to herself while taking the sorceress’s silence as her cue to speak. “There’s another thing to take into consideration as well…” She said while clasping her hands behind her head with a sigh. “Zifolis, who seems to me to basically be the leader of the trio, has been cloned 4 times…” “A clone showed up in Stock Town that we had to deal with… and then yesterday, there were originally two Zifolis clones at the start of the fight, but after one was killed, a third clone that had been preparing a sneak attack in the astral plane took it’s place immediately afterwards.”

(S) “That’s right, and Rahtarimu has only been cloned 3 times…” The shrine maiden piped up.

(L) “Which leaves Filzinia, who’s only been cloned 2 times to our knowledge.” The sorcery genius finished as she shoved off from the wall she’d been leaning on with a shoulder and began slowly pacing again while in thought as Amelia, Katibree, Phil and Sylphiel looked on expectantly.

“Now from what I can tell, aside from being smarter than the other two, Zifolis is just your average run of the mill mid level monster.” Lina began once more after a short moment of silence as she thought. “He really doesn’t have that impressive of an arsenal as far as energy attacks go, he primarily relies of melee when he fights.” “I’m willing to bet that the copy that was waiting to ambush Kat and I in the astral plane had to charge the attack he unleashed on us for a pretty long time to get the resulting explosion to even begin to have the kick that it did.”

(K) “If you put it that way, that may have been the reason that he didn’t start out with the other two at the beginning of the battle to begin with…” The half drow mused.

“That’s true, but they already had Filzinia as backup in the firepower department…” The redhead replied. “But then again, Filzinia didn’t have the element of surprise like the third Zifolis did… either way, right now that’s all pretty much a moot point.”

“Moving on to Rahtarimu… he may be a retard, but I’d definitely have to say that he’s stronger than Zifolis, although not by much.” The sorceress continued while stopping a moment near the end of the table before beginning to slowly pace once more. “As far as slipping in and out of the astral plane and using his energy goes, he’s got a pretty good handle on it.” “A better one than Zifolis does anyway…”

“Which leads me to Filzinia, who looks the closest to human out of the bunch…” Lina continued with a small frown. “Just because of that fact, it automatically leads me to believe that she’s the most powerful out of the 3, because as a general rule, the more powerful the monster, the more human they can make themselves look when they materialize in this realm…” “She doesn’t seem to be all that great at astral plane tag, but she can gather a huge amount of energy in a very short time which is why she’s been designated the firepower back up so far.” “And on top of that she’s got manipulating her form pretty much down as well.”

(P) “So are you suggesting that these creatures of darkness take more or less time to create depending on how strong they are then Miss Lina?” Prince Philionel asked.

“It’s starting to look that way, yes.” The sorceress replied while pouring herself another glass of juice.

(S) “So…. What now…?” Sylphiel asked tentatively.

“Well considering what we’re dealing with here…” The sorcery genius mused while sipping at her juice. “Because of the fact that monsters normally reside in the astral plane, which is basically the spiritual realm… while taking into consideration the fact that Mazoku that are powerful enough can make minions for themselves naturally , but not the same exact minion over and over again…” “I’d say that in order to clone anything, Soshurn would have to have set up some type of connections here in the material world considering that there’s no way to build any gadgets or anything of the like in a totally spirit world with no solid materials to speak of…”

(A) “So you think that this Mazoku is in cahoots with some person making these copies for him here in our dimension then Miss Lina?” Amelia asked while leaning forward in her chair in interest.

“He’d basically have to be considering the fact that monsters have to rely on their own abilities for whatever they do directly or be injured or die depending on what they’re relying on to help them…” “Lina replied. “Hell Master Phibrizzo even told me once that even if he were capable of casting the Giga Slave himself, he’d be dead before he was even halfway through the incantation because Mazoku thrive on confidence.” (3.) “Calling on the power of the Lord of Nightmares would pretty much be admitting that he wasn’t strong enough to do the task required on his own which is basically suicide to a monster.” The sorcery genius explained with a quiet sigh.

“Either way, now that I’m really thinking about it… all of this comes down to research on immortality all over again…” Lina deducted with a little smirk. Halcyform would have been ecstatic.” (4.)

(S) “What do you mean by that Miss Lina…?” Sylphiel asked.

“Heh, we’ve all come to the conclusion that since monsters reside in the spirit realm, when they materialize here, they basically just count as high density ghosts right…? The redhead asked.

Everyone nodded in affirmation, other than a certain swordsman savant who was currently napping.

“So that pretty much means that Mazoku are just powerful, high density souls technically right…?” The sorcery genius prodded.

(A) “…And that was exactly Mr. Halycyform’s problem…!” Amelia exclaimed suddenly. “He’d figured out a way to bring the body of Miss Rubia back to life, but couldn’t find a way to bring back her soul!”

“Bingo Amelia.” Lina affirmed with a nod. “So that means that all we have to do is do our homework and make a list of all the people researching that line of business, and then weed our possible suspects out or get a lead in order to just cut to the chase and shut Soshurn’s entire operation down altogether.”

(S) “Where would we even begin to look for places like that Miss Lina…?” The raven haired girl asked.

“Well Seyruun’s got places that do research on that type of thing… don’t they Phil?” Lina asked.

“Seyruun certainly has research teams, but not for anything as controversial as that…” Phil mused. “The largest most influential one studies new ways to meld technology and magic… the team was originally assembled shortly after the outer barrier disappeared, but grew very quickly afterwards.”

“Ok, well that team may not specifically be involved in cloning or immortality research, but chances are we’ll be able to get some type of information there, and maybe even a lead or two.” The redhead deducted. “So where are they set up?”

(A) “…I believe they’re located across from the Collaborative Seyruun Library actually.” Amelia replied after a moment of thought.

“Alright then, that’s where we’ll need to head to.” The sorceress said while walking over to a still snoring Gourry as everyone else stood from the table. “Come on Gourry, didn’t ya get enough sleep last night?” She asked while shaking him by the shoulders.

“Wha… is it time for desert…?” The swordsman asked while blinking awake.

“Actually it’s time to do some footwork, but we can grab something on the way if you want.” Lina replied with a little stretch.

“Oh Ok, so where are we going Lina?” The blonde swordsman asked while standing.

“Seyruun’s top research facility.” The redhead answered while heading for the door as everyone followed behind her. “Even if what they’re studying has nothing to do with what we’re trying to look into, they’re still researchers… which means that they most likely have peers that are into it, or know of people who are.”

“Uh… Ok…” Gourry replied hesitantly.

“You didn’t follow any of that did you…?” The sorceress asked with lowered eyelids.

“…Not a word!” The swordsman savant admitted while rubbing the back of his neck with a laugh.

“That figures…” Lina said while stifling a laugh of her own. “Never mind then… when we get there, just stand by me and try and act like you know what we’re talking about… you know the drill.”

“That I do follow!” The blonde warrior affirmed with a grin. “Standby to poke things with my point stick if needed right?”

“You’ve got it!” The sorcery genius agreed with a grin as she made her way out of the castle before turning to say goodbye to Amelia and Phil.

(L) “Depending on what we find out when we go and talk to the research team, we may end up just hitting the road immediately afterwards considering we’re dealing with quite the time crunch here.” The redhead began while rustling her crimson colored mane slightly. “So I guess it’s be better to say bye now just incase…” She explained with a little laugh.

(A)”Wait Miss Lina!” Amelia suddenly said before turning to her father. “Daddy, I want to go with them.”

“But daughter, Miss Lina already explained that this is an extremely dangerous situation and that she doesn’t expect either of us to become actively involved…”

“I….I know, but Miss Lina has always been there for us, and I want to be there for her too.” The princess explained.

“I see… I do suppose that it would only be just…” Phil mused with a worried expression on his face. “…Alright then, come here and give your father a hug!” He finally conceded as the Seyruun Princess leapt into his arms. At least she won’t be facing some Dark Lord this time…

“Oh thank you Daddy!” Amelia squealed happily.

“You be careful out there daughter!”

“Ok… I will!” The Seyruun Princess chirped before practically skipping over to join the rest of the gang.

(L) “Relax Amelia, it’s not like we’re going on a fieldtrip or something …” Lina said with a chuckle. “It’s good ta have ya though!”

(G) “Yeah, welcome back Amelia!” Gourry agreed heartily.

(S) “Welcome back to the team, Miss Amelia!”

(K) “I’ve never adventured with royalty before…” Katibree began with a grin. “But either way it’s good to have you onboard Princess Seyruun.”

“Hee hee, on the road I’m just one of the gang…so you really don’t need to be so formal anymore Miss Katibree, Amelia’s just fine!”

“Sorry about that, force of habit…” The half elf laughed. “I’ll try and work on it.”

“It’s alright…” Amelia replied. “It’s just good to getaway sometimes you know…?”

“I think I just might.” The half drow answered with a little smile. “Allot of responsibility huh?”

“Yeah, it really is…” The Seyruun princess replied with a sigh. “Anyway, shall we get going?”

(L) “That sounds like a plan Amelia… so on to victory…?” Lina asked the team with a wink and a victory sign.

“On to victory!” Everyone exclaimed back in unison with assorted fists in the air.

The sorcery genius flashed a dazzling smile at this. “You know it, lets go set em up and knock em down!”

With that, the crew made their way to the research facility with yet another much missed ally at their side.

Authors Notes:

(1.) The incident with Lina basically vaporizing the Kingdom of Zoanna with a Dragon Slave took place in Slayers NEXT.

(2.) Although Pilionel goes by the title of 'Prince', he's technically King of Seyruun. He just won't answer to the title because he refuses to beleive that the true King that disappeared and never returned will never come back.

(3.) This conversation that Lina had with Hell Master Phabrizzo didn't actually take place in the anime, it was information I got from a manga or novel... forgot which one.

(4.) The gang (Katibree and Phil excluded) met up with Halcyform The White who was conducting experiments to try and bring his dead wife back to life in Slayers NEXT.

 

Chapter 58

Lettin' Off Some Steam

(L) “Hellooooo… anyone here…?” Lina called after opening up a metal reinforced door and peering into a fairly uninspiringly decorated corridor before entering with the gang behind her.

Moments later a tall attractive redhead in a lab coat exited a room down the hall with a clipboard and made her way to them. “Welcome to World Wide Energies (1.) where we research new and improved ways to combine magic with technology, my name is Professor Helmsly… is there something I can assist you with today?” She inquired pleasantly.

“…Yeah, there is actually.” The shorter redhead began after sizing the woman up a moment more and placing a hand on her hip. “Now I know that this isn’t really all that related to the field you guys deal with around here, but we’ve come to see what you guys would be able to tell us about cloning and immortality research.”

“My… that is a very controversial line of research…” The woman began, obviously immediately uneasy with the subjects. “Practically any scientist or mage that even shows too great of an interest in it is eventually shunned by the rest of their peers… Research of the sort simply isn’t even allowed in most places.”

“Well shunned or not, you’re all still peers.” The sorcery genius said. “Do you know of anyone who may still currently be into it and or where they might be…? We need to get some more detailed information on it in order to find and shutdown an illegal operation that’s been going on involving that type of stuff.”

“Oh my stars, that truly awful…” The professor said with a hand to her mouth. “Well… I can give you some basic information…” She finally mused.

“Go ahead and shoot.” The sorceress said while folding her arms.

“Well, the entire premise of cloning itself is completely and totally possible; all that would be needed is a bit of skin or… even hair from the being that is to be copied.” The woman began to explain with a hand on her chin. “The main kink that scientist are running into is the immortality part… When a being is cloned, a brand new soul is developed right along with the rest of the body, where as true immortality would be placing an old soul in a new healthy body.”

“So… souls can’t be cloned separately then…?” Lina asked.

“Theoretically they can, but the problem with that is extracting the actual soul that’s to be cloned…” The tall redhead continued to explain. “With the current techniques available, it’s never been documented that even a small portion of a soul can be extracted without causing serious trauma to the subject or downright killing them which is why the research is banned in most places to begin with, and even if there were a way around that, there would still be the issue of the getting the old soul back into the new body occupied by the new soul… I apologize but that’s about the extent of my knowledge as far as that goes.” She finally finished.

Bingo. Lina thought to herself grimly. “Thanks Professor Helmsly, you’ve been a great help, but I have just one more question…”

“Err…yes… Miss Inverse…?” The woman inquired decidedly more meekly than when they’d first met.

Guess it took her a second, but it finally dawned on her just exactly who I am. The redhead thought to herself with more than a little satisfaction. “Where would an illegal operation like this most likely have the chance of going unnoticed or unhindered, and does a name come to your mind as to who may be involved in something like it…?”

“Let’s see….” The woman mused. “Well for shady operations going unhindered I’d definitely say ‘The Gauntlet…”

I thought she might say that…

“But… there’s no known facility there… and on top of that, you’re after scientists, not thugs, bandits, and thieves… I really don’t see a researcher willingly running an operation out of there - - Oh, there’s New Zoanna!” She suddenly blurted. “The workings there are definitely less crooked since it was destroyed and rebuilt a few years ago, and the Kingdom is significantly smaller now, but the new Queen and King will turn a blind eye to just about anything as long as it’s not causing trouble for them directly from what I’ve heard… I’ve also heard the law there is to worship a Dark Lord that’s never even been heard of, and after that you can pretty much do whatever you want…” (2.) She mused more to herself than anyone else.

“That definitely sounds like Martina and Zangulas…!” Lina agreed with a laugh.

“Pardon me…?” The taller redhead inquired.

“Oh nothing!” The sorceress replied with a smirk and a dismissive gesture. “So no names come to mind for you then…?”

“….I’m sorry, but no Miss Inverse.” The professor reiterated apologetically.

“…No biggie, I think that’s a pretty decent led for now.” Lina finally replied before turning to leave, prompting the group to follow suit. “Looks like we get to pay ‘Queen’ Martina a visit after all Amelia.”

“Mum hum, it’ll be good to see what she’s up to after all this time.” The Seyruun princess agreed as they all exited, letting the metal door close behind them with a BOOM as Professor Helmsly sighed with relief.

“Being around someone that powerful is just nerve wracking… and those eyes, they really are the color the legends say, I’m just glad the laboratory is still in one piece…” The woman said to herself while wiping her brow somewhat unsteadily before turning to go about continuing the task she was in the middle of before the team arrived.

(K) “So it’s clear that we need to head to the Kingdom of Zoanna now, but the question is… How exactly are we planning to get there…?” Katibree asked as the gang left the grounds of the research facility and inevitably gravitated in the direction of the food court area for ‘dessert’.

Oh yeah… I hadn’t actually thought about that part yet…The redhead thought to herself somewhat sheepishly. It’s not like we’ve got Sirius on call to just whisk us there too…“Well isn’t it obvious…?” She stalled while walking up to a stand and beginning to pick out various fruits from it while tossing some into Gourry arms as well. “We go by horseback of course.”

“Horseback huh?” The half elf asked with a grin.

“Yeah why not?” The sorceress answered before tossing some coin on the merchant’s counter and biting into an apple. “Amelia’s got the resources to set us up with mounts to use, and since we’re dealing with a time crunch… it’d definitely be faster than walking. And besides, the way I figure it… there’s really no need to go incognito anymore; if Soshurn gets impatient and decides to send a couple more clones at us on the way there, that’s less that we’ll have to deal with later.”

(A) “Miss Lina, you always seem to have a plan at the ready ahead of time!” Amelia said cheerfully as Sylphiel praised her as well, nodding vigorously as the younger shrine maiden turned to a passing town guard to get his attention.

(K) “Indeed.” The ex-assassin agreed while stifling a little laugh as she observed the sweat-dropping sorcery genius as she and the swordsman savant nosily ate their dessert.

(L) “…What?” Lina finally balked around a mouthful of banana after the half elf had stared long enough.

“Oh… nothing.” The older girl answered with a careless little shrug before turning to converse with Sylphiel until Amelia was through speaking with the town guard.

(A) “Ok, we’re all set!” The Seyruun princess chirped a few moments later. “The mounts will be brought here in just a few moments… Should we get provisions for the trip do you think Miss Lina?”

“Well…” The sorceress began before adjusting her armload of food before scratching her head in thought. “We could, but it’s going to be a fairly short trip on horseback… I think we’d do alright just foraging honestly.” And putting a certain o-so-smug half drow to work as well… Amelia eats nearly as much as Gourry and I do when she’s hungry enough. She added to herself with a satisfied little smirk.

“That works for me!” The princess replied sunnily. “Miss Sylphiel told me that Miss Katibree normally cooks for everyone on the road and that it’s always really good, so I’ve been kind of curious to try it actually…”

“It really is, she even managed to make bear meat taste good at one point even though normally it’s so greasy and gross.” The redhead mused. “I guess part of the reason is the fact that she picks her own spices and dries them herself when she comes across them to season whatever she happens to be cooking at the time.”

Just then, a few guards and a stable boy came walking up with 4 horses. “My apologizes your highness…” A guard began as he and the others behind him bowed deeply. “But we were only able to acquire 4 steeds as a very large group of soldiers have gone out to scout the area for potential threats and a mandatory amount of spare mounts are required should there be an emergency that needs them.”

(A) That’s right, I nearly forgot about that situation with Kingdom Sonnas awhile back… we still don’t know where they stand as far as intentions go… Amelia thought to herself. And I already know that Miss Lina will be too cheap to just buy a horse, and there aren’t any places that I know of to rent one here for more than a few hours at a time… “Well, I guess one of us could just double up - -“

Sylphiel turned from her conversation with Katibree and piped up at this immediately. “Oh, I could double up with Gourry Dear… That is… if he doesn’t mind at all…” She added shyly.

(L) Can’t say I didn’t see that one coming a mile away. Lina deadpanned mentally. Oh well, it’s not like I wouldn’t get more than one strange look if I said: “Oh no that’s ok, Kat and I’ll do it!” It’d definitely be nice to not need an excuse to get so close to her for once, but Sylphiel riding with Gourry is definitely the least complicated option here. “So what do ya say big guy…?” She turned to ask while slapping a shoulder guard to get the attention of the still oblivious swordsman savant that was working on polishing off the last of his food.

“What do I say to what?” The blonde swordsman asked while licking his fingers.

“We’re a horse short, so Sylphiel here came up with the idea of riding with you.” The redhead explained with a shrug.

“Huh…?” The master swordsman asked with a blink before glancing over at the mounts. “Oh yeah sure, you can ride with me Sylphiel.” He finally agreed pleasantly.

The shrine maiden merely nodded in affirmation at this before averting her jade colored eyes with a slight blush.

Lina merely rolled her own ruby colored eyes at this. Jeez Sylphiel, how are ya ever gonna work up the courage to try and ask him out if you get this shy just thinking about sharing a horse with him…? She thought with a sigh as she stored the rest of her ‘desert’ in a travel pack for later consumption. Oh well… I guess I really don’t have much room to talk, I was pretty shy at one time too and even now I still have my moments. “Alright, let’s find a mount and saddle up gang! We’ve got people to see, bandits to kill along the way, and monsters to make wish they were never cloned!” She exclaimed after securing her pack and flipping herself up onto the head steed’s saddle.

(G) “Oh yeah!” Gourry exclaimed while slinging himself into his own saddle before helping Sylphiel up into it.

(A) “For Justice!” Amelia cheered while getting on her own steed.

(S) “Let’s do it Miss Lina!” The shrine maiden agreed as she situated herself behind the swordsman daintily.

(K) “Now that’s what I’m talking about!” Katibree affirmed with a slap to her weapons before jettisoning herself into her own saddle as well in a fluid motion, not even bothering with the stirrups. Finally some more action, I’ve been itching to take another crack at these fuckers!

With this, the party rode off toward the boarders of Seyruun and uncertainty ready for the world.

Several hours later just after dusk…

(S) “Aiiieeeee…!” Sylphiel exclaimed as a multitude of undead creatures began to pull themselves out of the ground around the party while groaning in that way that the undead tend to. “Zombies… I… I can’t stand zombies…!”

(L) “This is it…?” Lina asked dejectedly. “I’ve been looking for a fight all day long and there’s only like… 50 of them…”

(K) “Pretty disappointing…” Katibree agreed while hopping down from her mount with a sigh before faltering and looking over at the blonde warrior with a growing smile.

(G) “I’ll say…” Gourry replied while kicking out absently at an approaching ghoul and dislodging it’s head from it’s body before jumping down from his own horse while getting an idea and looking over at the mostly platinum hair warrior with a grin of his own.

(A) “I guess this area is cursed land or something…” Amelia said quietly.

(L) “Yeah, well you or Sylphiel can try and purify it or whatever once we get rid of these nuisances if you want to.” The redhead replied before turning to a group of zombies nearing her with a bored expression on her face while holding out a hand as her palm began to glow an orange color. “Burst - - “She began to chant before being interrupted by Katibree.

“Hold it Red, what’s the fun in doing it that way…?” The half elf asked with a smirk. “Why don’t we make this competitive and do melee only?”

(G) “Yeah, and the person with the most zombie kills at the end wins!” The swordsman savant explained excitedly.

“Melee only huh…?” The sorcery genius mulled while casting a disinterested and fairly weak Bom Di Wind at the still approaching group of undead in front of her to clear them, sending them (and parts of them) flying. “…Ok, I’m up for that!” She decided with a grin.

(A)“Count me in too!” The Seyruun Princess exclaimed while finally jumping down from her own horse after having casted a Calming spell on all the horses to keep them from spooking. “I may not have weapons, but I can still use my fists!

(L) “That’s right, you’ve got that spell that basically turns your fists into enchanted weapons right?” Lina asked. “Alright, so let’s make enchanted weapons count, but if anyone uses any ranged attacks… even if it’s on accident in self defense, the amount of undead that you killed with the attack is deducted from your score…”

(K) “Do my slicers count?” The ex-assassin inquired.

“Are you asking if they count as a ‘ranged attack’ when you ‘throw’ them…?” Lina asked wryly.

“Hah, ha… weak…” Katibree conceded with a laugh. “Alright I’ve got you.” She added while charging her blades and cutting down a skeleton that was reaching for her.

(L) “Alright, so the largest bulk of our ‘points’ is really closing in now… so let’s do this… 1…. 2……… 3…………………..GO!” The sorcery genius exclaimed while springing into action herself with her weapons drawn as Gourry, Katibree, and Amelia ran off in their respective directions on GO as well.

The mostly platinum haired warrior flashed forward with a wicked grin towards the closest cluster of undead, cutting down individual zombies as she went. As soon as she reached the center of the targeted group she began to whirl with her arms outstretched, cutting down creature after creature as her attacks picked up speed and zombie gore and parts began to fly in every direction. “Four, five, six-seven-eight…!” She counted as she cut a skeleton in two before following the attack through and angling it upwards to viciously behead a zombie clawing at her next to it.

(S) “They’re really going to town out there…” Sylphiel mused after finishing her holy circle around the steeds to repel any nearby undead.

Nearby Lina and Gourry were having their own fun. The swordsman savant took a step toward 3 approaching undead and merely swung diagonally with his 2 handed sword, cutting through all of them effortlessly. “…….three!” He deducted triumphantly before turning and hacking down two more with a combo swing. “Uh….” He faltered with a hand on his chin while absently cutting down another zombie with a one handed swing of Gorunova as he thought.

(L) “Six!” Lina called helpfully before cutting down a few more rotting corpses of her own. Three, four-five… She counted to herself before charging her short sword and Twinkle with a modified fire based spell.

“Thanks Lina…!” The blonde warrior called back cheerfully before merely stopping to gawk at the sorceress.

What the master swordsman beheld was a thing of beauty as the redhead spun and whirled, chaining fluid attack after fluid attack together, the flames engulfing her blades leaving tracers in the darkening night.

“Whoa… Lina wasn’t kidding when she said she’s been training…” Gourry practically whispered as Amelia came up along side him.

“Where’d Miss Lina learn to fight like that?” The Seyruun princess asked in surprise as the flaming blades drew the rest of the remaining undead like a beacon.

“Well the style of fighting isn’t as polished…” The swordsman savant mused while glancing over to a certain half drow that was inevitably gravitating in the direction with the promise of the most fighting. “But I definitely recognize the form...” He added with a little smirk.

Soon enough the half elf had made her way into the middle of the fray and began fighting side by side with the sorcery genius. Both sets of glowing blades flashing brilliantly in the darkness, whizzing by and in between one another seamlessly with little or no wasted actions between the two of them.

After watching the display a moment more in awe, Amelia spoke once more. “You think that Miss Katibree taught Miss Lina how to fight too Mr. Gourry?”

“Definitely, I can’t believe how much she’d improved!” The blonde warrior replied with a grin.

“Well I supose we shouldn’t be all that surprised I guess…” The princess said as she continued to watch the spectacle.

“Why do you say that?” Gourry asked, unable to take his eyes off of the display himself.

“If you really think about it, Miss Lina has been trained to some extent by 3 master swordsmen now.” The Seyruun princess explained.

“Three master swordsman…?” The master swordsman asked.

“That’s right, Miss Lina was trained by Miss Luna when she was younger, and you’ve given Miss Lina a lesson or two yourself… right Mr. Gourry?” Amelia asked.

“Yeah, I guess I have…” the swordsman savant laughed.

“Then Miss Katibree giving her lessons would be master swordsman number three.” The cerulean eyed princess deducted almost absently while continuing to watch the two girls finish off the last of the zombies. When Miss Katibree goes high, Miss Lina goes low and vice versa, and one attack just flows right into another because of the spinning way they’re fighting so they’re constantly in motion…It’s almost like…It’s almost like they’re dancing…She mused as Lina swung high and Katibree swung low on the last remaining zombie, beheading it as well as cutting it’s feet out from under it simultaneously, before both slid to a halt, holding their stances as the waltz of death was brought to an end.

As the headless, footless corpse hit the ground both girls looked at each other from their combat stances.

(K) “What did that last one count as…?” Katibree asked from her battle crouch.

“I don’t know… I guess who could just count it as a half point…” Lina replied from her stance as a cool breeze rustled the manes of both girls as well as their cloak and cape.

Just then Sylphiel came riding up along side Amelia and Gourry. “That was one heck of a fight… and it ended so quickly…” She began before faltering as she watched the two’s behavior from a distance. “Are… are they going to fight each other now…?” She asked unsurely.

(G) “I don’t think they’ve decided yet.” The swordsman savant replied lightly before finally noticing that Gorunova had been energized this entire time and turning it off.

(K) “That cannon fodder didn’t last to long.” The ex-assassin mused while sizing the younger girl up from her stance with a smirk.

“Yeah, didn’t even break a sweat…” The redhead agreed with a grin of her own. “You wanna do the actual work out now that we’re done with the warm up…?”

The mostly platinum haired warrior broke into an all out grin at this, but it soon faded at she merely sighed instead. “Better not, it’ll just get me all hot and bothered for nothing…”She finally said while breaking her combat stance and standing while holding out Murakami.

Lina dropped her stance with a sigh of her own before rising Twinkle and tapping her against Murakami in a sign of cheers before the duo simultaneously uncharged and sheathed their weapons. “It’s not like we haven’t had to put up with enough frustration as it is already…”

(G) “I guess they decided not to spar after all…” Gourry said with a stretch.

(A) “Yeah…” Amelia agreed somewhat crestfallenly. “I was kind of looking forward to it too…”

“As much as Katibree loves to fight, I’m sure you’ll get your chance!” The swordsman savant laughed. But, I wonder why she hasn’t accepted my challenge yet…?

“I guess you’re right Mr. Gourry!” The princess said. “I was just really looking forward to it because; if they look that amazing just fighting undead… it must really look like they’re dancing when they fight each other…” She added somewhat dreamily.

(S) “It’d definitely be something worth seeing…” Sylphiel agreed quietly.

“Definitely!” Gourry agreed as the duo returned from their undead blender impression covered in various unmentionable substances…

(L) “Heya guys, what did ya get?” Lina asked cheerfully.

(G) “Uh… six I think…?”

(K) “Only six….?” Katibree asked in genuine surprise.

(A) “Yeah well I only got two, so Mr. Gourry did better than me at least…” Amelia said sheepishly. “I killed one, but when I tried to punch the second one… my fist got stuck in its chest and… I got really grossed out…”

The redhead couldn’t help but laugh at this. “What about you Sylphiel… did you get any…?”

“Um… I have a score of negative one actually.” The shrine maiden replied shyly.

(K) “How’d you manage that Nels Rada?” The ex-assassin asked while stifling a laugh.

“Well I…. put up a circle of protection around myself and the horses to ward off the undead… and one of the zombies got too close to the ward and incinerated itself….” The raven haired girl explained.

(L) “That’s too priceless!” Lina giggled.

(G) “Well what about you two…?” Gourry asked. “You guys looked so amazing out there that everyone just sort of stopped and watched you…” He added with a slight blush.

(A)” Yeah, it was like you were dancing out there…” The princess said dreamily. If not for all the zombie parts flying I almost would have said that it looked… romantic…but that’s just silly… isn’t it - -

“World calling Amelia…” Lina called coyly while waving a hand in front of the day / night dreaming Seyruun princess’s face. “Oh…! So yeah, what’s the damage Miss Lina and Katibree…?” She finally asked while rubbing her neck and blushing in embarrassment at the fact that Lina had caught her spacing out about such strange thoughts.

(L) “Oh my score… I got 18 altogether…. Well… 18 ½ I guess…” The sorcery genius mused while rustling her crimson colored mane slightly. “What about you Kat?”

“26 ½ I believe, it got pretty frantic toward the end there though… zombies were dropping like flies…” The half drow replied before picking what could have been… a decaying ear out of her mostly platinum colored mane with a small grimace.

(L) “Yeah they were….” The redhead agreed with a grin. “54 undead nuisances in like 5 minutes… not too shabby!”

(K) “Well… it’s not as if they were much competition…” The ex-assassin replied while studying some nearby remains of one of the slain creatures. “It wouldn’t have been much different if they’d just stood in a neat little line and waited their turn to be slaughtered.”

“That’s true…” The sorceress agreed with a little yawn. “So you two want to go ahead and get the purification ritual stated?” She asked the shrine maiden duo.

“You’ve got it Miss Lina!” / “Ooooo-kay!” Amelia and Sylphiel replied simultaneously.

Author's Notes:

1. Yep... couldn't help myself. Anyone who knows me, understands the entire deal with the initials W.W.E.

2. The Dark Lord spoken of here is a monster made up by Martina herself known as The Monsterous Zelmogustar.

 

Chapter 59

The Kingdom of Zoanna

(K) “So this is the ‘Kingdom’ of Zoanna, huh?” Katibree asked with a single mostly platinum colored eyebrow raised as the group rode into town with Lina in the lead as usual.

(L) “Yeah, I just want to know where Martina gets off decreeing a city is a Kingdom…” Lina replied as she took in her surroundings. “This ‘Kingdom’ is barely even bigger than one city in Zephilia…”

(A) “It is a bit misleading isn’t it Miss Lina…?” Amelia agreed with a sweat-drop.

“A bit is quite the understatement Amelia.” The redhead deadpanned.

(S) “Well… it seems like a nice enough place.” Sylphiel said.

(G) “Yeah, I don’t see what the big deal is… For all I care, they can call this place whatever they want as long as there’s good food here.” Gourry agreed.

“Whatever…” The sorcery genius conceded with a shrug before hopping down off of her horse and tying it up in front of a restaurant as the others followed suit. “Either way, I say we get some food in our stomachs before we pay ‘Queen’ Martina a visit and try and get some information.”

(K) “I’m going to do some quick shopping before I join you all.” The ex-assassin said while tying her horse up next to Lina’s.

The sorceress gave her a questioning glance at this. Something’s definitely off here…

“I’m low on ointment to cure my blades and I just want to run and grab some real quick.” The half elf explained.

(G) “Oh, ok… hey Kat, can you pick me up some too?” Gourry called over his shoulder as he and the shrine maidens headed inside.

“Sure thing Gabriev.” The mostly platinum haired warrior called back.

What’s going on…?” Lina whispered.

We’re being tailed by someone, and whoever they are… they’re pretty good and appear to be human…” Katibree whispered back. “I just want to take care of this quickly and quietly, I don’t want the Princess have to see me just brutally kill another human being.”

I can understand that.” The redhead replied.

Just then Amelia poked her head out of the restaurant. “Miss Lina, are you going shopping too?” She called.

“Nah, I was just telling Kat what I need her to pick up for me too!” The sorcery genius called back. “Just be careful ok…?” She added to the half elf before jogging up the steps to the eatery.

“I’ll be back in no time!” The larger girl called back before turning to leave.

(A) “You were whispering just now…” The Seyruun princess said as the two of them walked.

“Yeah I was…” Lina admitted somewhat uneasily.

“It must be because you need Miss Katibree to get something embarrassing for you huh?” The younger girl asked coyly.

The redhead merely rubbed the back of her neck while laughing at this. “Something like that, yeah.”

But why would Miss Katibree need to be careful buying pads…? The Seyruun princess wondered to herself. Well, I guess this is potentially a really dangerous city with that weird worship the Monstrous Zelmogustar law…

Outside, Katibree walked a considerable distance from the restaurant before turning into an alley and flipping back the hood of her cloak, merely standing there with her arms folded. “It seems you’re a little shy, so I figured that maybe you’d quit playing hide and seek if there were less people around.” She called to the shadow.

“Very perceptive.” A cultured, male tenor voice replied wryly as a black hooded figure stepped out from behind some crates. “And might you be Master Assassin Katibree Do’Urden?”

“So you’re here for me specifically then.” The mostly platinum haired warrior deducted. He’s got a sword, but he’s a caster too, I can feel him from here… this is going to be fun.

The description is right, although the white cloak threw me off for quite a while… The man mused to himself. “I’ll have to ask you to come quietly with me or I’ll have no choice but to take you by force.”

“Well, I’m not the type to just go with strangers quietly… so you already have your answer in regards to that.” The ex-assassin replied while tilting her head to the side slightly with a little smirk.

Huh… she’s cocky, she said that without even unfolding her arms to unsheathe her weapons…The cloaked figure mused while sizing his target up. “Very well, but I have to warn you now… I won’t be holding back.” He replied while unsheathing his broadsword.

“You just said my favorite words…” Katibree replied while breaking into a dazzling smile. “Come on.” She added with her lavender colored eyes flashing dangerously. Double edged sword…Interesting.

“As you wish…!” The man exclaimed, leveling his sword and running forward.

The half drow side stepped the first attack in surprise before ducking another and unsheathing her blades to block a downward cleave. “Your allot faster than I expected!” She said before pushing off and after imaging behind him.

Where’d she…?! “Urgh…!” The man grunted as he spun around to block the attack before beginning to stagger backwards as he parried an assault of chaining and spinning attack that began to pick up in speed. At this rate all I’ll be able to do is defend…!

Soon enough Katibree saw a good enough opening, she struck with a spinning slash across the cloaked figure’s mid section, but instead of disemboweling him, she heard scrick! That’s not right… She thought in bemusement as she broke off her flurry of attacks and back flipped away from the man to regroup. “Wearing armor under your cloak… that’s just cheating!” She complained while examining Chiba for chips.

“Sorry to disappoint you.” The man said while taking his right hand off of the broadsword’s hilt. I’m not going to get the better of her in a swordfight, that’s blatantly obvious now… Oh well, I guess it can’t be helped. The contractor did say dead or alive… He thought as he held out a black gloved palm. “Firrrrrrre…”

He’s figures he’s got me in an enclosed area, so there’s no where to run… The ex-assassin thought to herself while producing a dagger from underneath her cloak. Good strategy if you’re fighting someone who’s not already used to fighting with casters.

Baaaall!” The man exclaimed as a massive ball of fire shot from his palm.

Katibree merely smiled and flung the dagger at the fireball with a barely noticeable flick of her wrist. Fireballs detonate on impact, but not necessarily with what they were originally meant to impact with.

Back at the restaurant…

(A) “Miss Katibree sure has been gone quite a while now - -“ KRA-KOOW!!

The entire gang minus Lina jumped up from their table as a massive explosion shook the area, blowing out the windows of the establishment.

(A) “Wh…what was that??” Amelia exclaimed.

(S) “Oh, dear!” Sylphiel exclaimed.

(G) “That was a big explosion!” Gourry said while peering out of a busted window, spying plumes of black smoke in the distance.

“That would be a Fireball. Great… the shadow’s a caster…” Lina said with a hand over her face. “Mine as well go check it out…” She said resignedly before anyone else insisted they do it.

As the group came running up and pushed their way through a crowd of people, a black cloaked figure came staggering out of an alley on fire with Katibree following behind him while charging her blades. “Let’s see how Chiba and Murakami work on that armor of yours now…” She said while twirling them casually.

(A) “What’s going on?” Amelia asked. “….Miss Katibree…?!” She exclaimed in confusion as the cloaked figure ripped of his burning cloak with a growl.

(?) “Astral Vine!” He exclaimed angrily in response to the half elf’s now glowing slicers, causing his own sword to glow red as well.

(L) “Astral - - Zelgadis??” Lina balked as the recognition of the spell and the voice of the user caused her to do a double take.

(A) “M-Mr, Zelgadis??” Amelia exclaimed in confusion. “What are you doing in Zoanna?”

(G) “Heya, Zel!” Gourry called happily. “Long time no see!”

(S) “Mr. Zelgadis?” Sylphiel asked in shock.

(Z) “I’ll be with you guys in a moment.” Zelgadis seethed while striding toward the half drow methodically.

(K) “Greywords…..?” The ex-assassin balked. “I – I don’t look like you at all!” She finally said, her voice cracking to a slightly higher pitch.

“What are you talking about?” Zelgadis asked while talking a fighting stance with his broad sword resting over his outstretched forearm. “Don’t start spouting nonsense now after your impressive display before… prepare yourself.”

“….As you wish.” The mostly platinum haired warrior agreed while placing one foot in front of the other.

“Flaaaaaaare - -!”

(L) “Hold it, hold it, hold it!” The redhead exclaimed while walking up to the heartless mystical swordsman as Gourry sunk to the ground with blue lines and plumes hovering over his head.

“Gourry Dear, what is the matter…?” Sylphiel asked worriedly.

“………….Everyone’s gotten a chance to fight Katibree that wants to except for me….!” The swordsman savant complained.

(L) “Let me guess, that big contract you got from the anonymous source that Amelia was telling me about, was a hit on Kat.” The sorcery genius deducted.

“That’s correct.” The chimera replied, having never taken his eyes off of the half elf.

“Well as you can see, she's kinda part of the team now…” The sorceress said with a sweat-drop. “Don’t you think that kind of… oh I don’t know…. voids the contract Zel…?” She asked sarcastically.

“A contract is a contract Lina, it's not my problem if it inconviences you or anyone else for that matter.” Zelgadis replied while still locking eyes with Katibree.

Yup…same old Zelgadis…“Ok, how much is the contact paying you?” Lina asked.

“150 grand.” The mystical swordsman replied.

“Alright, well is 150 grand enough to take both of us on at the same time…?” The redhead asked while folding her arms.

This got the chimera’s attention and he lowered his weapon slightly, but remained silent.

“Because that’s basically what’s going to happen Zel…” The sorceress continued. “I’m going to sit here and watch this stupid fight, and then I’m going to get pissed off and beat your ass just out of principle for you going through with this hit to begin with once you realized the entire scope of the situation!”

“Alright, well then let me ask you this…” Zelgadis replied coolly. “Would you just give up a deal like this?”

“I would if I could have the money and just be done with it.” The sorcery genius replied, not skipping a beat.

“………..You’re willing to pay off the rest of my contract… just so that I don’t kill her?” The heartless mystical swordsman asked slowly.

“Ok course not Zel, you know me better than that!” Lina laughed while patting him on the shoulder. “I’d be paying you to help me instead!”

“And you’re telling me that you have 150,000 gold just… lying around and collecting dust.” The chimera deadpanned.

“You know I horde gold Zel… and besides I just cashed in on a huge bounty a while back.” The redhead replied while clasping her hands behind her head. “And besides that…” She added coyly. “Your old employer already paid you a quarter of that 150 grand just to look for Kat… And that means that if you take this offer you’ll technically be making 25 more than if you somehow managed to follow the old contract through.”

I… didn’t know she knew about that part… Zelgadis thought to himself with a sweat-drop while sizing up Katibree once more. And the newest addition to the team is pretty cute… “Whatever.” He finally said while lowering the sword the rest of the way and dispelling the Astral Vine enchantment as the half drow deenergized her blades as well. “I’ll hear you out Lina, but I’ll make no guarantees.”

“That’s the spirit Zel!” The sorcery genius exclaimed while slapping him on the back. “Come on, we can discus it over lunch!” She added with a wince while shaking her hand. Almost forgot that Zel’s skin has actual rocks embedded in it (1.)…that really stung! She thought sheepishly.

With this the ex-assassin sheathed her blades with a little smile. “It’s good to finally have a chance to meet you Zelgadis Greywords.” She said before flipping the hood of her cloak back up and turning to follow Lina, Gourry, and Sylphiel.

“Uh….” Was all that the chimera managed before he was nearly bowled over by Amelia.

“Welcome back to the team Mr. Zelgadis!” The Seyruun princess exclaimed while hugging his waist tightly.

“H-hey… I-I haven’t agreed to anything yet…!” Zelgadis blurted while blushing slightly.

“Oh I know… I’m just happy to see you!”

“C-come on Amelia… it’s really hard to walk like this…” The mystical swordsman complained halfheartedly.

“Mmmmmmmm!” Was the princess’s only bubbly response.

From high above a clock tower, Xellos looked on with a smirk. “Exactly as I figured it would happen… Katibree being around two people with the shamanistic prowess of Amelia and now Zelgadis Greywords should do wonders for her newly developing powers… I may be out of a bit of gold, but Mazoku have no real use for it anyway.” He continued wistfully. Either way, it shall be interesting to see how things unfold now!

Some time after the feeding frenzy had died down and Lina’s explanation of the situation had come to an end…

(Z) “So basically everything you’ve just said boils down to the fact that… you’ve gone and gotten yourself caught up in some more stupid trouble again, and you need all the help you can get this time.” Zelgadis mused with a hand on his stone embedded chin. “It’d probably be less of a hassle to just finish off my old contract and be done with it.” He added while glancing over at Katibree who was giving him a ‘bring it on’ gesture.

(L) “Stop antagonizing Zel, Kat… And come on Zel, don’t make it sound so bad!” The redhead replied cheerfully. “We’ll only be fighting a potentially endless army of Mazoku mid carders after all…” She added wryly.

“Hum, well I still say that the situations you always manage to get yourself into are completely absurd… but then again…” The chimera mused as Amelia stifled an anticipatory squeal of excitement.

“I always have been the type who’s always looking for a thrill.” The heartless mystical swordsman said while tilting his chair back with a sigh. “Count me in Lina.” He added with a smirk.

(L) “Good ta have ya onboard Zel!”

(A) “Welcome back Mr. Zelgadis!”

(G) “ZzzzzzzzzZZZZzzZzZZZzzZzzzzzzz………”

(K) “It’s a pleasure to be working with you Greywords.”

“Likewise Do’Urden.” The mystical swordsman replied wryly.

(S) “It’s so wonderful to have brother and sister finally reunited after all this time!” Sylphiel said happily.

(Z) “Brother and sister?” Zelgadis asked in confusion as Katibree merely covered her face with a hand and Lina and Amelia began to snicker quietly. “What are you talking about Sylphiel…?”

“Uhm well… it’s just that you and Miss Katibree look so similar that we all have a theory that you two are brother and sister separated at birth…”

“Separated at birth?” The mystical swordsman balked. “Don’t be preposterous, and besides we look nothing like.”

(A)”That’s what Miss Katibree said too…” Amelia giggled.

“What’s that got to do with anything?” The chimera retorted defensively.

(L) “I think Amelia was just trying to point out the fact that you two have similar personalities as well.” Lina explained with a grin. “You two also have the same interests; did ya know that Kat’s an artist and musician too…?”

“….!” The mystical swordsman was at a loss for words as he looked first at the redhead and then at a certain mostly platinum haired warrior who was currently still covering her face. “….Regardless of what our interests are, it’s just rash and stupid to assume something that off the wall out of the blue like that!”

(L) “He said ‘blue’…” The sorcery genius giggled.

“Hey, now that was just - -“

(S) “So when are you two going to do your first brother sister duet?” The shrine maiden interjected.

“B-brother sister duet - -?!”

(G) “Yeah, and shouldn’t you hug her or something considering you haven’t seen her in so long…?” Gourry woke up enough to tease. “You two even wear the same style of cloak you’re so alike.”

“Now look -- !” / “Now see here --!” Zelgadis and Katibree both stood abruptly and slammed their hands on the table with twin stress-marks to blurt simultaneously before turning to look at each other with a sweat-drop as the rest of the party broke into uproarious laughter.

Both blue warriors merely sunk back into their chairs with a defeated sigh and slumped in their chair as the gang began to laugh all that much harder.

After the laughter had died down to just a few pained gasps at the vigorous exercise of abdominal muscles and stifled giggles subsided, the ex-assassin took the time to speak. “All joking and jovialities aside, the clock is still ticking.” She said before taking a sip of wine. “What do you think our next move should be Red?”

Zelgadis did a double take at Katibree before turning his attention back to Lina and began to study her more closely at the use of the unfamiliar nickname. I guess it does suit her...

“Well, from what professor Helmsly said back at the research lab… Martina and Zangulas probably don’t pay attention to too terribly much that goes on in their…. ‘Kingdom’…” She began while making little quotation marks around the word kingdom with two fingers on either hand. “So we can go and visit them and ask a question or two, but they probably aren’t going to be of much help. Chances are we’re going to have to split up into teams and just manually comb the city.”

(S) “Oh, I can pair up with Gourry Dear!” Sylphiel piped up inevitably.

“And I’ll partner with Mr. Zelgadis to tour - - err… search the city!” A certain shrine maiden counterpart chirped just as inevitably while blushing slightly.

“Well that leaves me with Kat… and that’s fine and everything, but you guys are kind of jumping the gun here…” The redhead said with mock disinterest. “We’re going to Zoanna castle together right?” The sorcery genius added while standing from the table and tossing a sizable amount of coin on it for the sizable meal they’d all just eaten.

(Z) Lina actually paid for a meal without batting an eye…? That was definitely unexpected…Zelgadis thought to himself while standing from the table as well while everyone got ready to leave. She really hasn’t changed much appearance wise… well I think her hair might be a little longer and a little brighter if that’s even possible but… there’s definitely something different about her that I can’t quite put a finger on - -

“Hey Zel!” Lina called, snapping Zelgadis out of his thoughts.

“What’s up Red?” The chimera called back, testing out the new nickname with amusement.

“You’re doubling up with Amelia on her horse ok?” The sorceress explained while hurriedly getting on her horse as her face began to turn a vivid red. And he said it just like Kat says it too! She thought while sending a certain half drow a flustered look.

“Sure thing.” The mystical swordsman replied while pulling himself up and behind a blushing Amelia. What was that all about…? Is the nickname embarrassing for her or something…? Oh well, I guess I’ll ask her later… either way it’s still eating at me what’s changed about her…He continued as they rode in the direction of Zoanna castle. “Wait a second…! Lina, do you even know where Zoanna castle is?”

“Eh, heh… not a clue actually.” Lina admitted with a laugh while rubbing the back of her neck as a good portion of her companions nearly face-faulted from their mounts. “I guess I just kinda figured we’d ride around and take in the sites until we happened upon it…”

(Z) I guess she really hasn’t changed that much after all…Zelgadis thought while clawing his way up to an upright position once more on the horse. But there’s still something nagging me… “Hey Amelia?”

“Yes, Mr. Zelgadis…?” The Seyruun princess asked somewhat distractedly at the occasional feel of the chimera’s chest pressing against her back as the horse trotted.

“What’s the deal with Lina’s new nickname? She’s never gone by it before.”

“Oh, ‘Red’?” Amelia asked. “It’s a nickname Miss Katibree gave Miss Lina awhile back.”

“The assassin…?” Zelgadis asked in surprise while giving the half elf another once over. “She seems pretty serious to just go around frivolously assigning people nicknames like that…”

“Miss Katibree’s actually not in that line of work anymore, and she’s really nice once you get to know her.” The princess explained. “She just really secretive and aloof so it takes her awhile to lighten up to and get used to people at first… sounds like someone else I know actually…” She added teasingly.

“Don’t start Amelia… We are not related in anyway.” The mystical swordsman growled causing the Seyruun princess to giggle.

“So are you any closer to finding your cure Mr. Zelgadis?” The cerulean eyed girl asked more solemnly once she’d gotten the giggles out of her system.

Zelgadis sighed quietly at this. “Not at all… I’m beginning to think I’ll be stuck with this hideous body forever.”

“I… I don’t think it’s hideous…” Amelia said quietly.

“Yeah, you’ve always said that…” The chimera replied gloomily. I’m sick of everyone feeling like they need to pity me or lie to try and make me ‘feel better’…

And every time I’ve said it… I’ve always meant it, but you never seem to understand that…The princess thought to herself with a sad little smile on her face before actively leaning back and forcing the mystical swordsman to support her weight with his chest while still holding the reigns.

“A-Amelia… what are you doing…?” Zelgadis asked while flushing slightly.

“I got tired of sitting up straight.” Amelia replied simply.

“Uh…. If you say so…” The chimera replied unsurely, his blush deepening all the more as he felt Amelia’s back settle all the more against his chest as the princess sighed in contentment.

(S) “Gourry Dear…?” Sylphiel asked tentatively while riding with her arms around the swordsman savant’s waist as the group made their way through the strange city.

“Yeah Sylphiel?” Gourry asked lightly.

“Where… where do you see yourself in 5 years…?”

As Gourry pondered that question as they passed by two people greeting each other. “Hail Zelmogustar.” The man said pleasantly while holding out a Zelmogustar emblem.

“Hail The Monstrous Zelmogustar!” The woman replied cheerfully while touching her Zelmogustar emblem to his in greeting.

(G) “I don’t know, fighting bad guys with Lina I guess.” The blonde swordsman finally answered cheerfully.

“Have you ever thought that sometime down the way… you may meet someone else and want to… maybe travel with them instead…?” The shrine maiden tried once more.

Gourry put a hand on his chin at this. “Well… I really wouldn’t see a reason why we couldn’t all just travel together then… I mean, that’s what we’re all doing right now right?” He deducted.

“Yeah… I guess it is…” The raven haired girl conceded crestfallenly.

(L) Nice try Syl…Lina thought to herself while glancing back at first, Gourry and Sylphiel, then Amelia and Zelgadis, and then finally at Katibree on her own separate horse. “It’s not fair…” She turned back around and whispered with crocodile tears in her ruby colored eyes. The first chance I get I’m going to ‘accidentally’ Fireball one of these stupid horses…Look how happy they look… I wanna feel happy too ya know? She continued to brood to herself before a mansion suddenly caught her eye. “I think we’ve found our ‘castle’ folks.” She said as everyone brought their mounts to a halt.

(K) “Well, at least it’s more impressive than their supposed ‘Kingdom’.” Katibree said while making a mental note of the general layout of the place out of force of habit.

“That’s for sure…” The redhead agreed while scratching the back of her head in thought. “Oh well, lets go see if her and his ‘highness’ are home.” She said before spurring her horse forward and up the cobble stoned path.

As soon as they found a place to tie up their horses, the sorcery genius made a b-line for the front door of the mansion ‘forgetting’ to secure her horse as well along with the others.

Just as she was about to shout something, Katibree came jogging up. “Hold up Red.” She called.

“What’s up Kat…?” Lina inquired.

“Well like I’ve said in the past, your voice is pretty distinctive…” The ex-assassin explained with a smirk. “Just based on what you did to Zoanna the last time you visited, she may not answer the door at all if she hears you shouting out here.”

“Oh yeah, that’s a good point!” The redhead said with a laugh as Zelgadis and the others made their way up to the entrance of the mansion as well.

(Z) “Hey Lina, you forgot to tie up your horse so I went ahead and got it for you.”

“Oh had I, thanks Zel!” The sorcery genius replied in mock gratefulness with a stress-mark before turning while gritting her teeth and knocking on the door loudly.

“Yeah, don’t mention it.” That thank you almost sounded sarcastic for some reason…it’s probably just me just being paranoid as usual…

(M) “Coming…!” Martina shouted after a long moment accompanied with the sound of heeled shoes clacking down the stairs. Soon enough the door cracked open and there stood the green haired vixen.

(L) “Heya Martina, long time no see!” Lina exclaimed.

The princess of Zoanna turned blue in the face at this and promptly slammed the door shut, the sound of a latch clicking was heard directly afterwards.

“She slammed the door in my face and locked me out….!” The redhead exclaimed indignantly.

(Z) “Well what’d you expect after you totaled her Kingdom the way you did all those years ago?’ Zelgadis asked.

“That’s besides the point! This is no way to treat an old comrade!” The sorcery genius shouted for the Zoanna queen’s benefit.

(A) ‘Uhm, how exactly is something like that besides the point…?” Amelia asked with a sweat-drop.

“Because it was in the past! “Kat, this door is protected against the unlock spell and the lock’s really complicated… go ahead and do the honors.”

“No problem.” The ex-assassin said with a nod before pulling a small lock pick out from under her tongue and getting to work.

(M) “It won’t be in the past if you do it again!” Martina shouted from behind the door. “Go away Lina Inverse, you’re a plague to humanity!”

“A plague to humanity - - Look who’s talking ya curse giving, amazingly obnoxious, skanky dressing, holier than thou wanna be queenofdarkness!” Lina retorted through the door while gesturing angrily.

“How dare you talk to the Queen of New Zoanna like that!”

Who’s a Queen?!”

(Z) “Oh, this is real mature.” The mystical swordsman said while turning his back to the charade with his arms folded as the two bickered back and forth.

(K) “This probably isn’t the best way to get information out of her Red.” Katibree agreed while she worked on the lock.

“Oh trust me, once this door is open I’m gonna beat it outta her…!”

“Just keep your cool Red, if you end up losing it and blasting the door open with a Fireball, this’ll be a complete waste of time.” The mostly platinum haired warrior replied quietly. “Relax, I’ve almost got it unlocked.”

The fiery redhead merely took a deep breath and rustled her mane in agitation before letting it out slowly. “K…I’m good.” She said with a sigh.

“Good.” The half drow replied with a little smirk. Such a hothead…if she hadn’t gotten laid just recently… I have a feeling this entire mansion would be in flames right about now.

(Z) Well… it’s blatantly obvious that she’s a redhead… but Lina got really flustered when I called her by her new nickname… Did Katibree name her ‘Red’ because of her temper then…?I mean she totally just talked Lina down out of a frenzy just now without even having to physically restrain her, and I’ve never seen that done by anyone before… Zelgadis mused to himself while glancing over his shoulder at the exchange with his back still turned to the group. Hey, maybe that’s what different about her now… it’s not by much, but she is more laid back now, more mellow I guess I’d describe it… I wonder why…?

(S) “Is this… really ethical…?” Sylphiel asked while watching the half elf deftly pick the lock with a sweat-drop.

(A) “I guess even Miss Katibree isn’t brave enough to tell Miss Lina no…” The Seyruun princess said quietly with a shrug and a sweat-drop of her own.

Just then the door was unlocked with a click!, and the moment Katibree moved from in front of it, Lina yanked it open.

(M) “H-how’d you - -!” Martina balked in horror.

(Za) “Did I just hear the door Dear?” Zangulas called from somewhere up stairs.

(L) “Heya Zangulas!” Lina called switching from seething to cheerful at the drop of a hat in that bi-polar way she always did. “Thanks for inviting us in!”

(Za) “Hey that sounds like Lina, is Gourry here?”

That figures… Yep he’s standing right here too!” The redhead replied.

(G) “Hey Zangulas, you up for a match??” Gourry called.

“I thought you’d never ask! Come in, come in and make yourselves at home!” The black haired swordsman said while vaulting all the way from the railing at the top of the stairs to the floors with a smirk.

(L) “Thanks… and I see you’re still wearing that stupid hat after all these years…” The sorcery genius teased.

“Hey, this hat never goes out of style.” Zangulas replied while fastening his sword to his belt.

“Zangulas, that hat was never in style to begin with.” Lina deadpanned.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah…” The black haired master swordsman laughed. “Come on Gourry, we’ve got some business to take care of.”

“Oh yeah... hey, you coming Zel?” The swordsman savant asked.

“Wasn’t the entire purpose of us coming here for infor - - “ The chimera began for cutting himself off with a sigh. I guess it doesn’t require this many people to talk to Martina… we probably won’t get any useful info out of her anyway as it is… “Sure, why not.” I need to blow off some steam after that horse ride anyway…Amelia’s getting pretty bold as she gets older…

(G) “How about you Kat…?” The blonde warrior asked hopefully.

(Z) “From what I’ve seen today, it’d be better to have Katibree stay behind as damage control.” Zelgadis said almost teasingly. “She seems to have some kind of calming affect on Lina.” He added while watching the redhead begin to blush slightly with amusement.

(K) “Yeah, I think the blue ears have some sort of mystical calming affect…” The mostly platinum haired warrior joked back, giving the hoop earring in her left ear a little flick. “Yours just don’t work because they aren’t as pointy as mine.”

“I guess not!” Zelgadis replied with a genuine laugh.

(A) Mr. Zelgadis is actually laughing! Amelia thought to herself happily. I think this new adventure may be exactly what he needs...

(L) “Would ya just leave already?!” Lina exclaimed while trying her best to keep her embarrassment in check.

(K) “Go ahead guys, it’s fine… I’ll just rumble with you later or something.” Katibree said good-naturedly.

(G) “But she always says that…” Gourry practically whined as the boys turned to leave.

(Za) “Is she pretty good then?”

(G) “Amazing.”

(Z) “Oh yeah.” If I’d been a normal human being while I was fighting her back in that alley, I wouldn’t be here right now most likely… This monstrous body saves me once again. The chimera thought to himself wryly.

With that the guys went out to play and the girls stayed behind to chat.

Authors Notes:

(1.) For those of you that don’t already know, Zelgadis was tricked by Rezo The Red priest and turned into a chimera. He’s now one third human, one third demon, and one third rock golem. We learn this in the first season of Slayers.

 

Chapter 60

Protégée

(L) “It’s been a long time Martina.” Lina said while folding her arms with a smirk. There’s not even a servant or maid in sight, it figures they’d use all their money on a place like this and not think to put some aside for some type of personnel… it must really suck to keep this place clean…

“That’s Queen Martina to you… you overbearing commoner!” The green haired vixen said, still obviously spoiling for a fight.

“You can’t tell me you actually believe that…” The sorcery genius said with a little flip of her hair. “Anyone who knows who I am, knows I’m anything but common.”

The nerve! Martina fumed. “The only thing extraordinary about you is the fact that even after all these years … you’re still as flat as a washboard!” She finished coyly with a hand to the side of her mouth as Sylphiel and Amelia visibly cringed and began to back away. “So what do you say to that, Lina Inverse?!” She added triumphantly before beginning to laugh manically.

“Yeah, they definitely aren’t the biggest knockers in the world… but I work with what I have Ok…” The redhead replied with a wistful little smile and shrug, causing the green haired vixen’s laughing to cut off abruptly as the shrine maiden duo as well as her collective jaws hit the floor and Katibree merely grinned.

(M) But… but…I was ready for the Fireball…I need the pain just to know I really got under her skin… she always reacts violently, and the more I got to her, the more it hurt…what…what…Martina stammered to herself in disbelief.

(S) “……..Miss Lina…” Sylphiel began unsurely. “Are you Ok…?”

“I feel fine, why do ya ask Sylphiel?” The sorceress turned to answer with a carefree grin. Maybe I should just roast her on principle so they’ll get over it already…

(A) Now I think I understand what’s different about Miss Lina… She really has completely gotten over her sensitivity about the size of her breasts…Amelia finally realized in disbelief. I wonder how she got over that complex all of the sudden…Mr. Gourry constantly gave her grief about it and so does anyone else she’s ever met for the most part…

(M) “L-Lina, what… what happened to you…?” The green haired vixen asked in boarder line distress.

“Hum….?” Lina asked while rubbing the back of her neck. “I don’t know… I guess I just kind of grew up or something… mentally at least!” She added with a laugh. “Either way it was a good effort Martina…. Fireball.”

“Aeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee!” Martina shrieked, suddenly engulfed in flames before dropping to the ground in a smoking heap. “Now that’s… more like…. It…” She managed with crocodile tears in her eyes.

(K) It’s almost like the people around Lina thrive on her abuse…Katibree thought to herself with a sweat-drop.

“So moving on to other things…” The redhead began with a small sweat-drop of her own. “I actually came here today to ask you a couple of questions.”

“Questions…?” Martina asked while picking herself up from the floor and brushing off the soot she was now covered in.

“That’s right, do you know of any mysterious labs that have sprung up in the city with people researching shady stuff within the past few months…?”

“Labs doing shady research…” The green haired vixen mused.

“Yeah have you noticed anything strange going on?” The sorcery genius reiterated.

“………I have absolutely no idea!” Martina finally replied triumphantly to face-faults all around.

(L) “I knew this was just gonna be a big waste of time…” Lina groaned haggardly.

(A) “You really have no idea what’s going on in your kingdom Miss Martina…?” Amelia asked in disbelief.

“Why should I? All will be well as long as I pray to my Monstrous Zelmogustar!” The green haired vixen proclaimed with a flair of her cape as she pointed at a large Zelmogustar headpiece mounted on the wall.

Katibree merely rolled her lavender colored eyes at this as she picked herself off the floor. “I think we’re about done here Lina.”

“Couldn’t agree with you more Kat.” The redhead replied as she began heading to the door.

(M) “Oh and by the way, I’ve met princess Amelia before, but who are the other two?” Martina inquired.

“Oh, this here is Sylphiel and she’s Katibree.” The sorceress turned back to explain.

“Hum… Miss Katibree… I see that you have blue skin… are you by chance - -?” Martina faltered as the half drow merely growled and walked out the door in mid sentence. “How terribly rude… are you the one who taught her manners Lina Inverse…?” I was just going to ask what type of elf she is because I’ve never heard of a race of elves with blue skin before…

“Nope, Kat’s normally pretty cordial actually… she just gets that allot and it’s a pretty sore spot with her.” The sorcery genius explained with a giggle. “Anyway we’ve gotta run Martina, maybe we’ll see you around!” She added as the shrine maiden duo waved good bye as well.

“Feel free to stop by and visit whenever you want as long as you promise not to destroy my Kingdom again Lina!” The green haired vixen called.

“I’ll think about it Martina!” Lina called just before the door shut.

(S) “So where did the guys go to spar do you think…?” Sylphiel asked.

(K) “Based on what I’ve seen of the layout, the training grounds are most likely out back.” The ex-assassin said as the girls made their way back to the horses.

(A) “Looks like it’s time to tell them that playtime’s over.” Amelia said cheerfully as Lina walked up to her horse and made a cut-throat gesture at it, moving her thumb across her neck and causing the mount to sweat-drop. “You’ve just officially been designated emergency rations buddy!” She hissed to it before saddling up on her now trembling mount.

Once they’d made their way to where the guys were training on several large boulders in and around a stream, jumping from rock to rock and exchanging attacks with one another, the shrine maidens gasped and blushed while they watched as all 3 warriors were currently training with their shirts off.

(A)”Mr. Zelgadis…” Amelia breathed with a hand over her mouth.

(S) “Oh… Gourry Dear…!” Sylphiel gasped with her hands pressed to either side of her face as the sweat on the swordsmen glistened in the sunlight while they fought. The sound of metal striking metal ringing out and carrying clearly around the training grounds area.

(L) “Oh brother…” Lina said while looking back at the two with a roll of her ruby colored eyes before turning her attention back to the fight.

(K) “Hey, that Zangulas is pretty good.” Katibree said approvingly as she rode up along side Lina.

“Yeah he’s obnoxious, but he’s definitely a swordsman to be reckoned with.” The redhead admitted quietly. “Anyway… playtimes over boys! Outta the pool!” She added loudly.

(G) “Already??” Gourry stopped fighting to balk.

(Za) “You should know by now never to let your guard down around me Gourry!” Zangulas exclaimed while jump kicking the swordsman savant.

“Ahhhhhhhhh!” The swordsman savant shouted as he was projected from the boulder he was just standing on and into the river with a SPLASH!

(Z) “Alright, alright…” Zelgadis conceded while hopping down off his own boulder and kneeling at the edge of the stream to slash some water on his face. After realizing that this was Katibree’s first time seeing him without a shirt on, he hurriedly got dressed. At least she didn’t look too terribly disgusted… He brooded to himself self-consciously as Zangulas laughed at a soaking wet Gourry sputtering and crawling out of the stream in the background.

After the gang and said their goodbyes to Zangulas and made their way off of the grounds and back to the road, they all stopped to collaborate.

(L) “Alright, so like we already established earlier… We’ll be splitting up into groups of two to search the city for clues.” Lina explained while pointing to the appointed duos as she spoke. “So Gourry and Sylphiel, I want you two to do me a favor and check the east side for anything shady looking.”

(G) “Roger that!” Gourry replied cheerfully.

(S) “I understand.” Sylphiel answered with a dutiful nod.

“Amelia and Zel, I need you two to scout the west side for me.”

(A) “You can count on us Miss Lina!” Amelia replied as Zelgadis nodded once in acknowledgment with a grunt.

“And that leaves Kat and I to check the northern sector…” The redhead mused while scratching the back of her head in thought. We entered from the south so… “I guess it’d be best to just meet back in the heart of the city in 5 hours and go over what we’ve found and then figure out where to go from there afterwards.”

(Z) “That sounds like a plan Lina.” Zelgadis said with a chin on his hand. “5 hours should be a sufficient amount of time to get at least some sleuthing done… Let’s go Amelia.”

“Right, Mr. Zelgadis!” The princess chirped before spurring her horse forward. “See you guys in five!”

(S) “We should get going too Gourry Dear.” The raven haired girl prodded.

“Oh, yeah right… But just one thing Sylphiel…?” The swordsman savant asked as he snapped the reigns signaling the mount to begin trotting.

“What’s that Gourry Dear?”

“Which way is East again…?”

The shrine maiden merely sweat-dropped with a little smile and pointed east at this.

(L) “And then there were two…” The sorcery genius said with a content little sigh.

“Indeed…” The mostly platinum haired warrior agreed with a chuckle as the duo turned their steeds north. “So did you plan this or what?” She added in amusement.

“I didn’t have to honestly.” Lina admitted with a one armed stretch, keeping one hand on the reigns. “I just suggested that the most logical thing to do would be to split up in order to cover more ground at once, and everything else fell into place on it’s own after that.”

“But you knew what the inevitable outcome of that suggestion would be.” The ex-assassin deducted.

“Yep.” The redhead replied while scrutinizing a rundown looking shop.

“All I can say is I’m glad that I’m on your side…” The half elf replied as she scanned the surrounding area for anything suspicious as they rode. “Manipulating people is almost as easy as breathing for you.”

“You really think so?” The sorceress turned her attention back to the older girl to ask.

“I really do.” Katibree said with a smirk and a nod.

“I guess I’ve heard similar things to that from people before…” Lina said almost absently while gazing up at the sky. “Do you think that’s a bad thing…?” She added while looking at the half drow once more.

The ex-assassin merely shrugged at this. “Well it’s definitely a powerful gift in itself, and with someone with your charisma it’d only be natural for you to begin to use it without really realizing it… but the ability itself is pretty much neutral, it’s how you decide to use it that makes the difference.”

“How I decide to use it…” The redhead repeated to herself before something caught her attention. “This place has a public library…? This I have to see.” She added while hopping down off of her mount and heading up the steps.

“Uhm… Red, aren’t you even going to secure your horse…?” The mostly platinum haired warrior called as she tied up her own mount.

“Nope!” Was the younger girl’s only reply.

“…Have it your way.” The half elf conceded while placing her arms behind her head and following behind the sorceress while taking in the structure of the building leisurely.

“Wow, this place actually has a pretty decent selection of books…” The sorceress said approvingly after making it inside and giving the place a quick once over.

“Yeah, it’s not too bad from what I can tell.” The older girl agreed before making her way towards the back of the library.

“Hey, where ya headed?” Lina called.

“I just want to check and see what the ‘lawless city’ has to offer real quick; don’t worry, I know what section you’ll end up in.” The half elf replied with a wink.

Am I really that predicable…? The redhead wondered to herself with a little wave before turning to search for a section that hopefully had an updated volume of the newly discovered spell concept records.

A few minutes later the sorcery genius found what she was looking for. Know it… know it…made it…heard of it, not too useful…know it…know it…oh, that’s one I don’t know! She thought to herself as she flipped through the book.

Just then, Katibree came walking up from around the bookcase. “Hey Red, take a look at what I found…”

“Hum, what’s that?” Lina asked while closing the book that she’d been skimming through and sliding it back into it’s slot in on the shelf.

“Just take a look.” The half elf reiterated while handing the sorceress the book with a grin.

“The…Karma…sutra…?” the redhead read slowly. “The cover’s blank other than the title… what’s so special about it?” She asked while opening the book before turning a brilliant shade of red and slamming it closed. Kat this practically pornography!” The younger girl hissed in embarrassment.

“I’d like to think of it more as… educational material for research purposes.” The half elf said with a careless little shrug.

“Educational material my - - !”

(?) “Uhm… excuse me…?” A girl’s voice called from behind her.

“Eh?” The sorcery genius turned to ask before hurriedly hiding Katibree’s chosen ‘educational material’ behind her back. “…What’s up?”

(?) “Well, I was wondering if by any chance…you could be… the great and powerful sorcery genius Lina Inverse…?” The redheaded girl of about 16 or 17 and just about the same height asked hopefully while smoothing out her apprentice sorceress robes somewhat self-consciously.

Lina leaned in closer to get a better look at her at this. “You forgot to put most beautiful in the title, but yeah, that’s me.” She replied while studying the younger redhead with interest. “And just who might you be?”

“Oh, my name is Lynn Elizabeth Kinnis… but, my friends call me Linni-kinns for short…” The sorceress in training replied while rubbing the back of her neck with a grin. “It’s really an honor to meet you, I’ve been following your work since I read about that ancient statue of you and some kid with the sword of light found on that abandoned island that elves used to live on… At least I think it was you… but the statue was hella old… and speaking of elves… who’s that?” She asked while peering around Lina at Katibree.

(L) I think I remember something like that, but there’s so many holes in my memory… Lina mused to herself.

“The name’s Katibree, pleased to meet you.” The ex-assassin replied while stepping forward to shake her hand.

“Good to meet you too! So what are you…? Lina’s bodyguard or something?” Linni-kinns asked.

“Well, it’s not often that someone that’s as powerful as Red is needs protection, I’d say I’m closer to the position of backup.” The mostly platinum haired warrior replied with a smirk.

(Ly) “Back up huh…?” The younger redhead mused thoughtfully.

(L) “Yeah well, close enough.” The sorceress agreed. “And for the record, I’m 19 not… over 1,000 years old or whatever the rumor is that’s going around these days… Anyway, my guess is you wanted some pointers right…?” She added while doing her best to nonchalantly slide Katibree’s latest point of interest into an available spot on the shelf while drawing the least amount of attention.

Lynn squealed happily at this. “Ooooh would you really do that for me??”

“Yeah no problem - -“

“Oh what were you reading…?” She asked excitedly while reaching for the book that the sorcery genius had just put away.

“Uhm…it ah… was just something Kat… brought over for me to check…out, you wouldn’t be interestedreally.” The older redhead explained hurriedly as a fresh blush began to color her cheeks.

“I doubt that, if it caught the eye of a sorceress of your standing for even a second, it’s definitely at least worth taking a look at.” The sorceress in training deducted, grabbing the book off the shelf and opening it, not even bothering to look at the cover. “So what’s it all about - -“ Was all she managed before her face followed suit with Lina’s.

After a long minute of silence Linni-kinns lifted a single red eyebrow before looking up from the ‘educational material’, moving her yellow eyes back and forth from Katibree to Lina slowly.

“So… your ‘back up’ brought you this book to look at…?” The sorceress in training finally asked carefully.

“T-that is… well ahm…” Lina stammered.

“Just what type of ‘back up’ is Katibree providing you with exactly Miss Inverse…?” Lynn persisted coyly with her eyelids lowered.

“Ah, hah haaah…” The older redhead laughed while rubbing the back of her neck nervously while avoiding eye contact at all costs, apparently at a lost for words at the moment.

“Huuuum…?” The sorceress in training inquired of the half elf this time.

“Oh no, this is all Lina.” The ex-assassin laughed while holding out her hands in a warding gesture.

“Come on you can tell me… it’s the forbidden love isn’t it??” Linni-kinns cooed while leaning toward Lina with her hands clasped together and hearts in her eyes.

“I… I guess you could call it that…” The sorcery genius finally admitted quietly. “Just…keep it down Ok, we’re kinda on the down low right now.”

“You’re keeping it a secret?” Lynn asked in disbelief. “Gods, if I had a girlfriend that looked like her…” She began before suddenly jumping on top of a nearby bench and spinning around. “I’d shout it from the rooftops!” She exclaimed with a grin.

(L) “Uh Linni… this is a library…” Lina whispered with a hand to her mouth.

“I’d be all like, lookie here at my girlfriend; isn’t she hot?’ The sorceress continued with a flip of her hair. “Don’t we make a cute couple? Aren’t you jea-lous? Don’t you wish you were me…?” She said while gesturing flamboyantly.

Katibree merely smiled and covered her face while shaking her head at this while a certain sorcery genius followed suit while sweat-dropping. “What part of down low did she not understand…?” The redhead groaned.

Just then a librarian came around the corner and shooshed the rambunctious girl.

Lynn hopped down from the table while pouting before pulling down an eyelid and sticking out her tongue as the older woman walked away. “Humph, just bitter cause your youth’s already over ya dried out old goat…” She huffed under her breath.

(L) “Anyway, I’d love to be able to do that and all… but that’s allot easier said than done.” The sorcery genius explained with a sigh. “It’s allot more complicated than that.”

“How so…?” The sorceress in training inquired. “I mean if you two have already fallen for each other, what else is there?”

“Well… there’s this guy…” Lina began while rubbing her temples.

“And you can’t make up your mind?” Linni-kinns interjected. “Well then that’s easy, you take the guy and I’ll take Katibree off your hands! What do ya say Katibree, feel like tradin’ your old model in for a shiny new one - -“ Whatever else the younger redhead had to say was lost to a trademark Inverse headlock as a certain mostly platinum haired warrior looked on while laughing quietly.

“Oh now you’re really pushing it, my girlfriend is not up for grabs and I’m not up for trade!” The sorceress said with a single fang showing while giving the younger girl a nuggie. “I never said that I couldn’t make up my mind, what I was trying to say is I’m not sure how to tell him we’re together! Together as in I made up my mind as to who I wanted to be with a long time ago!”

Ouch, ow, ow, ow, ow… I get it, I get it, Igetit!” Lynn laughed while struggling to get out of the hold. “I was just kidding anyway!”

“Yeah, I’ll bet!” Lina said before releasing the hold and folding her arms with a grin.

Just then, the same librarian came around the corner and shooshed once again.

(K) “Our apologies.” The half elf said as either redhead shot the woman a dirty look.

(L) “Either way, you having the hots for Kat here aside… you’re a practicing mage right?”

“That’s right!”

“But, I haven’t seen an academy here… are you just passing through?”

“No, I study here… it’s not actually an academy though, it’s closer to a regular school.” Lynn explained. “The reason I decided to study here is because there’s less restrictions on what is taught, they teach spells like unlock and several others that would normally be illegal to teach…” She continued before trailing off and looking down at the book she was still holding. “…I’ll be right back Ok? Don’t move!” She added suddenly before running off.

“Where’s she going all the sudden?”

“Who knows, she’s quite the character though isn’t she?” Katibree asked wryly.

“You can say that again.” The redhead agreed while scratching the back of her head in bemusement.

Moments later the younger redhead came back and handed Lina a different book.

“What’s this?” The sorcery genius asked.

“The alternate version… it’d probably be more relevant…” Linni-kinns explained with a knowing little smile.

“The alternate version…?” Lina repeated while opening the book as the half drow looked over her shoulder.

“I’m starting to like this town more and more.” The half elf chuckled as the sorceress closed the book with a deep sigh.

“And why would a kid like you know exactly where to look in order to find something like this…?”

“Hey, I’m not much younger than you are, and besides… I’ve always thought that innocent maidens like myself should have some type of education before giving of themselves to that special person anyway.” Lynn explained matter of factly.

Who’s innocent?” The sorcery genius retorted while gesturing at her with the book.

“Eh heh, y-you can be innocent and informed at the same time…!” The younger redhead argued in embarrassment.

Lina merely looked at her doubtfully at this.

“You can!” Linni-kinns laughed.

“…If you say so…” The sorcery genius finally said while shaking her head with a shrug and a little smile. “Anyway Kat and I are kinda on a time constraint here, so if you want some pointers it’s gotta be quick.” She explained while putting the book away which was immediately retrieved from the shelf by a certain ex-assassin afterwards. “So what are you currently studying?” She asked after rolling her ruby colored eyes at the half elf’s blatant display of interest in the ‘alternate educational materials’ they’d just been brought.

“Um, well I’m studying fire magic right now… I’m good with Flare arrows and the like, but when I try and cast a Fireball… it’s like it just shoots straight out in a big flame from my hands, I mean it’s supposed to be a ball you can throw right?”

“Well technically yes, but there are different versions of the spell that you can mix and match.” The sorceress explained. “It sounds like you’re just using the default Fireball spell like you’d cast a Flare arrow or Elmekia lance spell. Those spells already have a set form built into the chant, but with a more complex spell like Fireball you need to visualize the form you want the spell to take in your mind before you fire it off.” Which is something I still haven’t been able to do with the Ra Tilt after all these years… there’s got to be something that I’m still missing there…I can’t get the spell to even spark, let alone fire…She added to herself silently with a rustle of her crimson colored mane.

“Ok, I think I get it…” The sorceress in training said while closing her eyes and cupping her hands in front of her.

Katibree looked up from her book with some concern as she felt the magical energy growing within the younger redhead. Just then, Lina produced a slipper and whacked Lynn across the back of the head with it. “Just what did you think you were doing just now…?” She asked with lowered eyelids.

“Visualizing the shape of the spell like you told me too…?” Linni-kinns replied while holding the back of her head with crocodile tears in her yellow orbs. Where the heck’d that slipper come from…?

“In the middle of the library.” The sorcery genius deadpanned.

“Sorry… I got a little over excited I guess, that happens sometimes…” The sorceress in training explained sheepishly.

“I guess I have that problem myself sometimes too…” Lina admitted while rubbing the back of her neck. “Anyway, we really should get going Linni - - “

“Awwww, but you only showed me one thing and I haven’t even had the chance to test it out yet!” The younger redhead complained. “Are you guys still going to be in town at least? You could give me pointers while you two are walking around doing what you need to do or something!”

“Well yeah, at least for a couple more hours, but it’s the middle of the day… shouldn’t you be in school anyway Linni?”

“…Well, yeah…” The sorceress in training finally admitted crestfallenly.

The sorceress lifted a single crimson eyebrow at this.

“But… I’m already way ahead of everyone in my class and the teacher just keeps lecturing about stuff that I’ve already mastered over and over again for the people that haven’t gotten it yet and it’s really boring…” Lynn tried to explain in frustration. “That’s the whole reason I’m here to begin with, the rest of the class hasn’t even gotten to the basics of casting a Fireball yet… they’re still on Flare bit and Flare arrow, so I came here to try and teach myself.”

I can definitely sympathize with her there, going through the academy for me was mostly like just going through the motions just to get the official credentials… I usually knew 75 to 80 percent of what the professors were teaching already if not more… The sorcery genius thought to herself with a little smile. “I can understand that and all Lynn, but what kind of role model would I be if I knowingly kept a bright and up and coming mage such as yourself out of school?” She finally asked after a moment of thought.

The sorceress in training was silent for a good moment at this while thinking of her counter argument.

(L) “You can practically hear the gears turning in her head.” Lina whispered to Katibree with a grin.

You’re just cruel sometimes.” The mostly platinum haired warrior laughed.

(Ly) “Well, the way I see it…” Linni-kinns finally piped up. “What sense does it make to go to school to be taught by stock mages with general knowledge, when I have the opportunity to learn from an up and coming great sage that already knows more than all of them combined ever will? Besides after you give me a few pointers I’ll go straight back to school, I promise!” She added hopefully.

“Hum… I don’t know…” The older redhead mused in mock apprehension.

“Pleeeeeeaaase…?” The younger redhead pleaded with puppy dog eyes.

“Well… what do you think Kat?” The sorceress asked.

“…I don’t see why there’d be a problem.” Katibree replied with a shrug.

Woohooooo!” Lynn cheered while jumping up and down before that same librarian came around the corner and shooshed her once more. “Oh shove it where the sun don’t shine ya wrinkled ol’- - Mmmmphfpmmm…!” She finished as Katibree restrained her and covered her mouth with a black gloved hand.

“We’re terribly sorry about that.” The half drow said with a small bow as Lina resisted the urge to flip the woman the bird with a roll of her ruby colored eyes.

“Let’s just get outta here… time to lose the porn Kat.” The sorceress said with a sigh.

“It’s not porn!” The ex-assassin laughed. “It’s more like an instruction booklet actually…”

“… I… we…look there’s no need to have instructions on that…” The sorcery genius finally managed while glancing over at a very interested Linni-kinns with a blush. “J-just put it away Ok…?”

“Ok…” The mostly platinum haired warrior began while flipping through the book until she found what she was looking for. “…Tell me you don’t want to try that.” She added while holding the book up so that the older redhead could see it.

“Oh my… Oh my Gods, is that even possible- - Linni… can we…get a little privacy here?” The sorcery genius asked the younger girl currently standing on her tippy toes and peering over her shoulder.

“Heh heh, sorry about that…” Linni-kinns said while backing up sheepishly.

“I say we sign it out, what could it hurt?”

“Fine… if you feel so strongly about it then go ahead, but I’m not gonna go sign it out with you.” Lina finally conceded with a white gloved hand over her face in mortification.

(Ly) “So it’s not just one guy you’re worried about then…” Lynn said quietly. “You’re worried about what everyone thinks.”

“…What… was that…?” The sorceress slowly removed her hand from her face and locked eyes with the younger mage to ask.

“You told me earlier that you weren’t ashamed of how you feel about each other, but you won’t even check out a book on how to put more variety into your love life with her in front of a complete stranger that you probably won’t ever see again?” Linni-kinns asked with her arms folded. “That guy’s not here right now is he?”

“No he’s not.” Lina answered with an unreadable expression on her face as Katibree did her best to gauge the fiery redhead’s reaction to the unexpected criticism.

“Then what’s the big deal?” The sorceress in training asked with a shrug. “You two are supposed to support each other’s interests as a couple, so what if that means enduring a little embarrassment in front of a complete stranger?”

“……………… Mind your own business will ya?” The sorceress genius finally replied with a smirk. “We’ll meet you by the front door in a few.” She added more quietly while taking an arm of the ex-assassin. “Let’s go ya big perv…”

“Don’t act like you’re not even remotely curious.” The half drow chuckled.

Lynn broke into a huge smile as the two headed toward the library counter to check the book out before virtually bouncing in the general direction of the entrance.

Once the duo had made it to the counter, the mostly platinum haired warrior set the book down in front of the middle aged woman behind it wordlessly.

“According to the tag here, there’s more than one copy of this book available; did you want to check it out or buy it?” The woman asked before opening the book to catalogue it as checked out or sold and raising her eyebrows at the contents within.

The half elf merely looked at Lina and grinned at this question.

“…Go ahead…” The redhead laughed quietly before burying her face in the older girl’s arm as the librarian looked at first one girl and then the other in amusement.

“If that’s the case, we’ll purchase it.” Katibree replied while touching her forehead to the top of the younger girl’s head with a grin.

“Very good, that’ll be 20 silver then ladies.” The woman said in a business like manner but with a twinkle of good humor in her grey eyes. “Thank you for your donation to keep this facility up and running.” She added while taking the coin from the half elf.

“It’s our pleasure.” The ex-assassin replied with a slight nod of her head.

“How long has it been if you don’t mind me asking?” The librarian asked pleasantly as she placed the coin in a small safe.

“Officially…? I’d say we’re coming up on the 3 month mark now aren’t we Red?” The mostly platinum haired warrior asked.

“That sounds about right, yeah.” The sorceress agreed shyly.

“Well congratulations, you two make a beautiful couple.” The woman said with a warm smile after fitting the book with it’s proper case and handing it to the redhead.

“T-thank you…” The sorcery genius replied, her blush flaring back up to full effect as the two left the counter and headed for the entrance to the library where Linni was waiting.

(Ly) “So how’d your encounter with the random stranger go?” Lynn asked coyly as the two girls came walking up.

(L) “She said… we make a ‘beautiful couple’…” Lina said quietly.

“Well, you two do look good together… but not as good as - -“

“Mono Volt…” The older redhead replied with a nonchalant pat on Lynn’s shoulder guard.

“What - - Aaaarrrrgghhh!” The sorceress in training exclaimed as she was unceremoniously shocked. “…Urgh….” She finally managed from her position on the ground after blowing out a bit of smoke and shaking her head from side to side to shake off the char. “Fine, I’ll lay off the girlfriend jokes already…” She couldn’t help but laugh as she stood.

“You really do catch on quick!” The sorcery genius teased while rustling the yellow eyed girl’s red mane vigorously. “But seriously we really do have stuff we need to do so let’s get down to business eh?”

“I understand.” The younger redhead replied decidedly more solemnly as they walked down the steps of the library.

As the trio made their way to the street, the sorcery genius glanced over at the horses. Wow he’s actually still there? “Ok, so first things first…” She began after they’d made it to a fairly secluded area in what was probably not the best neighborhood in town. “During this exercise I want you to visualize a ball of energy in your mind and concentrate on pouring your energy into that ball you’re imagining and channel raw magical energy between your hands.”

“Ok.” Lynn said before taking a deep breath and closing her eyes, cupping her hands loosely in front of her as a slowly whirling vortex of energy began to twist around her causing a certain half drow to step away to put some distance between herself and the sudden energy flare up.

“You’re all over the place Lynn, there’s no point in letting the water from a faucet go down the drain unused; that ball you’re visualizing is your cup, so use it.” The sorcery genius instructed with her arms folded, her crimson tresses fluttering slightly as the younger girl’s magical output increased. “Focus.” She added more forcefully as she felt the sorceress in training’s control slipping.

Linni-kinns furrowed her eyebrows with a little growl of frustration at this before finally being able to successfully manipulate her energy by imagining it flowing to one spot. Just like in the library… She thought to herself determinedly as the once mostly colorless forming ball of energy suddenly flared orange and grew in size.

(K) “Um…”

Lina merely looked at this with a nervous smile sporting a fang. She just changed raw magical energy into a fireball with sheer force of will…that’s… a pretty high end trick and a dangerous one at that…”That’s pretty impressive Linni, but go ahead and reign it in and dispel it…”

The younger girl opened her yellow eyes and blinked at this. “How do ya do that? Hey, this looks like a Fireball…” She added in bemusement.

“That’s because it is a Fireball! What do ya mean, how do you do that??” The older redhead asked haggardly. It’s the fundamental basics that everyone’s supposed be taught before they even begin casting anything more powerful than a light spell!”

“Oh really…? I must of skipped that day or something…” Linni-kinns replied with a sweat-drop as she continued to pour more energy into the growing Fireball. “So… how do I….. reign it in…?” She added with a laugh.

“Imagine it in reverse, reverse!” The sorcery genius exclaimed with both hands to her head as Katibree backed even further away with a sweat-drop of her own.

“Ok…. Faucet in reverse, faucet in reverse…” The younger redhead chanted to herself with her eyes squeezed shut as the formally contained vortex of magical power was once again unleashed.

“I said reverse the faucet, not break it and flood the damned kitchen!” Lina exclaimed while rustling her hair in agitation.

“Sorry!” The younger girl called back while struggling to control the now beach ball sized orb of orange energy.

“Ok just forget it, listen to me carefully… I need you to chuck it in the air and once it’s far enough away, snap your fingers while imagining the energy blasting outwards and shout ‘break’!” The sorcery genius instructed while shielding her face with an arm and gauging the make up of the Fireball.

“Gotcha!” Lynn affirmed before promptly chucking the fireball.

Aiiiieeeeeee, what the hell do ya think you’re doing??” The older redhead exclaimed in disbelief.

“I thought you said to chuck it - -“

“In the air, not at a fricking shop - - !” KRA-KOOOOW!!

The resulting explosion took out 3 buildings.

“Oops…” Linni-kinns said quietly with a little wince after the three of them had braced themselves against the aftershock of the explosion, their tresses and capes rustling behind them wildly.

“Oops…” The sorcery genius repeated while staring at the chaos expressionlessly, partially hypnotized by the flames as people began to gather while muttering. How many times have I said that in my life time for pretty much the same thing? She wondered to herself. “That had some pretty impressive kick in it for a fledgling mage Linni.”

You really think so…?” The sorceress in training asked with a flush of pleasure at the seasoned mage’s praise as yet more people began to gather.

(K) “It’s the wrath of the Monstrous Zelmogustar!” Katibree suddenly exclaimed to the gathering on lookers. “We should all go to our shrines and pray for his forgiveness least he strike down this Kingdom and all it inhabitants for displeasing him!” She continued while gesturing dramatically. Let’s just hope Queen Zoanna requires her residents to be a fanatical as she is to stay here…

At this outburst some of the onlookers began to moan and gnash their teeth while others dropped to their knees and began praying right there, while still others ran off to their respective spots to pray.

Yup, that did it. The half elf thought to herself with a smirk.

The two sorceresses looked at the ex-assassin in bemusement at this.

“What?” The half drow asked with a shrug and a smile. “Come on!” She laughed before jogging off, gesturing for them to follow.

(Ly) “It… seems like she’s used to doing this type of thing…” Linni-kinns deducted while jogging along side the older redhead with a grin.

“Yeah, she’s become a natural at redirecting the focus of cataclysms from the actual source for some reason.” Lina replied with a grin of her own.

“Does she have a younger sister?” The sorceress in training asked hopefully.

“Nope, but rumor has it that she has a brother.” The sorcery genius answered wryly.

“I heard that Red.” The ex-assassin called over her shoulder causing the sorceress to giggle.

“Is he cute?”

“I guess so, but he’s way self conscious of his appearance although no one else seems to think it’s that bad… and besides he’s kinda seeing someone else right now anyway…”

“Darn it, can’t a girl catch a break?”

“Don’t worry you’ll find someone, believe me… if I can, anyone can.” The older redhead replied as they finally caught up to Katibree who was leaning against a wall near a restaurant.

“Why do you say it like that…? I mean, you’re really pretty…”

“It wasn’t so much my looks that was the problem… people just tend to get a complex when they consider asking a girl on a date that has the power to save or destroy the world I guess.” Lina explained. “I really haven’t had many suitors over the years just blatantly ask me out, and the ones that did were usually pretty far off the deep end.”

“Did… Katibree ask you out…?”

(K) “Nope, I’m not crazy.” The half elf replied before receiving a punch to the arm. “I’m not!” She laughed.

“I did most of the work, she was fighting and clawing the whole way.” The sorcery genius agreed with a chuckle.

“Ok, so I guess the moral of the story is to try and get a boyfriend or girlfriend before I become super powerful and famous?” Lynn asked with a grin.

“It’d definitely be easier for you in the long haul I’d think.” Lina replied with a nod while patting the younger redhead on a shoulder pad.

(G) “Linaaaaaa!” Gourry suddenly called on horseback from a distance. “What’s up Katibree?” He added with a cheerful wave.

(S) “Hey you two!” Sylphiel called from behind him while waving as well.

“Heya gang!” The sorceress called back while Lynn observed with interest as the two older girls just barely noticeably put more distance between themselves unconsciously.

The mostly platinum haired warrior merely waved back with a smirk.

So is that the guy…?” Linni-kinns whispered to the half drow.

“That’s right.” The ex-assassin affirmed with a nod.

He’s hot, since Lina doesn’t want him… I’ll take him!”

There’s a problem with that, she’s already been trying to get him interested in other people; he’s just too hung up on her.”

Some girls have all the luck…” The younger redhead pouted.

(L) “Be careful what you wish for Linni, what you think would be a blessing can turn out to be allot closer to a curse.” Lina said cryptically as the swordsman savant and the shrine maiden came riding up.

(G) “Hey who’s this?” The blonde warrior asked while jumping down from his mount before helping the raven haired girl down as well. “From far away I thought there were all of the sudden 2 Lina’s and that the world was about to end!” He added with a laugh.

“Oh this is Linni-kinns, and yeah the world might be in some serious trouble with two of me running around.” The sorcery genius joked back with a grin.

(S) “Nice to meet you Miss Linni-kinns, and speaking of trouble, what happened further up the street?” Sylphiel asked. “Did you get into a fight Miss Lina?”

“No actually, that incident was closer to a… training session gone array you could say.” The sorceress explained while rubbing the back of her neck as Lynn shook Gourry’s hand in greeting. “I was giving Linni here some pointers and things kind of got out of hand… Anyway, have you two seen Zel and Amelia yet?”

(G) “No, not yet.” The swordsman savant replied.

(K) “There’s no way they missed an explosion of that magnitude, I’m sure that if we stick around a little longer they’ll show up.”

“You’re probably right about that Kat.” Lina said with a slight rustle of her crimson mane. “Alright, well once you meet the rest of the gang you’ve gotta get to class Linni.”

“Awww - -“ The younger redhead tried to complain.

“You promised, remember?” The sorcery genius chided. “Besides, you’ve caused enough collateral damage today… and that’s supposed to be my job.”

The gang shared a good laugh at this as Zelgadis and Amelia came trotting up on their horse.

(Z) “What’d we miss?” The heartless mystical swordsman asked wryly.

“Yeah and who’s that?” Amelia asked with interest.

“The name’s Lynn Elizabeth Kinnis, but you can call me Linni-kinns!” The yellow eyed girl answered energetically. “Nice to meet ya!”

“My name’s Amelia!” The Seyruun princess replied while jumping down off of her steed and shaking the sorceress in training’s hand vigorously. “Are you going to be traveling with us now too?”

“I’d love to, but I’m only a first year apprentice…” Lynn replied with a hand behind her head. “I mean, I wouldn’t mind learning out in the real world of course…”

(L) “Nice try Linni…” Lina chuckled while draping an arm over the younger redhead’s shoulders. “But you need to get your fundamentals down first at least, maybe I’ll check up on ya in 6 months to a year.” I might actually consider it if the situation we’re in wasn’t so dangerous, she’s definitely got some serious potential.

“Oh, would you really?? I promise to study really hard!” The yellow eyed girl gushed.

“I’ll make a note of it.” The sorcery genius affirmed.

“Will you… bring Katibree with you…?” The younger redhead asked hopefully.

“That’s up to Kat.” The sorceress replied with a shrug.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world, now get to class.” Katibree said while giving the sorceress in training’s bangs a light rustle.

“Ok, Ok… g’bye everyone, it was nice to meet you all!” The yellow eyed girl called while running off. “Don’t forget your promise Lina and Katibree!”

(L) “I won’t but don’t let me hear you’ve been slacking!” The redhead called through cupped hands as the ex-assassin waved goodbye.

“You won’t!” The sorceress in training called back before waving one last time and rounding a corner.

(Z) “She seemed like a nice enough girl.” Zelgadis mused.

(L) “She was, but man was she a handful!” Lina said while stretching lavishly. “Anyway, what do you guys say we talk about what we found out over some food?”

(G) “Yeah food!”

(Z) “You guys just ate a huge meal a few hours ago…” The mystical swordsman began to protest.

(K) “You can’t tell me you aren’t used to this already after traveling with them for all these years, Greywords.” The half elf joked with a resigned shrug as the crew headed into the ‘conveniently’ close eatery that they were standing in front of.

“Granted, but that still doesn’t make it any less absurd…” The chimera replied with a sweat-drop as the rest of the crew seated themselves and began pointing things out on the menu that they wanted to try.

Just then a shifty looking man with a red scarf wrapped over his face and head so that only his eyes were visible began to head toward the table, making a b-line for Lina as the two blue warriors conversed. The chimera and half drow abruptly cut off their conversation and barred the man’s way with their arms folded as Gourry partially stood from the table with his hand hovering over the hilt of Gorunova while scrutinizing the man warily.

(K) “Sorry, but this is a private party.” He’s not an assassin… closer to a scout or tracker. The half elf deducted.

(Z) “Is there some business you have with us?” The Zelgadis asked, the aura of malevolence around him practically physically tangible in the air.

The seedy man first looked at Katibree and Zelgadis with his smoke colored pupils and then at Gourry behind them before speaking. “I have a message for Miss Lina Inverse.” He said before slowly reaching into his shawl and producing a letter with writing on the front and red wax sealing the back of it.

The scout held out the letter to the half drow with his head slightly bowed and once she took it, he disappeared in a plume of grey smoke.

The ex-assassin merely chuckled in amusement while turning around to hand Lina the letter as Gourry stood the rest of the way up looking around suspiciously.

(Z) “Hold on a second, are you sure that’s safe?” The mystical swordsman asked.

“Relax it’s a legit letter Greywords.” The half elf replied while stifling a laugh as Lina took the letter wordlessly.

(A) “Then what was up with that creepy guy?”

“Let’s just say someone really wanted to find Lina, and they paid good money to do it.” Katibree explained. “That guy was a scout / tracker hired to find and deliver messages to people that would other wise be impossible to for one reason or another, I know because I used to do the work myself when I was working my way up the ranks of my Guild.”

(A) “Does that mean you can do that cool smoke thing too then Miss Katibree…?”

“That’s…more of a ninja thing actually - -“

(Z) “Anyway… if it’s legit, then who’s it from Lina?” The chimera interrupted with an exasperated sigh.

The sorcery genius remained silent a bit longer, re-reading the letter a few more times before finally speaking. “It’s… it’s from Fillia…” She finally managed in surprise as everyone minus Katibree and Sylphiel leaned over her to take a look.

Author’s notes:

(1.) Whew, sorry about the wait folks… it’s like my new job is sucking the creativity right outta me lol. I’ll definitely try and get future installments out in a more timely fashion.

 

Previous (Chapters 51-55)

Go Back To Archive